Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Don't ever hesitate to call an ambulance

I'll just clarify at the start that this will be a long post but it is for a reason.

Last Tuesday I got a call from my mum saying that my dad was in hospital after waking up in pain early that morning. My dad had a heart attack about 2 years ago so I was worried but he is also the strongest healthiest person I know so I was hoping nothing serious.

When I got to the hospital I was told my Dad had had a stroke and was being rushed to St Vincents in Sydney with a bleed on the brain. He is 69 years old and apart from his heart attack and prostate cancer about 12 years ago has never had a health issue - not even a cold or flu. He is up there now with at least one more operation and the prospect of a long rehab, the upside is that he is able to walk and talk and knows what is going on.

The doctors told us that what probably saved his life is the fact that mum did not hesitate to call an ambulance straight away. The only symptoms he had were a really bad headache (and for dad to actually say something it had to have been bad, he's that sort of bloke) and he was unable to move his left leg to walk properly, this was enough for her to realise what was going on on and thus she called an ambluance straight away. The sad part is that the doctors told us too often people don't want to 'be a hassle' and dont say or do anything, and the outcome is either severe impairment from delays in treatment or death. The really frustrating/strange/awful part about this is that there were no symptoms, no warnings - I literally had lunch with him less than 24 hours before this happened there was not even a sign of a single thing being wrong.

We are facing a very long road in terms of recovery and it basically defies all the logic I have to see my dad the way he is. I would never wish this on anybody so I guess this is just a simple story with the reminder that no matter what the issue, never be afraid to do what you have to for family or friends - it literally might save their life.