Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Re: My first 100 km ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Today was the Brissie to Bay 100km ride I've been building up to for the last 6 weeks - my first 100 km ride; and was it great!

Well, apart from having to be there at 5.45am for a 6.15 start... standing around in lycra in the stifling 11 degree heat until I was able to start at 7am. There were about 5000 riders taking part in the 100km route, and the starts were staggered in groups. But after that it was non-stop for the first 24km, with traffic control, all the way out to Wynnum, on the bay, and down to Cleveland Point. There were rest points with water and fruit available, but I had my home made energy bars (Thanks to the GCN Youtube channel) and electrolyte drink bottle.

The last part of the ride, from 63km onwards, was limited traffic control. As such, when there was a red light, there would be anything from 50-200 riders bunching up waiting for the green. This was also the start of the hilly bits, and where I found I was passing most people. I know it wasn't a race, but...

Once I got to the 80km mark, I was looking for fatigue to set in, but I got a puncture instead, and earned a 10 minute break! It started to get busy when the ride joined with the 50km and 25km courses.

It seems the cruellest hills were just after the 100km mark through Highgate Hill (Suburbs that have "Hills" in their name are usually difficult to ride through), with lots of people pushing their cycles up these (my guess, the 25km course participants), but the last half kilometre was a nice downhill run to the end.

A nice surprise as I turned in toward the finish line in Musgrave Park, they announced my arrival on the loudspeaker as I crossed! Some poor people must have had the job of looking up the entry numbers to bring up the names of the rider for the announcer to call out as they came over the line (over 9000 riders in all the events!)

In the end, I completed the 104km course in 4hr 7min, with about 28 mins in downtime with rest stops and puncture repairs. I averaged 25.3 km/hr, which I'm happy with. Six weeks ago, I'd rarely average that speed on my 18 km commute!

So all in all, what a fantastic day! I'll do it again in a flash. I even managed to raise over $400 for MS before the event (another thing I've never done before!)

And I have to give a big thanks to the guys on here who have given me tips and advice, sharing their experience along the way. I've taken it all on board, which led to an enjoyable day, and I could have gone a lot further! Cheers!
Swanny, that is an awesome effort. You should be proud that that was your first 100, as I heard it was a gruelling course, even for some of the regular riders. I also did the Brissie to Bay yesterday, but seeing as my a55 hasn't been on the bike for the last 18 months (I've probably only ridden 80kms in that time - embarrassing I know) I only did the 25km, which was full of hills anyway. But I knew the hills in Woolloongabba and Highgate Hill, so my aim was just to finish without doing the walk of shame, and I achieved that, so I was happy.

Agree about the road closures etc... I thought that there would have been a better setup as the only road / intersection closures were up to the Gabba sports ground, beyond that we were just riding on the road with red light stoppages and just in normal traffic. I felt sorry for those kids doing the ride as it did get hairy coming back on Stanley St.

But good effort and now you should line up the Brisbane to Gold Coast in October
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: