Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
forced

Default info on dirt bikes wanted

Complete n00b to bikes and the most trouble i suppose im having is trying to figure out what kind of bike i should buy!

After that, what do all the ****in letters mean... YZ, XR, CR, DR, KX, bla bla bla.. so many, so confusing.

Ive never ridden a bike before, and im not a ****er when it comes to knowing my limits on things that can cause grevous bodily harm, so i want something that i can handle easy and pretty sedate, im 6"2 and would make a good jockey for my height

Im looking for a 125 of some kind, but im not sure about the whole 2 stroke 4 stroke thing. I know about the basic things like the differences in torque/rpm and the way they work etc, but about the maintainence side of things. Do 2 stroke bikes really need to be rebuilt every XX hours?!

Im probably looking to spend about 2500 on a bike, and would prefer it if it was somewhat 'legal' if i was to be pulled up on a trail (i.e. have a bike with rec reg). [how much does rec reg cost, and what are the limitations of it?] Can you ride a trail bike on the road to get to the trail you are going to ride on if its got rec reg?

The XR's seem to only come in 100 and then up to a 200. The yamaha TTR125 looks like a good bike, but there doesnt look like there are many in the trader.

Im never going to be looking at being a motorcross superstar, or a hardcore trail rider for that matter, i just want a bike that is light, easy to start, reliable, and one that i can have some real fun on once ever few weeks. I know riders who have bigger bikes and they are rooted at the end of it because most of the time all they are doing is fighting the huge power and weight of the bike to keep it upright.

p.s. anything has gotta be cheaper than pouring more money into a second car..... right?

p.p.s. anyone in vic know good trails (prefer on west side of melb) that are good for learners to ride on, hassle free.