Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Cooks Up A Counter Attack..

Ford cooks up a counter-attack

21 July 2006

James Stanford

Ford has locked in a Commodore counter-attack, with the Blue Oval preparing an updated Falcon model to counter the new Holden VE Commodore.

It won't be a big modification, but it is expected the BF II model will have styling changes to match the mechanical updates from last October. There could also be content additions in response to the Commodore.

Ford Australia president Tom Gorman would not comment on whether the Falcon would be given a styling tweak or upgrades. "I think it will be better to have a conversation next month," he says.

Ford will be one of the first customers of the VE Commodore, buying some cars to examine exactly what its main rival has come up with, but Gorman already has an opinion on the car.

"Frankly, they're really catching up to what we did at BA (2002), if you want to be honest, so we'll see what kind of effort they put into that," Gorman says.

Ford has already locked in part of its response, but is waiting to see what Holden does before it signs off on the final detail of its counter attack.

"We have to see what they do. The simple answer is I don't know where they're going to price it," Gorman says.

"My guess is the car's getting heavier, fuel economy's going to deteriorate -- there's going to be more cost in the vehicle. That's my guess just from what I know about."

Gorman admits the new Holden will make life tougher. "It's going to be a very challenging time. I wouldn't want you to think we're so arrogant that we're not paying attention to this," he says.

He is adamant the one thing Ford will not do is a Mitsubishi 380-style price cut to keep Falcon sales moving.

"If you come in and hack the price out of your offering all you're doing is killing the residual value. And when you have a lot of lease and fleet business, and some rental buy-backs you're killing yourself if you do that."

The Daily Telegraph

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post