Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #31
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with a lot of fleets going to a 4 cylinder policy, Holden will have the Epica at a mid 20's price apparently.

Hoping to take some sales from Camry.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #32
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

What people need to realise is that holden is not a company at all, it is simply a branding or a logo if you will. GM is the company. doesn't matter where these cars are made, they are still a GM car. a commodore is just as much a GM then a corvette or a daewoo its just that they have been made in different countries. GM are simply exporting GM made cars to Australia, which simply happen to be made in korea. Welcome to globalisation.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #33
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
What people need to realise is that holden is not a company at all, it is simply a branding or a logo if you will. GM is the company.
Really? Well, according to the corporate profile on their website, their name is "GM Holden Ltd."

Upon doing an ASIC search for "GM Holden Ltd," we get this result: http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bi...=ACN&srchsrc=1

Note this part: "Australian Public Company, Limited By Shares"

In case you don't understand, I'll spell it out for you: Holden is a separate company which happens to be wholly owned by an American parent comany. Just like Ford Australia. I hope that clears it up for you.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Anyhow, Holden have been making the Statesman in China for a while now.
They sell them in China, do they make them there though? I thought they export them.

Re $46k Vectras, that was the reason it was replaced, nobody bought them because they were so much more expensive than the previous model which was quite popular.

I think this could be good in the long term, it will force the Euro manufacturers to look at the cost of their cars. They are getting a bit out of control - eg to change a headlight globe on the currently Focus apparently you have to remove the bumper to take the headlight out, then you can change the globe.

Also in Europe cars of this size are regarded as expensive cars that only companies buy, not cheap family cars as they are out here.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #35
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
In case you don't understand, I'll spell it out for you: Holden is a separate company which happens to be wholly owned by an American parent comany.
I wonder if the average bogan knows this?
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #36
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
They sell them in China, do they make them there though? I thought they export them.
Yes. The cars badged as Statesmans are built here, but the ones which are badged as Buicks are assembled over there from CKD kits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Also in Europe cars of this size are regarded as expensive cars that only companies buy, not cheap family cars as they are out here.
It's funny watching Top Gear and seeing that they have to pay close to Fairlane money for a Ford Focus or VW Golf.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

We will soon be seeing Chinese cars on our roads, perhaps by the end of 2007. They are finally getting the quality up to where the koreans were at a decade ago...

Then you will think the current Barina is a Porsche compared to what the Chinese will offer I would think.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #38
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
We will soon be seeing Chinese cars on our roads, perhaps by the end of 2007. They are finally getting the quality up to where the koreans were at a decade ago...

Then you will think the current Barina is a Porsche compared to what the Chinese will offer I would think.....
The Korean rubbish still is very crappy. They are currently (in my opinion) at the build standard of a Friday VK/VL Commonwhore.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
with a lot of fleets going to a 4 cylinder policy, Holden will have the Epica at a mid 20's price apparently.

Hoping to take some sales from Camry.
But Epica's are small 6 cylinders though, so companies with 4 cylinder policies won't buy them.

As for Mondeo Vs Epica. No contest, the Mondeo is European luxury, quality, driving dynamics and class. The Epica is just cheap Korean garbage built for one objective, price. They won't even be considered rivals, they will be in totally different price brackets trying to attract totally different customers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post