Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up The Type R badge makes a return to Australia

Stumbled across this on another forum and thought it would be worthy of a mention. I'm guessing a competitor to the XR5 and such? I'm guessing though it might be priced out of the game. Time will tell I suppose.

Anyways I thought it looked hot as. 148kw from a N/A 2lt i-VTEC engine. Only 20kw less than my WRX and that's turbocharged! The same power level as the older Integra Type R and hooked up to a 6spd manual.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1723/hon...for-australia/

Quote:
This isn’t even a Japanese car, the Type R is British! Built at Honda’s Swindon plant in Wiltshire, the Civic Type R is a cult car in the UK, with its massive popularity ensuring over 500 customer orders – or 10% of the entire year’s sales run – before the official British launch date of March 1st.
VTEC kicked in y0 :

MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Looks aggressive. But the profile looks kinda Astra to me. I hope it goes.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

I'll take the Renaultsport Clio 197 when it arrives. 2.0litre N/A 4-cyl too, with 145kW @ 7250rpm... but it makes 22Nm more torque (215 vs 193Nm) and it arrives over 1000rpm lower (193Nm @ 6500rpm on the crappy Honda).

3kW less but 22Nm more... thankyou very much. Renault > Honda.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I'll take the Renaultsport Clio 197 when it arrives. 2.0litre N/A 4-cyl too, with 145kW @ 7250rpm... but it makes 22Nm more torque (215 vs 193Nm) and it arrives over 1000rpm lower (193Nm @ 6500rpm on the crappy Honda).

3kW less but 22Nm more... thankyou very much. Renault > Honda.
I wonder which one is faster? I wouldn't call the Honda crappy for the sake of 22nm of torque though. Much more to a car than power statistics. Each to their own I suppose.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I wonder which one is faster? I wouldn't call the Honda crappy for the sake of 22nm of torque though. Much more to a car than power statistics. Each to their own I suppose.
I've never liked Honda. But the thing I really don't like about them is that, unlike Audi, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc - builders of true high performance high revving engines, their examples rev high but have ZERO mid-range and low-end power, in comparison you've got cars like the Ferrari F430 which make 80-90% of their torque peak from 2000-3000rpm and then it climbs.

I know a guy who just bought a 2nd hand S2000... and LOL.... below about 6000rpm the thing is so SLOW. Without at least 6k rpm on-board it can't beat my Fiesta. That's pathetic IMO. It should be trashing my car at any revs, any gear, any time. They're realistically unseable engines, which they have spent ALOT of money on to make them slightly more useable day to day (enter VTEC) then they otherwise would be. Crap crap crap!

You may 'only' have 20kW more power in your WRX stock, but you've got well over 50% more torque, coming in at like 70% lower revs. A car like yours would make mince meat of a car like that Civic. Its faster then the more powerful (176kW) S2000 too.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I know a guy who just bought a 2nd hand S2000... and LOL.... below about 6000rpm the thing is so SLOW. Without at least 6k rpm on-board it can't beat my Fiesta. That's pathetic IMO. It should be trashing my car at any revs, any gear, any time. They're realistically unseable engines, which they have spent ALOT of money on to make them slightly more useable day to day (enter VTEC) then they otherwise would be. Crap crap crap!

You may 'only' have 20kW more power in your WRX stock, but you've got well over 50% more torque, coming in at like 70% lower revs. A car like yours would make mince meat of a car like that Civic. Its faster then the more powerful (176kW) S2000 too.
Having owned and raced an S2000 I would say your friend needs to learn how to drive it. Like all cars, you have to learn how to use it's power and how to drive it. It's not a straight line car.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

This should be a good piece of kit, even though it's a boy racers dream and resembles Darth Vaders helmet.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Will be interesting to see ... I think the original Accord Type-R was a british/Euro built/only version as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
colossus
Secret Sleuth

There is an article in the latest MOTOR mag on it - looks pretty hot for a hatch IMO.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A MPS Mazda 3 will destroy it.
It has double the torque :
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
A MPS Mazda 3 will destroy it.
It has double the torque :
Nope. Have you seen the latest wheels mag with there hot hatch test. 3 MPS and VXR are torque steering buggers, while they might have pace they dont have overall polish.

Honda's traditionally are well setup cars, im sure this one is two. Personaly I love the look of it to, very hard to stand out in the hatch scene.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wont be coming with an LSD, so its not going to handle as good as you might think.
Im not sure what the big deal is over its power either, that engine has been making the same power for 10 years. We could alteast get the Jap engine whcih has 15kw more.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Nope. Have you seen the latest wheels mag with there hot hatch test. 3 MPS and VXR are torque steering buggers, while they might have pace they dont have overall polish.

Honda's traditionally are well setup cars, im sure this one is two. Personaly I love the look of it to, very hard to stand out in the hatch scene.
I agree. Honda know how to set up a FWD that's for sure.

I have infact considered a DC2 Type-R, but the costs and advantages didn't quite go it's way when I was buying a car. I could go faster and have more fun whilst costing less.

But they definately make nice cars. If they brought out a turbo AWD that would put them into the game more but Honda have had this "anti-turbo" reputation for a while and mainly are about power-to-weight and engine effiency (power-per-litre).
Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

Wow, what an aggresive looking little bugger, It sure does stand out. Although peak power at 7800 rpm! I suppose that is normal for this style of car though.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I am, for some reason.... liking the styling of all these new cars that are coming out, look very futuristic indeed. I think you would have to see one in the flesh and have a fang in one before you could really comment on it though.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post