Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
kooky
WRX terrorist

biggest load of crap ever, what's the first instinctive thing an inexperianced driver does when they realise a loss of traction?

They hit the brake pedal, what does that do?

Disengages the cruise control.
Old 17-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #32
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
PS. Owners manuals should go further than stating in general terms that CC should be used only when "conditions warrant" or something similar. They should describe the dangers because a lot of people just don't know. You should also never use CC in undulating or twisty country roads. It really should ONLY be used in freeway type conditions in fine weather.
My owners manual says:

"Warning! To avoid the possibility of loss of control, the cruise control should not be used in heavy traffic (city driving), or on windy, slippery or unsealed roads"

Its in bold. I don't know how more blunt you can get than that!
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #33
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
My owners manual says:

"Warning! To avoid the possibility of loss of control, the cruise control should not be used in heavy traffic (city driving), or on windy, slippery or unsealed roads"

Its in bold. I don't know how more blunt you can get than that!
Excellent - that's how they ALL should be. BUT even then, how many bogans never read their manual? Maybe the suggestion that a sign be placed on the driver sunvisor is a good idea.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #34
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Excellent - that's how they ALL should be. BUT even then, how many bogans never read their manual? Maybe the suggestion that a sign be placed on the driver sunvisor is a good idea.
Like that would work.

What manufacturers need to do it when a car is picked up by the owner, it is a condition of pickup that the owner reads the manual from front to back and is tested on it before they are allowed to take the car. Anything that is written down and hidden can easily be ignored. Silly pipe dream I know, but its really the only way to force things down someones throat rather than rely on the "I hope they've seen it and know about it" thoughts.

I have an airbag warning on each of my sunvisors, but I only ever see it onced every couple of months, and then I've never taken the care to read it. But being the smart logical person that I am, I know it will basicially say don't sit too close to the wheel, use my seatbelt, dont place things in front of my chest and face, etc, etc.

It doesn't really matter where the warning are written, almost every driver out there thinks he is God, and will ignore the warnings and do it his/her own way anyways.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

This is an interesting read, including the commentary, which confirms my thoughts:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cruise-control-warning.html
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #36
xertia

EDIT: Haha, u beat me by milliseconds :P

Hehe, see hoax emails like this all the time.
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cruise-control-warning.html
xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post