Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
decibel
Starter Motor

Default Newby Question

Hi, new here but hoping you can help me out as I figured this is the hub of Ford knowledge.

I'm looking at buying an 99 AU sedan, the seller has it listed as an S model.
Looking at the images and features it appears to be a Classic or something less.

Looking further none of the windows are powered. Were there any models without power windows.
It also has a gas conversion, I was hoping to get some feedback on these and what to look out for.
The rims are the standard Futura rims and not the S one's, the grill is the honeycomb style S one leading me to believe maybe this has had some front end work and maybe isn't even an S or classic at all?

Your thoughts or would be much appreciated as its a fair drive from where I reside to check it out so I'm not familiar with these models.
Even some websites to read up on as my searches haven't come up with much but the specs on each model and looking at this car it doesn't fit into any of them..

Thanks in advance !
Mat

decibel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
decibel
Starter Motor

sorry can't delete and post in the right area...
My mistake
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

G'day Mat, welcome to the forum, I'll start from what I know, the S Falcon in the AU1 series had the same shark nose grill as the standard Forte, the alloys were a similar style to the EL XR but were more chunkier as apposed to the EL which had a rounded style...if you know what I am getting at. The S had a special large S at the bottom end of the rear spoiler on the rear gaurd and I believe electric front windows only. The spoiler was I believe a XR style, the classic had Futura type wheels honeycombe grill and from the pictures I have seen if a spoiler was included it was a lip type
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
decibel
Starter Motor

Cheers for the info, great forum

That gives me somewhere to start.
I found a site true blue fords which had great detail but I get the impression someone has changed the front over on this one, no idea where they got the front window winders cause I can't seem to find a model that didn't come with stock power fronts..

I'm only thinking this cause I did the same with an old XC GS I had and put the 79 front end on after a prang..
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the early povo pack falcons had wind up windows I used to drive a cab with wind up fronts. IIRC it was a 99 build there aren't too many around with the windups but they do exist

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
G'day Mat, welcome to the forum, I'll start from what I know, the S Falcon in the AU1 series had the same shark nose grill as the standard Forte, the alloys were a similar style to the EL XR but were more chunkier as apposed to the EL which had a rounded style...if you know what I am getting at. The S had a special large S at the bottom end of the rear spoiler on the rear gaurd and I believe electric front windows only. The spoiler was I believe a XR style, the classic had Futura type wheels honeycombe grill and from the pictures I have seen if a spoiler was included it was a lip type
100% correct mate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

http://www.trueblueford.com/AU_Falco...ifications.htm

Welcome aboard,

I found this site the other day which has really good specs on each of the models, Classic and S are different models Classics had a unique 11 spoke 15 x 6.5 alloy rims. Classic has the "Classic" decal on the boot lid. More like a cross between an XR and a Futura.

Personally I love the Classic model eh I bought one
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the early povo pack falcons had wind up windows I used to drive a cab with wind up fronts. IIRC it was a 99 build there aren't too many around with the windups but they do exist
Not just povo packs , my XR6 has wind ups :
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

This is my 99 AU Classic. Hope the pic helps.
Cheers, Adam.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

And here are some pics of my old S pack AU.

This picture shows the S badging under the spoiler

Interior (ignore the MOMO stuff). If the car really is an S then it should have the same pattern seat fabric and black interior too.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
decibel
Starter Motor

Cheers for all the responses, has given me heaps of info, now I know what I'm looking at !

The pics helped alot, very nice cars
Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibel
Cheers for all the responses, has given me heaps of info, now I know what I'm looking at !

The pics helped alot, very nice cars
Glad to be of assistance. All the best with your purchase.

Cheers, Adam.