Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Upper Engine Cleaner in AU

There is a thread in the B Series section about using Upper engine cleaner in their engines to clean out some of the gunk. Has anyone tried this (or Seafoam, a similar product) on an AU or would the higher k's of the engine be an issue.

Here's the thread:

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....2&page=1&pp=25

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
There is a thread in the B Series section about using Upper engine cleaner in their engines to clean out some of the gunk. Has anyone tried this (or Seafoam, a similar product) on an AU or would the higher k's of the engine be an issue.

Here's the thread:

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....2&page=1&pp=25
I have been "washing" the interiors of my motors for 40 years with water injection with good success , if you run big boost it's a must imho
years ago it was common to actually run a little water through a carboned motor ( into the induction)on a fast idle and blow all the carbon out but with modern fuels I cant see any reason to use the cylinder stuff after all a tank of hi-test and the motor will be clean
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is "high-test" a fuel additive or something else? So it's not worth doing?
Old 24-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
TE029
Blue Blooded

IMO the best and cheapest option here is to use a can of "Subaru" upper cylinder cleaner, When i was working for Audi this is what we used to use on a lot of these vehicles that used to carbon up the top end that badly that they would not even start...
(A lot of the euro. cars suffered this prob. due to multi/small valves and lower quality local fuel)
An onboard carbon blast/clean would do a more thorough job but for the cost i would be popping down to the local scooby do dealer and buying a can of this.

The ones I wish I never sold but you cant live in them...
XE ESP 351 4 speed in Red and Charcoal
ED XR8 Sprint 5 speed in Polynesian Green
2002 AUIII TE50 5.6lt 5 speed in Venom Red
2003 FPV GTP in Phantom
TE029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the engine being older and most probably having a larger amount of buildup isn't an issue? No chance of chunks coming off and doing damage inside?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I just don't want to break anything, especially anything internal :P
Old 24-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I don't think it's that good for worn motors, expect leaks from breaking down seals etc. I'm not game to try.

If it aint broke.......
Old 25-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used the Subaru stuff in 400,000km old VP V6 in my old corona and it didn't leak after. Idle smoothed out and left a lot of black crap on the driveway.
Old 26-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
munchkin323
AU XR6

From my understanding of the way motors operate, this stuff would have to do more harm then good. The cleaner supposidly frees up built up carbon (which is course). When the carbon frees up it needs to be forced out of the top end, which would have the same effect on piston/rings/barrel as throwing fine sand into your throttle body. It may be usual as a preventative to carbon build up on newer motors, but cant be good for older ones.
munchkin323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
RCar
Formerly ChunksNensja

No one should be worried about this stuff damaging your engine. If you pulled a head off and sprayed it directly onto the carbon you would see that it melts the carbon away and doesn't break off into giant lumps that will destroy your engine.
RCar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post