Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #31
JimNiki
71Mach1

we can't take it with us, most of us aren't tightwads ...we like to enjoy things...
I borrowed off the home to buy my mach1 ...

what else am I to do? wait till I'm 65? I'll probably go for a camry by then! hehe
Be happy but allow for abit of cash flow to also live happily...

PS, I would never have bought an old Sunday car if I wasn't prepared to do all the work on it myself... I've saved at least the cost of the vehicle again just in labour...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
disco

I actually think it's a sad indictment on the Muscle car scene, that the end of the muscle car dream has become all about your original GT-HO being 'only' worth $300K, instead of the $600K it fetched a few years ago!

It appears to me...the 'real' muscle car dream ended some years ago! Seriously this is nothing but an out-and-out disgrace!

My dream has always been to own a GT-HO Phase III, had I been in the postion to afford the very achievable price tag of $70-80K back in say 2001 / 2002, I could enjoy my muscle car dream. Instead now, less than a decade later when these wonderful cars have been around for some 40 odd years, we're all supposed to be crying into our beers over the fact that instead of a 500-600% value increase, the typcial Phase 3 owner now has to sleep at night knowing his car is only worth 300% more than it was 8 years ago!

So instead of an enthusiast having the chance to own a piece of muscle history for the same $$$ it cost to put a new HSV in your shed (as it was at the time before this madness), you now basically have to hock your house to the tilt (if you're mad enough to) to buy a 40 year old muscle car?

Gimme a f'kn break!

cheers,
Dave.

Last edited by disco; 18-08-2010 at 08:53 PM.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of cars have been for sale for a while. Prices are comming back to the enthusiast. Just about ready to put in some offers for some XR GTs. $35K - $45K is a realistic price for a nice original example.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #34
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

i think you would have a hard time finding a good coupe under $10k that wouldn't need some work. coupes that are in good condition that require no work are still selling for above $20k+ the only coupes or hardtops if you prefer that are cheap are lets face it rubbish but still bringing anything from $1k-$5k but then you end up spending at least $10k doing them up and finding parts
Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a young bloke I always had a soft spot fo MkII Jaguars, preferably a 3.8 4speed with overdrive. As the prices took off for these cars in the 80s they went from 10,000 to $50,000 and above as the generation that admired them got the financial stability to buy their "Dream Car". The price of these vehicles 20 years later has now settled to around $20-25k as the buyers that were driving the market age and get rid of the vehicles they are no longer using. I reckon the Muscle car market will do the same eventually, if you paid $80 -100K for a RPO for example you will get it back but it's never going to keep appreciating as the market demand for that vehicle won't last forever.

Regards,
Tote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #36
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
As a young bloke I always had a soft spot fo MkII Jaguars, preferably a 3.8 4speed with overdrive. As the prices took off for these cars in the 80s they went from 10,000 to $50,000 and above as the generation that admired them got the financial stability to buy their "Dream Car". The price of these vehicles 20 years later has now settled to around $20-25k as the buyers that were driving the market age and get rid of the vehicles they are no longer using. I reckon the Muscle car market will do the same eventually, if you paid $80 -100K for a RPO for example you will get it back but it's never going to keep appreciating as the market demand for that vehicle won't last forever.

Regards,
Tote
The Jaguar comparison doesnt hold any weight for me.The Jag market even at its peak wouldnt hold candle to the muscle car scene.

Enthusiasts aged 18 - 80 appreciate a good muscle car.
Demand still outstrips supply by a long way. The only thing slowing the muscle car market is the economy.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #37
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote

Regards,
Tote
I think this is a good comparison. Jags have a world market as well v's our local one and demand still slowed down. I would love a nice MK II or XK120.
The next boom will be what young blokes want/have now. Late model Monaros will be popular as will Turbo Falcons.
Only the very best muscle cars will comand any real money in the future.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #38
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the economy bounces back I think we'll see the prices head upwards again.

Someone once said to me, "You can never pay too much for a genuine muscle car, you can only pay it too soon."

Now is the time to buy.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
JG34JA

Default Muscle Car Dream

Disco said:

"I actually think it's a sad indictment on the Muscle car scene, that the end of the muscle car dream has become all about your original GT-HO being 'only' worth $300K, instead of the $600K it fetched a few years ago!

It appears to me...the 'real' muscle car dream ended some years ago!"

I'd agree, the days of being able to source a great performing local GT/GS sedan of XW-Y vintage cheaply, and the car not being an outright "celebrity" and highly visible are probably over.

For this reason it is great to look ahead - the same muscle formula exists at relatively cheap prices currently in the ED XR8 Sprint, EB XR6, EL Fairlane by Tickford, AU 220kw XR8, and to an extent the T1, 2 and 3 and EB/L GT. In this respect the dream is attainable.

The same sensation of driving a raw Aussie V8 is there in the Sprint (the car is an animal in manual form, its suspension is sprung with sheer purpose, steering is involved, gear ratios and engine torque range are superb, and it can hustle just as well as tour frugally in comfort - a true 'GT') The Sprint is currently next to invisible on the road (good!) and many people are shunning EA-D Falcons with a barge pole in general society and aspiring to very different machinery. Bingo! Here you have the recipe for superb bang for your buck: the muscle car dream for not too much money.

If they never become numismatic, fine. The driving will surely make up for any potential windfall gain, and that's the "muscle car dream" for me.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #40
jixel 78

Just a thought, back in the early 80`s my uncle had a mustard VG Pacer he paid $800 for, drove it like he stole it, everyone hated it, cut the roof out of it and used it for a fox shooter. If it was hidden away for all that time it wouldnt have created ANY memories,and he would have a little cash for `hiding it`instead of giving it a hiding. I dunno but if he hadnt taken me to get fish and chips one Friday night in it I might not have been into cars at all. Burning brake pads and fuel vapour still come to the nostrils when I think of that night. Top end $$$$ cars are white elephants in my opinion.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #41
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA

For this reason it is great to look ahead - the same muscle formula exists at relatively cheap prices currently in the ED XR8 Sprint, EB XR6, EL Fairlane by Tickford, AU 220kw XR8, and to an extent the T1, 2 and 3 and EB/L GT. In this respect the dream is attainable.

Certainly, all those will become muscles cars in the future, plus the XR8's and XR6 to a lesser extent.

It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't give a Walkinshaw away, now look at the prices.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #42
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

given enough money and a shed to hide them in I'd buy the following:

Ba MkII GT ( with the gauges on the dash, kinda A XW/XY THING)
Tickford Mustang. that litle 4.6 really screams
BA Typhoon
XH XR8 Ute
Subaru Imprezza, the model before they got the silly headlights, a 2 door WRX only for the rarity value
Holden VE ute, even I've got to admit they look good from the outside and the only other Holden I like is the SS Torana Two door
A 1993 Supra without any rice boy additions
A 4wd Celica

Regards,
Tote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #43
max_torq
From the Futura

The decent exchange rates means US classics are much more affordable, aussie muscle cars have to compete with all the mustangs, transams and corvettes pouring into the country...
max_torq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #44
XWGT