Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Default EF Running temp

Hey guys got an EF and just wondering where everyones temp gauge sits, on the NORMAL scale mine can go upto just the top of the R and thats the highest ive seen it go but highway cruising it sits on or under L is this normal to go upto just the top of the R or is it prehaps getting a little hot?

Cheers.
Old 22-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGER
Hey guys got an EF and just wondering where everyones temp gauge sits, on the NORMAL scale mine can go upto just the top of the R and thats the highest ive seen it go but highway cruising it sits on or under L is this normal to go upto just the top of the R or is it prehaps getting a little hot?

Cheers.
thermostat usually fixes the temp prob, usually around 20 bucks. e-series do get hot in summer, do some summer maintainence,cap,fliud,thermostat etc.
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy
thermostat usually fixes the temp prob, usually around 20 bucks. e-series do get hot in summer, do some summer maintainence,cap,fliud,thermostat etc.
Yeah sounds like the go, can you get an 80 degree thermostat for these and if so does anyone no the part number and brand? cheers.

EDIT: its a 6 pot by the way, and I beleive they come with 90degree standard but want to put in a 80

Last edited by CHARGER; 22-01-2005 at 08:44 PM.
CHARGER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

My Temp gauge usually sits dead centre on normal or in the L. The only time it's ever run so hot the warning beeper has gone off, was travelling through the very very hilly blue mountains on a 40 plus degree day.

Aren't the low and mid temp readings accurate enough?
Or is a thermostat something I should get too? :P
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

MY EB seem to be runnig very hot of late. Indicator on guage is usually 3/4 of the way up. Can seem to find the problem either. New water pump, new hoses, Raidiator is clear of obstructions, fan spins freely and sucks air. Could my thermostat be cactus?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
MY EB seem to be runnig very hot of late. Indicator on guage is usually 3/4 of the way up. Can seem to find the problem either. New water pump, new hoses, Raidiator is clear of obstructions, fan spins freely and sucks air. Could my thermostat be cactus?
I'd say so, especially if it hasn't been changed for a while, i did mine aboat 2 months ago, it looked ****ed, i put it in hot water,to test (just as an experiment) and it didn't even open. no wonder it was gettin hot!

as for the different thermo, i asked around at a few auto places, and i couldn't get a strait answer. nobody seems to know. and i couldn't find one.
Old 22-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

In that case, where would the best place to get a thermostat be? Ford, or a Auto outlet.

Also, god, i feel silly, but where it the thermostat located?
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 22-01-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In that case, where would the best place to get a thermostat be? Ford, or a Auto outlet.

Also, god, i feel silly, but where it the thermostat located?
any auto out let will do, ford are rip offs.
no reason to feel silly, i've learnt heeps on the forums.
where ur top radiator hose joins the engine, there are 2 bolts(on top) holding the thermo housing cover on. just undo them and there it is. pull the thermostat out and swap. easy as that.
Old 23-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
EL_futuraistic

Default hope this helps

Yeah, my EL gets upto about the M which is half way on warm days. I have seen it upto the R but only on a 35 degree day, in slow traffic going up mt dandenong. Yeah as most people have said, if ur worried check your thermostat BUT mine usually runs about A or L normal operating temperature.

If its getting up warm in peak traffic try to drive just to the left or right of the car in front to get some clean airflow.... sounds like total BS but it works for V8 supercars AND ive found it works well with my EL (particularly on the south eastern car-park of an afternoon)

Hope that helps
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #10
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Ive had bad experiences with non genuine thermostats before but both where in imports, RX7 and 180SX, id say it probably doesnt make a difference on the falcs but either way im keen to get an 80 degree thermostat instead of a 90degree (standard) because I just had my auto serviced and the guy put his electronic thermo thing on my radiator then my engine and the radiator was 80 and engine 90 so i figure 80 degree would be better way to go and lets face it on the Gold Coast you dont have any trouble keeping the car warm
Old 23-01-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy
any auto out let will do, ford are rip offs.
no reason to feel silly, i've learnt heeps on the forums.
where ur top radiator hose joins the engine, there are 2 bolts(on top) holding the thermo housing cover on. just undo them and there it is. pull the thermostat out and swap. easy as that.
I felt dumb, coz i know afair bit and have been on forums for yonks, and i was dumb founded. FUnny actually, i had the thermo housing off today coz i was looking for anything caught in the radiator, so i know exactly where it is now.

i might get a an 80, or lower if its available, simply because a car running cooler is always better, not to concerned about economy, can really get any worse, 350km/60ltr.
Quote:
Old 23-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #12
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Get a genuine thermostat! A radiator bloke (who does know what he's talking about) said they are a double acting type which most of the ones at other places are not. I got one today, it was $10 or so (don't remember exactly it was with some other stuff) so for a couple of dollars why risk it?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 02:48 AM   #13
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I felt dumb, coz i know afair bit and have been on forums for yonks, and i was dumb founded. FUnny actually, i had the thermo housing off today coz i was looking for anything caught in the radiator, so i know exactly where it is now.
lol. that is funny, let us know how u go with getting the 80. Im interested to hear. i wanna change mine aswell.
Old 23-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
NZ
~~~

Quote:
, fan spins freely and sucks air.
What do you mean spins freely, how are you testing it?

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

I got a genuine thermostat and it's ****ing terrible... but anyway.
Old 23-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Ive had bad experiences with non genuine thermostats before but both where in imports, RX7 and 180SX, id say it probably doesnt make a difference on the falcs but either way im keen to get an 80 degree thermostat instead of a 90degree (standard) because I just had my auto serviced and the guy put his electronic thermo thing on my radiator then my engine and the radiator was 80 and engine 90 so i figure 80 degree would be better way to go and lets face it on the Gold Coast you dont have any trouble keeping the car warm
I recommend not changing to an 80deg thermostat, I don't believe they make them anyway, as your car will run like shit with one.

Engines are designed to run hot, if you run an 80deg thermostat, the ECU will think the car is still warming up and use a lot more fuel.

I'm not sure if EA-ED's do it, but EF/EL's with climate control can read out the water temp. digitally. Every one i've seen runs between 94 and 99deg.

The middle section is labelled 'NORMAL' so its NORMAL for the temp to sit in that area.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #17
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MkII
What do you mean spins freely, how are you testing it?
tried spining it whilst the car was off, no unnormal resistance. Started car, could feel air being pulled from front of radiator, and air being pushed from behinde fan on water pump side.

Not really anything technical, but you never know, fan could have seized.
Quote:
Old 23-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #18
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Get a genuine thermostat! A radiator bloke (who does know what he's talking about) said they are a double acting type which most of the ones at other places are not. I got one today, it was $10 or so (don't remember exactly it was with some other stuff) so for a couple of dollars why risk it?
Cool, where did you go and get it? for 10 bucks, im not really concerned.
Quote:
Old 23-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #19
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

OH, sorry for Thread Hijacking, my last post then back on topic.

Im just getting sick of the temp sitting high, regardless of it being a hot day or not. Getting the car out on the highway yields the car having a lower temp, and for the life of me i cant find a block anywhere, im hoping its just the thermostat. Anything else goes wrong with this car and im goin to murder someone.
Quote:
Old 23-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #20
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Have you measured the temperature of the water with an accurate device? Your gauge may just be inaccurate.

I remember my grandpa drilling small holes in his thermostat if the temperature was sitting a bit high, esp. on the highway.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #21
NZ
~~~

Quote:
tried spining it whilst the car was off, no unnormal resistance. Started car, could feel air being pulled from front of radiator, and air being pushed from behinde fan on water pump side.

Not really anything technical, but you never know, fan could have seized.
Sometimes they don't seize but they just dont spin either. If you can grab it (while car off of course :P) and give it a spin easily - its ****ed and it'll be 90% of your problems They will spin and pull a little air through but not enough if they are like that. You should feel a decent amount of resitance when you try to spin the fan by hand. When you start the car the fan should roar full noise for a few seconds or untill you give it a rev. If it doesnt thats another sign its stuffed. If the fan had seized you'd know about it. Least it wpould be providing you maximum airflow lol

Silencer's car has a dicky clutch fan. his car gets hot and it doesn't cool down in a hurry simply because his fan doesnt. We were driving around one night and he pulls up beside me reving his car. Later on he told me his car was too hot and he was trying to get it to cool down. I popped his bonnet tested the fan and sure enough you could spin the thing ( and watch it keep spinning)

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #22
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Thats it EB MK11, it had resistance, which was my main concern that if i could spin it.
I still dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Have you measured the temperature of the water with an accurate device? Your gauge may just be inaccurate.

I remember my grandpa drilling small holes in his thermostat if the temperature was sitting a bit high, esp. on the highway.
Aaron, the temp guage is spot on, it sit under halfway on HWY/FWY driving.
Further to this, i took it for a drive this arvo, and when i got home, the coolant overflow pipe started spitting coolant out everywhere. Must have bleed 3-4 ltrs. Im getting really worried with this problem. as ive said, new water pump, new pipes, im hoping its something minor, but each day its looking like something major is wrong.

Might be time to head down to a raidiator place and have it pressure tested atleast.
Quote: