Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The end of the Falcon is not the only major change in the life of Ford dealers

Its a shame that it took the end of production here to make Ford bring this matter into sharp focus, but nonetheless great news for customers and those dealer principals who are customer focussed:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257BC8002F6657

The end of the Falcon is not the only major change in the life of Ford dealers
16 August 2013
By IAN PORTER
WHILE much of the attention paid to Ford recently here has been about its Australian plant closures and the wave of new imported models, a key part of the so-called ‘One Ford’ transformation will be an increased accent on dealer performance.

Like its manufacturing network and its approach to the market, Ford has overhauled the dealership role in a way that will give local dealers greater influence over their own fates.

But the company will not be implementing the same old “volume is king” policies which can lead to a heavy-handed approach and plenty of dealer friction.

Key to the new approach is a different sort of incentive scheme, which will no longer be based on a dealer’s sales volumes. Now, Ford dealers will get incentive payments based on their customer satisfaction ratings.

This reality was reflected in the speech given by Ford chief executive Alan Mulally during his surprise visit to Sydney.

“We are continuing to enhance our sales and service experience focusing on serving our retail customers offering the most comprehensive customer care in Australia,” he said.

And, while that might sound like many promises made by many car company executives in the past, Ford has put customer satisfaction at the core of its operations. The dealers have to rate well on customer satisfaction.

“There’s a definite change in business habits to go with (One Ford). There’s an incentive based program,” said one dealer at Ford’s ‘Go Further’ briefing this week.

“The incentives are there if you achieve certain levels of customer satisfaction. They’re putting the customer first and the incentive is there if you achieve the target level of customer satisfaction,” said the Queensland dealer, who asked not to be named.

He said that, while customer satisfaction ratings are fairly common in the industry, Ford had now given the issue its highest priority.

Ford Australia president Bob Graziano backed up his US president.

“The next destination on our journey of change is to deliver our most comprehensive customer after-care experience, respecting our customer’s right to an ownership and care experience that shows how much we value them from the very first interaction.”

The Queensland dealer said he thought it would not be easy to manage the sort of transformation Ford is looking to achieve.

“They know there is going to be some hardship on their side, and some hardship definitely on the dealer side, but in the end there is light at the end of the tunnel.

“At the end of the day, they have increased their brand 60 per cent in America and also dealer profitability 10 times.”

He said the company also needed to spend money to improve its image in the minds of the public.

“Ford has identified they have issues with their brand. They have identified that shutting manufacturing down causes further issues with their brand.

“I think they have come out (today) and shown a commitment to the brand, and they will move it forward in this market,” he said.

Another dealer said former Ford Australia president Tom Gorman may have been correct when he said Ford dealers had difficulty selling the small cars in Ford’ s range.

“I think the dealer network really struggled with small cars three or four years ago,” said the dealer, who also wanted to remain anonymous.

“I can definitely understand it is now more about the experience. Customers use social media and are now more savvy. Bad experiences get out.” “The change Ford wants to make starts with product and getting the message across. Then it’s convincing Australians it’s the right product. They are starting to do that.”

In the past, moving the Falcons made at Broadmeadows tended to skew the advertising campaigns to the disadvantage of the small cars.

“It’s about where the advertising dollars are getting spent and where they want to drive market share.

“The manufacturers lead the dealers in terms of they’re the ones doing the primary advertising on their products in the market.

“And, if they have a huge supply of large cars that they cannot sell, the advertising dollar goes to those and they forget about the small cars.”

The dealer said he was impressed by what he had seen and heard.

“Today they have given us a taste of what is coming. We didn’t expect to see the Everest. We didn’t expect (global president Alan) Mulally to be here.

“Refreshing the entire line by 2017 is no small feat.

“We have to get our heads around stopping manufacturing and sourcing all the cars globally.

“It’s doing business differently to how we have done it and it’s going to give us access to the products people want to buy.

“I think today is the line in the sand and we are going forward. This is the new Ford. And they have something to tell.”

DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The end of the Falcon is not the only major change in the life of Ford dealers

They've been rewarding dealers who score highly on their CVPs for a few years now, perhaps if they make this even more imperative it may weed out some of the dealers providing poor after sales support.

CRC have already improved out of sight compared to how they used to be.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: The end of the Falcon is not the only major change in the life of Ford dealers

I left a Holden dealership in 1996 and they were already doing this

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is it measured? By the number of complaints a particular dealer has received?

Unfortunately, I think it is more likely for customers to complain about bad experiences than to compliment dealers for a good experience.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Does that include service & warranty????

How does satisfaction sit when you're told to wait 6 months for your new car?

Pfffft. Smoke and mirrors - NEXT!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Here here. I like Mulally, the guy has his head screwed on.
This is one of the first things he has focused on in the US......CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

Who was the only major US car company to get through the GFC without bail out, and has been turning profit for several years now? FORD USA, and this kind of thing is why!
Build products people will want, enjoy and be happy with their purchase and follow up service. It not rocket science, but Mulally has pushed hard against the regime, and made it happen.

It's such a pity it has taken so long to filter through down under.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
Here here. I like Mulally, the guy has his head screwed on.
This is one of the first things he has focused on in the US......CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

Who was the only major US car company to get through the GFC without bail out, and has been turning profit for several years now? FORD USA, and this kind of thing is why!
Build products people will want, enjoy and be happy with their purchase and follow up service. It not rocket science, but Mulally has pushed hard against the regime, and made it happen.

It's such a pity it has taken so long to filter through down under and that by the time we see any meaningful improvement they'll be trying to sell us product some of us don't even want.
Fixed that for ya. We are fortunate to own a Euro vehicle as well and I can tell anyone who's interested Ford are in for a very long journey in terms of trying to reach really impressive level's of after sales service and customer satisfaction...but I guess the longest journey starts with a single step and its nice to see they seem to know which direction the journey starts in. Whether the DP's on the ground have the funds and vision to carry it out remains to be seen.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Customer satisfaction ratings"...

...you mean they haven't cared about that until now...?
Kind of figures though with some of the experiences I've seen described on this forum...

And, sadly, "building what people want" does in fact mean the Falcon would still go...it just isn't wanted anymore except by a vanishingly small number of buyers.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had no problems with Denmac Ford, Metro Ford, Southside Ford and now Tropical Auto Group...maybe shouldn't speak too soon!!!!!
Old 17-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Mrs Leadfoot81 has bought 4 new small Ford's in the last 13 years. The first two experiences were at a dealership with an inside contact (and were thoroughly pleasant) The last two experiences weren't and have been tainted by self centered staff who just don't understand client focus (unsurprisingly this trait kicks into high gear once the paperwork is signed/money has changed hands/car is delivered) They did do good deals on the cars however, and the saving grace of it all is Ford having designed and built great products.

During our most recent adventure I tried really hard to establish a relationship with the dealership (in spite of it being a 1.5 hour drive away) but not even the fact that I was (trying) to get a Fiesta ST trade in priced up made them any more helpful (the experience of doing the deal on the car we bought was very good however)

Can anyone recommend a Ford dealer in SE Vic thats interested in developing a relationship with a couple that buys new cars every 2-3 years?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
DP GTP

Talking Re: The end of the Falcon is not the only major change in the life of Ford dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Mrs Leadfoot81 has bought 4 new small Ford's in the last 13 years. The first two experiences were at a dealership with an inside contact (and were thoroughly pleasant) The last two experiences weren't and have been tainted by self centered staff who just don't understand client focus (unsurprisingly this trait kicks into high gear once the paperwork is signed/money has changed hands/car is delivered) They did do good deals on the cars however, and the saving grace of it all is Ford having designed and built great products.

During our most recent adventure I tried really hard to establish a relationship with the dealership (in spite of it being a 1.5 hour drive away) but not even the fact that I was (trying) to get a Fiesta ST trade in priced up made them any more helpful (the experience of doing the deal on the car we bought was very good however)

Can anyone recommend a Ford dealer in SE Vic thats interested in developing a relationship with a couple that buys new cars every 2-3 years?
The "New" owners of Yarra Valley Ford in Lilydale have been fantastic with their service support for my GTP. Even though I bought it from a private seller it was under warranty (2 months left) and they went out of their way to ensure they fixed everything proir to the warranty expiring, from a slight weep between the booster and master cylinder (replaced both) to a slightest whine in the diff that could only be heard when it was warm and only at 80ks in 5/6 under load (replaced it) and new bushes in the rear, adjusting the exhaust outlets so it looked even from the back
I honestly could not have been happier.
They also followed up with calls. And this was all back in May 13. Chatting to the service manager he mentioned that they put a broom through the entire business and changed the entire focus...
So am I happy with them?...yep. would I consider buying a car from them now.?...yep.

Now this is after 3 years ago me walking out of there in discust and into Holden up the road and buying a dunnydoor...all because they (the old owners) didn't want to deal with the lease company.
The new owners were shocked when I told them my story...and then offered to buy my GTP (for more than I paid) and sell me a newer one....cheeky buggers...
Give them a go and see if they are as good as they were to me.
ZF
Herrod CAI
Herrod 2.5 twin Stainless Cat back

Last edited by DP GTP; 17-08-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling error...
DP GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I am glad they've come out and said this. In my opinion customer service is a major reason why sales go missing at Ford, its terrible. Walk in to a Mazda showroom and 9/10 its a different story. To bad I don't want a mazda.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post