Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Rate the show..
It was great (or ok) and I'll watch it next year; 159 51.62%
It was great (or ok) but I'll only bother watching if there's nothing else on; 36 11.69%
It was crap and I won't watch it next year; 51 16.56%
It was crap but I'll still watch it next year if there's nothing else on; 62 20.13%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #31
IDT
Marko

Compared to CSI Miami, CSI Las Vegas, CSI New York, CSI Dallas, CSI Chicago, CSI Army, CSI Navy, CSI Airforce, and CSI Sunshine Coast. Oh and I left out CSI Pommy old farts and CSI the BILL. Thats not to mention RPH, Medical Miracles, Animal Rescue, VET's to the Rescue and Kiwi Police stories and Special Crash unit and SECONDS FROM DISASTER. Compared to all of them which is all of the time. I THINK THE SHOW ROCKS!
Old 18-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Compared to CSI Miami, CSI Las Vegas, CSI New York, CSI Dallas, CSI Chicago, CSI Army, CSI Navy, CSI Airforce, and CSI Sunshine Coast. Oh and I left out CSI Pommy old farts and CSI the BILL. Thats not to mention RPH, Medical Miracles, Animal Rescue, VET's to the Rescue and Kiwi Police stories and Special Crash unit and SECONDS FROM DISASTER. Compared to all of them which is all of the time. I THINK THE SHOW ROCKS!
so true thats why i got FOX
I enjoyed it, each show got better and better. Plus ill watch anything with cars in it.
But they really need to get rid of Charlie Cox
Old 18-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #33
husky510

I think most of you guys need to get Austar!!!

Top gear Australia is a disgrace and an embarrassment to Australia television. If Jeremy watched it I am sure he would have laughed all the way through it... and not with them.. at them!!!!

I know Top Gear ia franchise type business... but what makes Top Gear UK so great is the people, not the product. TGUK is actually pretty lame for a car reveiw show. I can't remember the last time they popped the bonnet on a car for us to have a look. And the pathetic games they play...!!!??? I may as wel watch myth busters... BUT.... Jeremy, Hammond and May make it very entertaining.

Now back to TGAustralia... Same poor reviews... same pathetic games... with some very poor presenters... that is not a great mix for a CAR REVIEW show!!!

I want to see real reviews, with shots of the interior, engine bay, dash board, options available, brakes on offer, price, etc etc...

Get Austar and watch 5th gear... very more informative!!!
Old 18-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #34
TERRY TORRY

: Hi. The first lot on that graph - We're you watching the pommy one and got confused, - What age group are you in ? I only watch it because there is nothing else on and it's a good show to slow one down for bed. Great, IT ISN'T. Bring back the pomms. If they can't do anything else they can produce good comedy shows. Glen. : :
TERRY TORRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #35
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
i have to agree with this post, if it isn't the CSI pooh it's soap's or some other crud.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #36
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Charlie Cox just doesnt do it for me, the forced one liners and stunted delivery are painful. I have no problems with what he's on about its just his shite delivery and woeful one liners. Did I mention his stunte......etc

The exotic cars are great and they have got to stay but there needs to be a few more locals thrown in there. I know that they don't wan't to turn the show into a ford vs holden fest and I don't blame them, but who says every Ford or Holden test has to be a bung fight. Why can't they just do a whole segment on the G6E in its own right. Or a statesman for that matter.

They did a test on a four door V8 Jag worth 170gs, good test and great car but I'd really like to see one of our own powerful four door V8's (at half the cost) put on the board alongside the likes of the Jag and the other euros. Granted that they did the W427, but apart from that the unique aspects of Australia motoring seemed very restrained during the series.

as for What were they thinking....exactly, say no more!

Last bit.. Its the only car show in prime time, what else are we going to watch.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #37
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
What's Television?
Some new fangled speaking book with pictures so I'm told, but one is naturally sceptical of such claims.

Either way it's not for you, get back to charting this months lack of car sales and stop asking silly questions.

Last edited by plext; 18-11-2008 at 10:53 PM.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately improved by the end of the series, start was woeful. Lets face it, it will never be a patch on the original, and as for THAT segment- what were they thinking, it is crap. They to me are simply trying too hard, it has potential the next series will make or break it I think
Old 18-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #39
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I'll stick to Top Gear UK. The Aus version doesn't do much for me.
Old 19-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #40
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Nope, after watching most of this season, it doesn't rate on my must watch list next time.

I gave 'em a go, and still almost felt embarrissed several times for the poor sods, but hey, that's just me.

I have found the series to be a major let down, and a(nother) case of 'don't believe the hype' in the leed up to air..

On the positives - it will be better next time 'round I'm sure.

I rate it 4/10 this season.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the performance part of these shows, but a lot of the time there seems to be very little technical analysis, for me i would be glued to the box if said they were going to do a jack test on all models of motor car and point out faults , basic real world stuff that will affect me when i buy the next new limo, does the air conditioner get cold on a 35 degree day? will my size 14 feet fit easily under the dash? there must be 100 different tests that would be interesting to car boffins.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #42
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i like the performance part of these shows, but a lot of the time there seems to be very little technical analysis, for me i would be glued to the box if said they were going to do a jack test on all models of motor car and point out faults , basic real world stuff that will affect me when i buy the next new limo, does the air conditioner get cold on a 35 degree day? will my size 14 feet fit easily under the dash? there must be 100 different tests that would be interesting to car boffins.
This sounds good to me, these are all relevant facts when you're out shopping for a car.

Having said this, I've never watched the local version. After reading comments in this thread about TGAUS being a pale imitation, didn't the TGUK start out as an amateur production that took quite a while to develop? I believe it was an "underground" show for some time before it started gaining a cult following then evolved into what it is now.

Give the local version a chance, it will take some time for it to develop and evolve it's own character. We need shows like this.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #43
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i have to agree with this post, if it isn't the CSI pooh it's soap's or some other crud.
what about CSI coogee bay?
Old 19-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #44
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usally taped it and watched when i had time, i will watch again, i did think they were improving, but i agree, get rid of "what were they thinking"
Old 19-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #45
CaptDan

I thought it was rubbish, but what if i'd never seen the the UK show? Na rubbish is rubbish.
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #46
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I think the poll shows the desparation of watching a automotive show made here and once again as in the past people will tolerate anything.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Nope.....dont watch much tv to start with, and its stuff like this that is responsible for that..... :

Always watch/record TGUK though..... :

Had to have a look though when i heard about the three way trip to Tassi in the last episode, what new info did i learn about the three cars they used???
Zip..nothing....

Oh, did find out that one of them can pluck a banjo, maybe he should stick to that.......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #48
NickosBF2XRT

I will be watching next year. Tho I do agree that the guy that does the interview with the star in the car segment, sweats way way to much when he is interviewing, and it make me nervous for him...But on another note good to see the FG kicked the VE's a$$, and was voted the better car overall by the 2!!!
Old 19-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #49
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Well be keen to watch it next season, hopefully it continues to improve
Old 19-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #50
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not easy to please but i am enjoying the show, its good to see cars being thrashed in the way they were designed to (well most of the time) and seeing them belt around the new FG falcon XT was awesome last night!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #51
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Relative to TGUK, it was pretty ordinary.
Relative to other Aus made car shows, it was pretty good.
Relative to the 'reality' genre of rubbish currently flooding the market, it was freakin awesome.
I would suggest giving Charlie a personality transplant but that implies he has one of some description to replace...maybe a personality implant is a more apt phrase. I'll likely watch if I can't find something better to do.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #52
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

I hated it after the first ep, but watched the last ep on whim and rather liked it, they have potential IF they keep improving.
Old 19-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #53
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Relative to TGUK, it was pretty ordinary.
Relative to other Aus made car shows, it was pretty good.
Relative to the 'reality' genre of rubbish currently flooding the market, it was freakin awesome.
Well said, at least we have a show showing aussie cars and roads etc
I am sure the second series will improve
I think the shows were improving as the series progressed
Old 19-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #54
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If nothing else is on I'll watch. Also depends on what cars they are gonna feature.

I wont be fussed if a miss a few episodes.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #55
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be interesting, if they can the show, how many people that say they wont watch it, will complain that there is no Australian motoring show to watch
Old 19-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #56
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Opt 1a - was ok, will watch again. Still improving but still cramming too much into the show & depth of segments suffers badly.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #57
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky510
Now back to TGAustralia... Same poor reviews... same pathetic games... with some very poor presenters... that is not a great mix for a CAR REVIEW show!!!

I want to see real reviews, with shots of the interior, engine bay, dash board, options available, brakes on offer, price, etc etc...

Get Austar and watch 5th gear... very more informative!!!
It sounds more like you don’t like Top Gear, Full stop!

Top Gear is not a "Car Review Show". That’s what the "The Car Show" on Ch9 was all about.
Top Gear is about entertainment. It’s aimed at everyone, not just car enthusiasts, and that’s why the UK version is so popular in AUS. And I wouldn't miss the UK version for the world. Yeh, the Aus version is a bit thin, but it runs a minuscule budget compared to the UK version, and we don’t quite have easy access to the same cars.
All the stuff you want to see on TopGear, like Engine Bays and a Dash Board aren't that entertaining or interesting. And yay, lets listen to them ramble through a list of the options available. I could listen to that for hours. :togo: “Oh look, 3 different floor mats. Nice.”. :
As for the price, well, that’s what the Internet and Wheels Mag is for.

TopGear audiences want to be entertained by Supercars being put through their paces, and funny stories on stretch limos made from a Fiat. With ludicrous races across Europe. If that stuff doesn’t float your boat, then you don’t have to watch it.

And im still trying to work out what, “very more informative” means??
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #58
Trek
Blue blooded

Definitely yes, because of showing Aussie Fords ('scuse the one-eyed-ness). I don't mind them reviewing Holdens and other makes of cars, but Aus. Fords are paramount.

Of course the TGA presenters aren't going to be as synergistic as the TGUK crew, but I give them credit for trying to make it work better.

What bothered me was showing that Aston. Wasn't it the same model they showed on TGUK?

With regards to TGUK, Clarkson is a toff, he isn't that funny either. May and Hammond are brilliant though.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #59
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

i will prob watch the next series, mainly cause im curious to see if they have learnt from the things that just didnt seem "right" about the show...th UK version seems to flow a lot better. I hate the fact they try to be funny thru the WHOLE thing which gets annoying and the stupid things they do ie last episode, leavin old mate in the antique shop with him playin a banjo.... who gives a rats! cut that crap out, focus more on the cars etc and will make it a lot better.

wish the test track and have the cameras setup better be nice also and WWTT segment, trash it!

just curious tho, anyone know who aussie stig is??

all in all tho i will give S2 a go, but, if its anything like the 1st, i'll pass and head back out to the shed.... ok ive had my rant...feeling calm
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #60
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I think it was woeful at times whilst some episodes were really good (the one with the WRX and the chopper was a good ep).

What were they thinking wall needs to go and the celebrity chat is snoozeville.

But a car shows a car show and you can guarantee I will be watching that over Idol/RPA/Dancing with the B grade celebrities or whatever other crap is on.