Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Re: ACA Poll - Should hoon drivers have their cars taken off them?

The lines are very blurry.
A person doing donuts in an intersection with traffic around is bad, but in the same intersection at 3am with no-one in sight is just as bad?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a legally modified car. Surely ACA thinks that makes you a hoon anyway.
Well as long as it brings the ratings I guess.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
The lines are very blurry.
A person doing donuts in an intersection with traffic around is bad, but in the same intersection at 3am with no-one in sight is just as bad?
There needs to be some discretion involved with the severity of the offense. Middle of no where should be a slap on the wrist, a point and a couple hundred dollars at absolute most. Middle of the day, cars everywhere, pedestrians yeah. Take their licence away and their car for a few days.
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
There needs to be some discretion involved with the severity of the offense. Middle of no where should be a slap on the wrist, a point and a couple hundred dollars at absolute most. Middle of the day, cars everywhere, pedestrians yeah. Take their licence away and their car for a few days.
The best tool in a police officers untility belt.

The hoon laws were a waste of time, the laws already existed (culpable driving, reckless driving, etc), they just wanted to give them another label to let them take peoples cars and to make it seem like they were doing something.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #35
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
The best tool in a police officers untility belt.

The hoon laws were a waste of time, the laws already existed (culpable driving, reckless driving, etc), they just wanted to give them another label to let them take peoples cars and to make it seem like they were doing something.
I have been stung doing a burnout when I first got my licence. I was out in a rural area where no one else was around near my mates place (his parents owned and lived on a rose farm) so him and I went out and enjoyed ourselves burning some old tyres that he had kicking around.

Cops came along after they were at a call out from I have no idea where as I wasn't aware that people lived anywhere near that area. Pulled us up and had a conversation with us about how this was dangerous and blah blah blah. Ended up forgetting about giving us a fine or taking points because we explained that we had gone out of our way to do it far from where people lived or normally commuted.

He was a nice officer because he used discretion. Only about 12 months later, any sort of discretion is out the window because of everyone crying for a 0 tolerance on it. It's hardly fair that someone gets the same treatment for a dick head drifting in residential areas or populated streets when they go out of their way to have some fun in an unpopulated area where the only person they can possibly hurt is themselves.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So he was a nice officer because he let you off? What would you have called him if he gave you a ticket? Can't see the difference to be honest, both examples are breaking the law.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #37
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

It would have been fair enough, we got caught breaking the law. We knew the consequences but we tried to get some discretion which made him a good officer as he gave discretion.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
BHDOGS
Banned

Unfortunatly discretion is giving out by people who wear a uniform what you believe to be fine others may not and as they have the power there decision wins if they believe something is fine you get discretion if they believe it not to be you get nicked like i said that's life sometimes you win sometimes you lose I find the biggest irony is the main Wowzers these days are the old people who use to do the same things but hey it doesn't affect them so there golden
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150
Can't see the difference to be honest, both examples are breaking the law.
Herein lies the problem.
A law is a law is a law, but there can be level's. eg. attempted murder vs murder (assume this example is with a gun as the weapon)
Both illegal, both involved shooting someone, one is worse than the other.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #40
gcmc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
They need to be more precise and define what is a hoon before I vote.
Exactly - and that's what bothers me about the police too. Accelerating just half briskly from an intersection could have a slow thinking or unfair cop accusing you of hooning.

However, if the police are properly educated and honest they can easily identify the real pests.

These are the ones who drive like absolute idiots and it's because of them that anyone in anything the police percieve as a performance car ( particularly anything modified ) is automatically a suspect.

It is clearly prejudice of course. Exactly the same applies to ALL motorcyclists.

I was virtually harassed by a motorcycle copper who came up beside me and inside my lane when I was cruising along at the speed limit on Queen street, Campbelltown. I ignored him completely - didn't even look at him but he occupied my entire left mirror and it was a dangerous act in itself.

So that's what concerns me. It is a sign of poor character for any police officer to behave that way and they should be able to rise above it, but even otherwise good cops can't seem to.

On the news today a cop was sentenced after being caught 48 KPH over the speed limit while he was taking Jimmy Barnes to a concert he was late for.

They've taken his police car away ! If this law was honestly applied it would be his own car that would be confiscated.

I wonder what charges he faced ? It would be dangerous driving for anyone else. I think that's a crime so would that mean the end of his carreer ?

I don't agree with the arbitrary confiscation of people's property. It's simply legalised theft.

They should face whatever penalties apply, but the government should limit their unjustifiable theft to their pay rises. They should not steal people's cars.

Most outragous of all is when they confiscate a car that belongs to someone other than the driver.

I think the first one that sues them for that might smarten them up a bit.

I actually believe that a challenge to the whole process of legislated car theft is likely to be defeated in any group action.
gcmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Herein lies the problem.
A law is a law is a law, but there can be level's. eg. attempted murder vs murder (assume this example is with a gun as the weapon)
Both illegal, both involved shooting someone, one is worse than the other.
Is it? Both crimes had the same intent (death). It was the aim of the attempted murder to kill? That shouldnt be rewarded because he/she was bad at it, or distracted during the crime. Same as Kable72? He was distracted by noise and smoke i'm guessing during the burnout, so how did he know he was in an unpopulated area? Good luck to him though.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
MAD
Petro-sexual

According to our laws; Yes, It is worse. The jail terms for both are different.

If a burnout in the middle of nowhere has a much lower risk of injury, yet you say should have the same punishment as one done is a much higher risk situation.

Attempted murder could be as simple as having a bad aim, yet the punishment is much less than if your aim was good.

How is that justified?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
MAD
Petro-sexual

This is one example where the original laws, along with discretion, are perfect.
One could be deemed as reckless driving endangering life while the other could be something much less as it didn't endager life.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
If a burnout in the middle of nowhere has a much lower risk of injury, yet you say should have the same punishment as one done is a much higher risk situation.
So who's making this judgement call with regards to this having a much lower risk of injury just because its in an isolated area? The driver? Well he's not going to be bias is he? No worries mate, i'm not going to get into a debate with you, we'll agree to disagree, but both examples are breaking the law, and i'm sure Kable72 realizes he was lucky, and circumstances could of been much worse in hindsight for him.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #45
bingoTE50
Steve

The "hoon" thing is way out of control. Peter Brock was a hoon ,they tested the Brock Commodore prototypes down the back streets where the factory was.
Lewis Hamilton hooned the merc at the Grand Prix . I passed a line of Hoon Porsches , you could hear them and they were oh so low with fat tyres . GT3 's they were. IT is Sensationalistic rubbish . Cars will still be crashed hooning or not. Surely it is loss of life is the issue ? More visible policing required , not bloody speed cameras.
I have no issue with lowering a car put an exhaust on and looking after the thing. If they do a burnout book them .Loss of licence is more than enough pain.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #46
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Glen, I'm not saying you're not correct because you are correct. You're entirely right. But there needs to be some degrees of punishment to fit the crime. In hindsight, I should have been booked. I was breaking the law, but the officer had given his discretion which is what should be done by a case by case basis.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #47
Angeldust

the other day i saw an old lady lock it up on the brakes so that she wouldnt run up the rear of another car....

tyre noise + smoke === fking HOON

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #48
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150
So who's making this judgement call with regards to this having a much lower risk of injury just because its in an isolated area? The driver? Well he's not going to be bias is he? No worries mate, i'm not going to get into a debate with you, we'll agree to disagree, but both examples are breaking the law, and i'm sure Kable72 realizes he was lucky, and circumstances could of been much worse in hindsight for him.
I'm not saying it shouldn't have a punishment at all. The associated risks are very different for the two situations and the punishment could easily be adjusted accordingly, and that is discretion.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #49
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
the other day i saw an old lady lock it up on the brakes so that she wouldnt run up the rear of another car....

tyre noise + smoke === fking HOON
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #50
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I voted no, simply because the more powers we allow the government to have, the more they will want.

Where does it stop? Today it's impounding cars, next it will be kids bikes because the poped a mono on the footpath. A slight exaggeration, I know, but this whole nanny state needs to stop. The only time I feel that anything should be seized is if you have unpaid fines and have no intention to pay.

A government is here to serve the people, not to be a mum who takes away their toys when they've been bad.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #51
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is funny that the poll is in favor of not having the car taken off them.

I think if it was in favor they would use it in future shows, but since it did not go in the favor they wanted it, nothing will be said.

The poll has now changed.

Flame suit on.

In the view of a normal everyday person not interested in cars. Anyone with a nice looking car, classic, V8 etc isd deemed a hoon.

I agree I know a fair few people with nice cars, classics and such and every single one of them I would consider a hoon.

Enthusiast, hoon are all the same you may argue you are not a hoon, but end of the day the police, the general public are not going to care.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #52
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Flame suit on.

In the view of a normal everyday person not interested in cars. Anyone with a nice looking car, classic, V8 etc isd deemed a hoon.

I agree I know a fair few people with nice cars, classics and such and every single one of them I would consider a hoon.

Enthusiast, hoon are all the same you may argue you are not a hoon, but end of the day the police, the general public are not going to care.
The only reason the average public think that is because of how we are being portrayed in the media.

How about the charities that are supported by mulitple events held by many many car clubs? Where's the reporting on the thousands of dollars given to charities?

Any segment on ACA about the annual xmas toy run held by AFF? or the boosted 'cruise for charity'. That's just two that I know of, but there are many more.

If the public knew how much support was given, maybe they'd have a different view.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #53
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

It's the same with motorcyclist clubs. Everyone has heard about how motorcycle gangs have caused so much trouble over the years and now there is a stigma on anyone riding a motorbike.

Hell, people who even like the fashion, big beard, leather, chrome studs on pants/belts even have a stigma on them. It's purely media sensationalism and it's wrong. We were taught that stereotypical views on society were wrong and now they are being thrusted upon us by the very people who told us otherwise.

What the media are doing now is no better than racial stereotypes.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #54
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
The only reason the average public think that is because of how we are being portrayed in the media.

How about the charities that are supported by mulitple events held by many many car clubs? Where's the reporting on the thousands of dollars given to charities?

Any segment on ACA about the annual xmas toy run held by AFF? or the boosted 'cruise for charity'. That's just two that I know of, but there are many more.

If the public knew how much support was given, maybe they'd have a different view.
At one time it was Suggested to ask ACA or TT to come to the Knox Car Show which is a charity event but it was decided it would do more harm than good as they would just report on any bad points and make it out as a Hoon Event or Gathering.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #55
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

LOL funny you said charity. Look at cruise for charity last year the one in Melbourne.

Cruise for charity in 2011, the so called enthusiast who say they are enthusiasts leaving the last point in a mass amount of smoke. Nearly every car that left for about an hour smoked the tyres up.These people say they are not hoons. I am not talking about your stupid P plater in his vn commo, I am talking about some big name cars.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #56
Killaxb
VN2DY4

**** aca an tt. And most on all tracey grimshaw the filthy **** of a thing
Killaxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #57
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaxb
**** aca an tt. And most on all tracey grimshaw the filthy **** of a thing

Best post of the thread.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #58
red_hotxr6
Banned

Obviously a very controversial subject, what is a hoon?? Is it a person who spends thousands of dollars on his car, perfecting it the way he envisages it, within the guidelines of the law and the safety of not only those that drive in the car but to other road users. Or is it a person who spends money doing there cars up sometimes not legally, ie..tyres too big, car to low, modifications not allowed for that particular vehicle....and then think they are the best drivers in the world by doing burnouts, trying to race every car think they can beat, or jusy plain making an a.. of themselves speeding and bobbing and weaving in and out of traffic.
Personally i dont think it would be the first one, as i think that would be classified as car enthusiasts, they look after there cars. There are even people out there that dont do anything to there cars at all, they dont even look after them properly and drive so badly it isnt funny.
Personally i think if you have the money and time to modify your ride legally and to the letter of the law then let the police pull you over when ever, with a smile as you have nothing to worry about...let the ones that have done the wrong thing, complain, because usually the ones that complain the most are the ones that have done the wrong thing.....my 2 cents worth...hope i havent offended any one..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #59
EFFalcon
Last warning

wooohoooo an online poll that will do nothing!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #60
Chopped
as in chopped

People who watch ACA or Today Tonight should have their TVs taken from them.