Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2012 Wheels Car of the Year

I'd like to know the actual number of car buyers who even bother to ask the 0-100 time or quarter mile time or even horsepower of a car when they buy it.
I would bet lefty that it's way down less than 5% of buyers, if that. Most people stop at "is it a four cylinder or six cylinder?". To be blunt, no one cares anymore...the world has changed. It's a little like Harley t-shirts...plenty of people love the merchandise, but they'll never buy an actual Harley.

Same with the bigger and bigger and more powerful V8's...they sell in dribs and drabs during the year at a dealership...the spectacular FPV's or HSV's out the front get a lot of looks from customers...but people walk straight on and buy an XR6 or SV6 or something. I think people like the idea of high performance cars being available from their favourite maker, but the vast majority will never buy one.

That's where real world car of the year type things come in...yes, we all know you can go and spend $150,000 on a car and get a sublime machine, but what will you actually go and lay your money down on in real life? People with posters of Porsches on the wall will go and buy something like an 86 because it's a "two door sports car" that they can afford on their budget.

Same with hot hatches...why do people think they're so popular instead of people going and buying V8 Falcons and Commodores from FPV and HSV in the same numbers? "Cheap fun" and affordable buying and running costs is the obvious answer.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

This going around in circles is making me dizzy!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #33
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I'd like to know the actual number of car buyers who even bother to ask the 0-100 time or quarter mile time or even horsepower of a car when they buy it.
I would bet lefty that it's way down less than 5% of buyers, if that. Most people stop at "is it a four cylinder or six cylinder?". To be blunt, no one cares anymore...the world has changed. It's a little like Harley t-shirts...plenty of people love the merchandise, but they'll never buy an actual Harley.

Same with the bigger and bigger and more powerful V8's...they sell in dribs and drabs during the year at a dealership...the spectacular FPV's or HSV's out the front get a lot of looks from customers...but people walk straight on and buy an XR6 or SV6 or something. I think people like the idea of high performance cars being available from their favourite maker, but the vast majority will never buy one.

That's where real world car of the year type things come in...yes, we all know you can go and spend $150,000 on a car and get a sublime machine, but what will you actually go and lay your money down on in real life? People with posters of Porsches on the wall will go and buy something like an 86 because it's a "two door sports car" that they can afford on their budget.

Same with hot hatches...why do people think they're so popular instead of people going and buying V8 Falcons and Commodores from FPV and HSV in the same numbers? "Cheap fun" and affordable buying and running costs is the obvious answer.

People who are interested in performance numbers KNOW what they are ! Why would they bother to ask the salesman who most likely does not know them anyway ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #34
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

The aspect I like about the 86 and BRZ are that they have put some competition into what was a pretty dull and expensive space.

My wife loves MX-5's and has owned 3. But at $50k their a bloody expensive car to get a little bit of driving fun. Minis are more expensive.

So if nothing else, putting a $30k car into that segment should see us getting some more value for money options, which I think is a good thing. I loved our Mini Cooper S to death. Loved it. So I can see the attraction of a cheaper, fun car that looks good, handles well and can put a smile on your face.

Kudos to Toyota and Subaru on this one me thinks.
Old 17-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #35
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

86/BRZ deserving winners, and highlight how you can still get bang for your bucks. (Instead of being price gouged the Australian way.)

However, I looked at the edition of wheels in the shop today and didn't buy it. First time since may 1985. There wasn't anything new, or interesting, and the car of the year guff and drivel about the testing criterion just didn't add up to value for me.

To me wheels has lost its way the content of world car guys, interviews, scoops and industry news is sadly lacking.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #36
Drizz06
XR50th

The Volt and Up where runners up???
I knew there was a reason i don't read Wheels.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
86/BRZ deserving winners, and highlight how you can still get bang for your bucks. (Instead of being price gouged the Australian way.)

However, I looked at the edition of wheels in the shop today and didn't buy it. First time since may 1985. There wasn't anything new, or interesting, and the car of the year guff and drivel about the testing criterion just didn't add up to value for me.

To me wheels has lost its way the content of world car guys, interviews, scoops and industry news is sadly lacking.
I agree with your sentiments, that section was very informative for us car nuts! Hopefully someone there at Wheels is a member here at AFF & is taking this feedback back to their editor.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
The aspect I like about the 86 and BRZ are that they have put some competition into what was a pretty dull and expensive space.

My wife loves MX-5's and has owned 3. But at $50k their a bloody expensive car to get a little bit of driving fun. Minis are more expensive

So if nothing else, putting a $30k car into that segment should see us getting some more value for money options, which I think is a good thing. I loved our Mini Cooper S to death. Loved it. So I can see the attraction of a cheaper, fun car that looks good, handles well and can put a smile on your face.

Kudos to Toyota and Subaru on this one me thinks.
I'm hoping this market sector will take 86/brz's success seriously- to produce a car at that pricepoint & be so good its no wonder its a winner!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 18-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #39
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

I was a bit shocked the 300 got left out of this, considering the value for money.. yes, it might not be the best handling car out there (it doesn't pretend to be either - SRT-8 did beat a R-spec around a race track) there is nothing else at its price point in Australia that offers the features and luxury. and the V6 is a decent engine, the V8 is epic... but the diesel does need the 8-speed.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

I am a little (under statement) towards the 300, yes I know that and I am looking to order one in feb.

For $59k - Drive away I am getting (300c Luxury):

- 3.6 V6 with 350Nm and 210Kw
- 8 speed Auto with paddle shift
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Heated and Cooled Cup holders
- Heated Rear Seats
- Dual pane sunroof covering 70% of the Roof ($1700 option - included in the $59k)
- Heated Steering wheel
- Front and Rear Park Sensors
- Adoptive Cruise control
- 8.4 inch touch screen, with all main controls, plus DVD, Sat Nav
- Reverse Camera
- 20 inch wheels
- Self levelling suspension
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Heated mirrors
- 19 Speaker Harmon & Kardon Stereo – 900watts including 10ich Sub.( $1500 option – included in the $59k)
- Both front seats are 8 way power adjustable
- Keyless entry and starter button
- Stitched Leather covered Dash and Centre console
- Real wood grain inserts
- Voice control
- Memory settings for 2 drivers that remembers – Seating position, steering wheel position, radio, Air Con settings, Side mirrors.
- Cross path detection when reversing
- Blind spot monitors
- 7 Air Bags
- LED Daylight running lights
- Rain sensor wipers
- Auto Dipping HID high beam lights
- 3 12v power outlets through out vehicle
- Plus many more features

and other models at $45k (300) $50k (300c) and the SRT8 $66k plus on roads

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Predictable as. Well the 86 can join such illustrious company as the P76, Camira and last years winner, a Honda hybrid.

To win an award, a car should be available within a 12 month period: not almost 2 years. As for the price, check out Carsales for real world pricing on these things. For the same coin I'd take a Megane anyday.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wheels COTY lost credibility years ago, does anyone even care anymore?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Wheels COTY is only relevent/credible if a Ford wins.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I'd expand that to any car related award.

obviously the relevance and judgement of WCOTY in 2002 and 2004 were incorrect, biased and just pandering to a minority group
Old 18-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Oh, other awards its won...seems the professional road testers, and motorsport drivers at Wheels arn't alone in selecting a deserving winner, dispite what know-it-all internet trolls think...

-Scottish Car of the Year 2012
-2012 Drive Car of the Year, Best Performance Car under A$60,000 and Peoples Choice
-South African Guild of Motoring Journalists Car Of The Year 2013
-US News declared the Scion FR-S as the best affordable sports car for the 2012
-In November 2012 the GT86 won the Auto Express performance car award
-Top Gear magazine "Car of the Year 2012" and "The Coupe of the Year 2012"
-New Zealand Car of the Year 2012
-2012 Carsguide Car of the Year

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #46
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Scottish, NZ and Top Gear awards lol. Oh the prestige.

Some people need to pony up the $40K+, go join the 18-24 month waiting list, and then join Toyota Forums...

Oh, and your "experienced" testers from Wheels include a bloke who was banned from Ferrari due to his reviews. The 458 seems to be a reasonable car....
Old 18-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Exactly, if the 335/F6/Ecoboost won there'd be praise everywhere.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #48
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Auto Express, MEMA...to add to the list. Nissan must be getting all misty at the success the Toyota is having at the moment lol! How long before a new Sylvia hits the ground running? The signifigance of this little car cannot be underestimated, i wonder how many fwd owners will ditch their cars to buy one....

cheers, Maka

Old 18-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Auto Express, MEMA...to add to the list. Nissan must be getting all misty at the success the Toyota is having at the moment lol! How long before a new Sylvia hits the ground running? The signifigance of this little car cannot be underestimated, i wonder how many fwd owners will ditch their cars to buy one....

cheers, Maka
While the Megane, Focus ST, WRX, Clio are all significantly faster on the track, on the roll and away from the lights while delivering more thrills and better communication thru the wheel (esp the Megane) for similar or less money I'd suggest not many..

As an aside the 86 finished dead last (by some margin) in Motors Performance Car of the Year in lap times...

Turboed - yes: as it is - no: it's a pure posers car... Very similar to the last model of the Celica...
Old 18-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #50
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post

Oh, and your "experienced" testers from Wheels include a bloke who was banned from Ferrari due to his reviews. The 458 seems to be a reasonable car....
Which reviewer was that?
There have been a couple of reviewers worldwide banned from driving Ferraris due to the "opinion" they provided that prancing horse didn't approve of.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #51
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Former editor Mr. Robinson I believe. Mid 90s.

And a Ford winning the award wouldn't change things: valueless awards are so irrespective of car brand you're loyal to.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #52
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
While the Megane, Focus ST, WRX, Clio are all significantly faster on the track, on the roll and away from the lights while delivering more thrills and better communication thru the wheel (esp the Megane) for similar or less money I'd suggest not many..

As an aside the 86 finished dead last (by some margin) in Motors Performance Car of the Year in lap times...

Turboed - yes: as it is - no: it's a pure posers car... Very similar to the last model of the Celica...
We both agree if it was turbo game over. Take the wrx out of your list, it does not apply. Im sure owners of the cars you mentioned would be happy with their choices, but what about the "other" fwd's you havent mentioned? Im sure there are fwd owners out there considering switching back to rwd.

cheers, Maka

Old 18-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #53
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:

And a Ford winning the award wouldn't change things: valueless awards are so irrespective of car brand you're loyal to.
I remember you carrying on much like this in the 86/BRZ discussion...

With one major point, where you disagreed with 90% of reviews buy car car magazines world wide, and only accepting one reveiw as the only one worth listening too.

Much the same here, a car you have no interest in (except to constantly gripe about it) has won an award...if a Megane RS had of won the award, the story would be different.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #54
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
We both agree if it was turbo game over. Take the wrx out of your list, it does not apply. Im sure owners of the cars you mentioned would be happy with their choices, but what about the "other" fwd's you havent mentioned? Im sure there are fwd owners out there considering switching back to rwd.

cheers, Maka
The WRX is the same price as the 86, it's a sports car, it's 2 secs quicker to 100, faster round a track: kinda does apply.

What other fwds? A Camry? A Kia? I mentioned the hot sporty hatches it was up against, for the same coin.

You want a rwd in the $40s? SS? Has double the power: low kay used FPV? Much better options. Don't tell me: they don't count either?
Old 18-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
With one major point, where you disagreed with 90% of reviews buy car car magazines world wide, and only accepting one reveiw as the only one worth listening too.

Much the same here, a car you have no interest in (except to constantly gripe about it) has won an award...if a Megane RS had of won the award, the story would be different.
Again you're wrong: no. Wheels award doesn't have any cred: irrespective of car.

You're on the wrong forum: just buy the 86 and head over to the Toyota fanboy forum where you can rave on about how much better it is than a 458...

Think you'll find the Focus ST and Megane are the choice of keen drivers at this price point. If you want to be embarrassed on the street, track - anywhere - choose the 86: it's got the Wheels P76/Camira seal of approval.
Old 18-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

peter Robinson has far more motoring experience then you would ever hope to have.

I don't understand your rant with his mid 90's ban (one of 2) with Ferrari and what is has to do with the 458 italia?
If you had read his top 50 cars, there were 5 or so Ferrari's in his list, the 458 being number 4. His number 1 a Ferrari 599.

Ferrari also banned Chris Harris for his rant. But then he's reviews are rubbish too right?

How many others had Ferrari sooked about?
Old 18-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #57
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Exactly, if the 335/F6/Ecoboost won there'd be praise everywhere.
Here's the last Ford to win:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...coty+territory
Find the negative responses in there!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #58
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheers, Maka
Not this one.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #59
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

So who won the COTY? Subota or Toyaru?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #60
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Scottish, NZ and Top Gear awards lol. Oh the prestige.

Some people need to pony up the $40K+, go join the 18-24 month waiting list, and then join Toyota Forums...

http://www.toyota.com.au/86/prices
http://www.caradvice.com.au/175446/t...ions-revealed/

cheers, Maka