Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Manual VS Auto???

I prefer manual cars, converted my EL Fairmont Ghia to manual as well.

Yeah manual can be a pain in the *** to drive in heavy traffic sometimes, but once you get used to how it drives its really no problem at all.

If you're in heavy traffic I find just hanging back rolling along at idle in 1st gear you can minimise doing the clutch in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out routine in traffic if you just sit back a little instead of accelerating up to a stop 30m later, by the time you get to that 30m in the distance they're off and moving again
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

If you're in heavy traffic I find just hanging back rolling along at idle in 1st gear you can minimise doing the clutch in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out routine in traffic if you just sit back a little instead of accelerating up to a stop 30m later, by the time you get to that 30m in the distance they're off and moving again
Exactly what i do
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #33
Lunch
Wait, what?

Daily drive: auto ( the zf is a sweet piece )
Weekend: manual
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #34
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As it has been said here, I to prefer Manual cars. But unfortunately this time I had to buy an Auto as Ford doesn't use a heavier clutch and tail shaft in the FG's for towing.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #35
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I prefer manual cars, converted my EL Fairmont Ghia to manual as well.

Yeah manual can be a pain in the *** to drive in heavy traffic sometimes, but once you get used to how it drives its really no problem at all.

So painful following people who do that. It ruins traffic flow and can hang people out to dry in the intersections. I will watch traffic, see it move so move through the intersection, only to have someone rolling slowly along and be stuck out in the intersection. Please just close the gap and look after the people behind you.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #36
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto, its just easier. Especially if you got a bunch of kids screaming behind you trying to audition for some talent show. Least you got one arm free to wave the wooden-spoon around.

I'm a Lefty so manual to me...just sounds so much better in the right configuration.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #37
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Don't know about everyone else but I tend to find myself gravitating from manual one car....then auto the next. Then back to manual! I'm using the auto ZF atm and so far havnt even come close to feeling over it yet...or ready to go back to manual!

The only vehicles I could see myself going back too manual would be a roughish beater 4wd or a good handling powerfull small car.(focus RS or megane for eg)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #38
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Manual VS Auto???

Always drove a manual . But having sampled the ZF auto, the fun factor just goes up 10 folder , without very much effort ... Manual is fun, however , in the auto, you seem to have much more time to take in the noise, whine from the supercharger.
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #39
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're not sure, probably best to go for the auto.

I was tossing up both last time I bought a car, and I couldn't convince myself to take the manual: I figured I would enjoy it 20% of the time, be indifferent 60% of the time, and really hate it for the other 20%.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #40
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to admit, I'm converted. I drive an auto and have done since the EF. All manuals up until then. Maybe driving Ambulance vehicles made me lazy?

I used to shy away from the autos, as the sound of an EJ Holden auto, with a sports muffler, was a painful impression in my memory. I thought all auto would be that bad...even Fords.
Old 15-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #41
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Revy little 4cylinder or Small Sports car / Small capacity = Manual
V6/I6 or V8/V10,Medium to Large car / Large capacity = Auto
All out performance in med to large cars = Auto
Off road (proper 4wding) = Manual

Your Toy that's is only used for fun = what ever floats your boat as fun and that achieves your desired goal from a car.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Auto with SSS function - as good as a manual, won't change gears once in manual mode til you change (just like a manual). Changes faster than a manual (at least faster than I can), but is still an auto at heart for when you get sick of the manual changing (back to D and let it do the changing for you).

I use the GT in manual mode around 80% of the time - really only use D once I get to the speed I want to sit on, but then it's back to manual mode at the next roundabout or lights etc.

So if you can find an auto that has some form of manual mode, then you have the best of both worlds but without the clutch, but if you just get a manual, you are stuck always changing gears....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #43
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Always had manuals, bought FG XR6T with the ZF thinking it would convert me, it didn't

Manual all the way, i would swap back to one in a heartbeat
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #44
AGH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I have to admit, I'm converted. I drive an auto and have done since the EF. All manuals up until then. Maybe driving Ambulance vehicles made me lazy?

I used to shy away from the autos, as the sound of an EJ Holden auto, with a sports muffler, was a painful impression in my memory. I thought all auto would be that bad...even Fords.

Oh man....I know how you feel....that sound was even bad without the sports muffler....used to make me feel sick......and your makin me feel old!!!...you know why. That sound turned me off auto's full stop. In saying that I use a ZF now for the non daily drive and a manual for a daily drive....BUT I don't have to deal with stop start traffic...or rarely...
AGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #45
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Autos have come a long way, but as a drivers car, they're still not even close IMO.

Having said that, it's only an SUV, so it doesn't really matter...
Old 17-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #46
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4x4 is a manual, if I lose a cog generally I can get to safety. Last time my auto **** itself we had to drive home in reverse. Don't fancy doing that for a few hundred kms down a rough track.

Sports car is a tiptronic, semi auto. Fun using the steering wheel controls whilst smashing through the twisties from corner to corner.

Muscle car is manual, because dumping the clutch and frying the tyres is fun.

Daily falcons are all autos. Taxi duties...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a few people who think they are better than others because they own manuals. They don't say it in those words but you can tell if the topic ever comes up. Best one I have heard is 'auto is too hard to drive'. If you find auto hard to drive, hand in your license.
These people don't really get into driving either, just have basic cars.

Personally I will probably always get auto as a daily. Would enjoy manual as a weekender though.
I find where I live and places I often drive to, I often seam to be always getting held at red lights or slowing to make turns. I would get sick of driving that in manual quick smart. I'd be lucky if I could drive for more than 2 minutes without slowing down to turn or stop on an average day.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post