Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #31
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

apparently they can still pull you over if you're driving a bit fast in the NT.. like 150km/h... is ok but anything beyond that and they would pull you up, or if cars ahead are doing 130 and you're doing 150 etc.. i don't think they like that :P

but hey, i could be wrong , tis heresay
Old 13-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #32
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm guessing cause he is P-Plater, they pulled him over, then realised what speed he was doing....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 13-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #33
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

he must of had a big PPPPP plate for them to see it in the dark :P

damn if one day we get a loopy fruitloop PM we can have autobahns on every street, in every state
Old 13-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #34
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
apparently they can still pull you over if you're driving a bit fast in the NT.. like 150km/h... is ok but anything beyond that and they would pull you up, or if cars ahead are doing 130 and you're doing 150 etc.. i don't think they like that :P

but hey, i could be wrong , tis heresay
I never did have a drama with them. But once I heard a 350Z owner was doing 260kph was pulled over and cautioned. : That was the only case I have heard of. Don't know what the actual law is.
They say you should "Drive at a speed you are comfortable with, and that suit the conditions around you"
Old 13-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #35
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Without upsetting anyone i think some may have forgotten some of the stunts they pulled off when they were 17-18-19. I was a Dumbass and I'm sure there's plenty here that were. I was luck enough to survive (No accidents) and now have a better understanding for speed limits.... Not the 40km ones I don't understand those. Probably never will except outside schools.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 13-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #36
Phil
......Ford........

as its been said....been dumber than that when 17,18,19....went faster than the speedo, in the (VERY) incorrect places !
BUT didnt get caught... :
wouldnt dream of it now days
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Old 13-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
How ****ed off would you be not to reach the 200!! 3kms under :
I'll bet his speedo reads about 215 and he will be saying to his mates the radar gun was not working properly but his VL speedo was absolutly right. Fuwwy sik.
Old 13-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #38
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Different story if he took out the wife and little fella?

My point? none other than trying to establish what a tosser, and if peoples excuses are that we all have done this rather than try to help establish safe environments for the next generation to enjoy their cars ... pfft, why bother.

Just another thread.... different day.

Some of you may live already with the tragedy of what a car out of control can do, I hope most of you never will though.

Last edited by Laminge; 13-06-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 13-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #39
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfmtjoe
Hang on just a second fellas and just think back to when YOU were 17!!

Now tell us you NEVER broke the law in any way shape or form while driving on public roads!

The lord knows I have been a lot faster than this young bloke on public roads in cars that handle like a wheelbarrow compared to what he was he was in no doubt! I was a 17yo knob and bulletproof behind the wheel of a car and learnt the hard way eventually!

But now im 33 and havnt even had a fine in 7yrs so we all make mistakes when we are young and by no means am I condoning what this kid is doing but he is just one to get cought in prolly 1-2000 a day all around australia that do it every day!!!

Ok im now waiting for the shyte to land!!
Jeeezzz Back when I was bulletproof (sometime last century), I would have been happy with 160k, I actually got my *cough* 180B there one day, I think it took 4 minutes and a tailwind....
Old 13-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #40
matsbfxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
news.com.au's story on this says he was doing 120km in a 70 zone

Guess no-one really knows how fast he was going I assume the media just upped the km's a fair bit to make it look bad for P Platers
From The police NSW website,
• Penrith Highway Patrol detected a 17-year-old P-Plate driver allegedly travelling at 197km/h in 110km/h zone on the M4 Motorway at St Clair. His licence was suspended and he was charged with driving at a speed dangerous and exceed speed by 45km/h. He will appear in Penrith Local Court on 6 July.
lord knows what news.com.au were on about...
Old 13-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #41
matsbfxr6

here is another fine example.....

‘P-PLATER’ CLOCKED AT 140KM/H IN 70KM/H ZONE — KINGS LANGLEY

A teenager has been stripped of his provisional driver’s licence after being clocked travelling at twice the speed limit at Kings Langley in Sydney’s west.

Police from Blacktown Highway Patrol were conducting radar duties as part of Operation Stay Alert on Old Windsor Road about 8.30pm yesterday (Monday 12 June).

They allegedly observed a maroon 1985-model Holden Commodore station wagon travelling north at 140km/h in a 70km/h zone.

Officers signalled to the 18-year-old driver to stop the vehicle and he complied.

The Glenwood teenager produced a ‘P2’ licence, which was confiscated by police and immediately suspended.

He was issued a notice to attend Blacktown Local Court on Tuesday 11 July 2006 for the offences of speed dangerous and exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h.
Old 13-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #42
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I guess "Double the Speed Limit" sounds a lot worse? Who knows. Might have just stuffed up!
Old 13-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #43
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Ignore the media.. will improve your quality of life..

Here's the facts:
http://police.nsw.gov.au/news/recent...YUlEPTY4MTI%3D

Quote:
P-PLATER CLOCKED DRIVING 197km/H – ST CLAIR

12 June 2006

A youth’s licence has been suspended after he was allegedly caught travelling at nearly 90km/h over the speed limit in Sydney west last night.

About 10pm, highway patrol police detected a westbound Holden Commodore travelling at 197km/h in a sign-posted 110km/h zone on the M4 at St Clair.

The 17-year-old male driver from Richmond has been charged with exceed speed limit by more than 45km/h and his provisional licence suspended.

The youth will appear at Penrith Local Court on Wednesday 5 July.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice matsbafairmontghia's post..

The 150-in-a-70 zone is this story:

http://police.nsw.gov.au/news/recent...YUlEPTY4MjU%3D

Quote:
Alleged street racers have cars confiscated - Baulkham Hills

13 June 2006

Two ‘P’ plate drivers allegedly street racing at 150km/h in Sydney’s west have had their licences suspended and cars confiscated.

Highway Patrol officers from The Hills were conducting stationary speed detection duties on Old Windsor Road at Baulkham Hills about 12.45am today.

Two cars, a Holden Astra and a Hyundai Excel, were allegedly detected travelling at 150km/h and 151km/h as they approached police. The area has a 70km/h speed limit and is currently undergoing road works.

Both cars were stopped and the male drivers questioned by police. There were no other occupants in either vehicle.

The men, an 18-year-old from Quakers Hill and a 19-year-old from Acacia Gardens, were each charged with drive manner/speed dangerous and exceed speed over 45km/h as well as having their licences suspended and cars confiscated.

The 19-year-old man was also charged with not display ‘P’ plates.

Both men were bailed to appear at Parramatta Local Court on 6 July 2006.
Old 13-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #44
matsbfxr6

lol... astra vs excel that would have been an exciting, thrilling & exhilarating race...
Old 13-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #45
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

They must have been on the limiter to get to 150!!! :evil_laug :hihi:
Old 13-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #46
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
So none of you have pushed the envelope?
Nah I never have.

I would go to the track.
Old 13-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #47
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

I am a recovering hoon so i can't say anything against these guys. I know i have been a complete idiot for what i have done and I know i am extreemly lucky that i am still alive. I guess it would help if there were more track days ... i don't know. I know why i speed, if at all any more, and thats because its a thrill. We can't stop the thrill factor so the governments and us may as well find effective ways to have safe and controlled outlets for this thrill factor. Mind you people who speed to get places faster are ignorant.
Old 13-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #48
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
Mind you people who speed to get places faster are ignorant.
So if I choose to do 140kph instead of 100 in the NT, to try and cut 3 hours off a days driving, I am ignorant am I? :
The whole reason for the open limits up there is because the joint is huge! You can drive for a solid day and still be in the NT!
As this would be classed as speeding in any other state in Australia.
Half of the roads in QLD are not good enough to do 100 on, let alone over that! Smart State my Ar$e!

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 13-06-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #49
Miss_XR6

you are all liars u cant say none of u have ever gone speeding even if its only 5km's over the speed limit its still speeding
Old 13-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
I am a recovering hoon so i can't say anything against these guys. I know i have been a complete idiot for what i have done and I know i am extreemly lucky that i am still alive. I guess it would help if there were more track days ... i don't know. I know why i speed, if at all any more, and thats because its a thrill. We can't stop the thrill factor so the governments and us may as well find effective ways to have safe and controlled outlets for this thrill factor. Mind you people who speed to get places faster are ignorant.
It always makes me smile when someone who lives in a city makes statements like this.

You are aware there are some parts of Australia where there is not a petrol station or small town for many hundreds of kilometres aren't you?
The is the warm and fuzzy stupid logic used by the dropkicks in government to back up the "speed kills, every K over is a dollar" dogma.

The difference between 100km/h and 200km/h (in places where it is legal) in that it takes about half the time, that is what might be a 12 hour journey takes 6.
There is no one here who can drive for 12 hours and still be alert and safe.

As far as the rest of it, there is bugger all detail so why not wait for all the facts. Lots of things are grey not black & white.

e.g.
Craig Lowndes or Mark Skaife, when they were P Platers, in a Porsche or M3 travelling at 200km/h on a freeway at 2AM would have committed the same offence as the above but I suspect would have beem a hell of a lot safer than a dropkick in a rusty old XL or XP with crossply tyres and no seatbelts going 110km/h.

Safe and legal do not always go together.

There are many far more stupid things that you can do on the road.
e.g.
Double park outside a school at 3pm.
Modifiy your car with dodgey bits to make it look good (cut springs)
SMS while dribing in traffic.

No one here has ever done that either, have they......

I personally did not do 200km/h until I was about 35, only because none of my cars could do it.

Let he has not sinned cast the first stone......

(and if say you have NEVER commited a traffic offence then you probably should not be on this forum because you are either a liar or have never driven a car)
Old 13-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #51
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
you are all liars u cant say none of u have ever gone speeding even if its only 5km's over the speed limit its still speeding
Ohh so we are all liars now.... Good one : :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Yes I have. In a company car In the Northern Territory where they have Open Speed Limits
Just in case you missed it! It is legal in the NT to drive at whatever speed you feel safe at, on open highways signposted like so

I will not speed in QLD, Unless I am overtaking a Road Train/Long vehicle. I always get out and around as quickly as possible.
As I have said, the roads are barely good enough to do 100 on, let alone over that.

P.S. Its You. Not U. Is it really that hard to type an extra 2 letters? :

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 13-06-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #52
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
You will find that alot of people on this forum (being a car enthusiasts forum) vent thier thrills out at a race track and not the public road.....yeah sure everyone has done something naughty from time to time, I know I have....but what this bloke did in his Commo is just plain stupid...its not hard, pay ya $50 bucks or what ever it is and go to the track! This is a touchy subject for me as one of my closest friends was killed in his car along with his girlfriend and his 2 month old baby, when a speeding lunatic (like the one we're talking about) lost control at 200kmh crossed the freeway and smashed into them.....Cant understand why anyone would want to condone this behaviour

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
Old 13-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #53
Miss_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It always makes me smile when someone who lives in a city makes statements like this.

You are aware there are some parts of Australia where there is not a petrol station or small town for many hundreds of kilometres aren't you?
The is the warm and fuzzy stupid logic used by the dropkicks in government to back up the "speed kills, every K over is a dollar" dogma.

The difference between 100km/h and 200km/h (in places where it is legal) in that it takes about half the time, that is what might be a 12 hour journey takes 6.
There is no one here who can drive for 12 hours and still be alert and safe.

As far as the rest of it, there is bugger all detail so why not wait for all the facts. Lots of things are grey not black & white.

e.g.
Craig Lowndes or Mark Skaife, when they were P Platers, in a Porsche or M3 travelling at 200km/h on a freeway at 2AM would have committed the same offence as the above but I suspect would have beem a hell of a lot safer than a dropkick in a rusty old XL or XP with crossply tyres and no seatbelts going 110km/h.

Safe and legal do not always go together.

There are many far more stupid things that you can do on the road.
e.g.
Double park outside a school at 3pm.
Modifiy your car with dodgey bits to make it look good (cut springs)
SMS while dribing in traffic.

No one here has ever done that either, have they......

I personally did not do 200km/h until I was about 35, only because none of my cars could do it.

Let he has not sinned cast the first stone......

(and if say you have NEVER commited a traffic offence then you probably should not be on this forum because you are either a liar or have never driven a car)
you are aware that there are same roads in australia where there is no speed limit and u are free to do the speed u like in a safe manner that is staying in your lane and having control of the vechile
Old 13-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #54
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
you are aware that there are same roads in australia where there is no speed limit and u are free to do the speed u like in a safe manner that is staying in your lane and having control of the vechile
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Here it is, incase you missed it again...
It is legal in the NT, as I have stated above! :
Old 13-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #55
LO_ GHIA
cruisin

This is just stupidity personified!!! Kid is an absolute d!(k head (just like i was).

Long story short, when i got my P's 3.5 years ago, all i wanted to do was race, and see how fast the old TX5 could go. After 3 months of driving, I lost my licence for 4months. Thinking i was invincible, i kept driving. Sure enough, i got caught drag racing doing 177km/h in a 70 zone. Yeah, STUPID!!!!! Went to court, expecting AT LEAST 2years cancellation. Went up against 10 driving charges (driving without licence, reckless driving, dangerous driving, exceeding speed limit by more than 45km/h....etc). Walked out of the courtroom WITH my licence, 125hours worth of community service, driver training course and 12months good behaviour bond. That day cost my parents upwards of $3000. My lesson was learnt, havent had a ticket since.

But if i put myself in the coppers shoes, i would have kicked the living CRAP out of me.

Nothing is going to stop these hoons. Unless they get it out of their system on a track, which should be mandatory before they get their licence.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #56
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you put it that way, yes I have done it a few times.

Alot of it's "Accidental speeding" (If there's such a thing).

By all means, I will not make up excuses, because it's still breaking the law.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #57
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

meh, in my area we had a P plater get done for 247kmph in a 100zone, couldnt beleive it didnt make the news!

Edit: forgot to mention his passenger was filming the whole event!!!
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Old 13-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #58
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

There are two types if you ask me... I could be wrong.... "Reckless" Speeding, and "Accidental" Speeding.
"Reckless"- Going out and deliberately speeding ie- racing, dragging whatever. Speeding in a 40klm School Zone is reckless if you ask me.
"Accidental"- Going slightly over the limit without knowing, or going 10klm faster to overtake a road train.
There is no excuse for speeding, I know. But I for one will speed if overtaking, to get out and around a road train as quickly as possible.
I could be wrong, and no doubt someone will let me know if I am! :
Old 13-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Here it is, incase you missed it again...
It is legal in the NT, as I have stated above! :
No not missed at all Darran, I said in places where is it legal, e.g. NT.
My best trip was Mt Isa to Mataranka in 7 hours inc fuel stops.

Doing 200km/h in QLD might get you there in half time or might get you a lot of grief with the law.........

I have, on the odd occasion, done 250++ in NT on the Barkly & Stuart and the Stuart about 48km south of Darwin was the first place I ever did 200km/h. (1999)
Old 13-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #60
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not the smoothest way of starting your posting career. A little more tact and better grammar would have been nicer to get your point across.
Like this
Quote:
So none of you have pushed the envelope?
Have fun on the forums.

Last edited by deesun; 13-06-2006 at 06:53 PM. Reason: can't even get my own spelling right
Closed Thread