Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What to you do when the heavens open?
Pull over and stop immediately 3 1.99%
Continue to a low traffic area and pull over 6 3.97%
Continue slowly to planned destination with headlights on 138 91.39%
Continue slowly to planned destination with hazard lights on 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #31
hambo_12

Last year there were actually a couple of spots of rain that made me completely pull over, it was that heavy. But normally, I just bung on the headlights and slow down a bit.

A bit O/T, but what really gets on my nerves is people that think just because it is day time they can drive with their high beams on constantly : ...Sorry, just a pet peeve...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #32
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I can remember a couple of occasions when it has poured so heaviliy that I have had to slow to a crawl (with wipers on fastest setting & lights on) but I can't say I've ever had to pull over.

Yep just kept on going but at a snails pace.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #33
MRJUCY
Fordless

If it's rain whack the headlights on & keep going but in my car in hail I'll find safe cover any other car tho I wouldn't care.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #34
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I Test the grip levels of my Focus :-P
Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #35
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

"What Do (WILL) You Do When The Heavens Open ?

STOP , jump out of the car , get down on my knee's and say "Thank You" Lol ... :

We've had hardly any rain last year and this year :

But when it happens , same as most others here

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #36
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

use to live in innisfail, all you do is slow right down, leave big distance between you and car in front, turn lights on, wipers at full speed and pray to god you dont brake traction

theres been alot of times when its raining so hard your wiper cant keep up, but some reason iv never had to pull over

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #37
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't remember what real rain is its been too long

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #38
INDEEP
CHEV owner

Where I'm from (Young, NSW) any kind of moisture on the roads at all means all the Commo drivers (town is overrun by them) go home, jack up rear, fit interceptors with specially designed "burnout" tyres; (half bald Skyway radials) head back into the main part of town, and show everyone how much horsepower you have with dazzling displays of "Elbogan-nopowero-drifto".

I'm sure somewhere in the world, there is somebody (other than 15 year old school girls), who is impressed by this...

As for me, I try not to spin out in the aluminium trayed, light truck tyre wearing work Hilux; and I can't remember what I used to do in a torrential downpour... Haven't seen one in so friggen long! I vaguely call recall taking longer to get places, and having lights on or something...
Old 02-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #39
MON10A

whats this rain stuff your talking about? cant say i remember what it is.
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #40
Gunns
Banned

Slap Saint Peter in the head and ask how did I end up here!

Sorry miss understood the heading, get the car under cover as quick as possible
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I normally chuck on the headlights and drive to the conditions. It's funny when you slow down then someone overtakes you and they hit a big *** puddle and **** themselves.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #42
BA Turbo

also try and avoid anything with a bogan behind the wheel, as rain seems to bring them out... :([/QUOTE]

LOL nice 1.

SO true.
BA Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #43
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
What do you do when the heavens open?
Look up, wave and say "Hi Dad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Parklights (sidelights-position) 'alone' under such conditions are illegal.
Parking lights are only good for for doing what they're named for... 'Parking'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
In the years ahead, you will see the governing Rule, 221(e) abolished, as rear fog lamps become mandatory on all new vehicles.
Oh please dont say that. It's bad enough now with all these corkheads driving around with them on (in good conditions) and wondering what the little light on the dash means!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #44
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and do some fishtails!! Just kidding, don't drive a VL.

I slow down, lights on and leave some room. Never had it too bad that I had to pull over yet.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #45
xt3valve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

continue driving sideways around the corner, up the street, until you reach your destination. NOT! Learnt my lesson in my old EL Fairmont. I dont be stupid in the wet anymore ive grown up and too many bad experiances.
Gearbox: Fully rebuilt BTR 4sp, Chryogenicaly treated, high stall
490rwhp E85
xt3valve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #46
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Id try to find a servo to hide in lol!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #47
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

light rain, lights on and continue at safe distance from other vehicles
heavy rain, as above at slower speed
torrential down pour, slow down, lights and hazards on, find a safe place to pull over away from traffic
hail in any rain, find cover immediatly, i cannt afford to pay excess on my insurance for hail damage

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #48
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just thought id tell ya when I was in Germany on a Contiki Tour Coach it rained like I have never seen rain before. The rain made the windscreen white and you could not see anything at all! not even the tail lights on the car infront! Yet the coach driver did not lighten his foot and we were all sitting there in silence.
Then the windscreen cleared up and the rain stopped, it was like flying through a storm cloud then popping up throught the top into blue sky.
Litteraly seconds after it cleared a Jaguar zoomed passed us at my estimation of 150km+ (the speed limit is not as stict as us over there) followed by a motorcyclist who then rode in the emergency lane and kicked his door in!!! At that speed!!!
Every one over there also puts there Hazard lights on when stopping suddenly to tell following cars to stop NOW. Does anyone do this??? Its new to me.
This would be difficult in my HX ute as the Hazard button is mounted on top of my steering wheel column and you have to put your hand throught the wheel to turn it on.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #49
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Oh please dont say that. It's bad enough now with all these corkheads driving around with them on (in good conditions) and wondering what the little light on the dash means!
Much less complaints about this, rem, it was the Excel that folk most often complained about, yet all Hyundai's had them. Reason was that on this model the switch was located at knee height and was easily knocked on when entering/existing the vehicle.

(I note the new 2-door Mitsu Colt has one, clear lens opp reverse that glows, red, naturally). Not me, a g/f wanted to see one.

Anyhow, by all 'new market vehicles' having them, ALL drivers will have a better understanding of them, AND the driver manuals all have text to the effect they may only be used under seriously blah blah blah.

It'll be alright.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
lol some parts of Sydney also experience this phenomenon - although the parts I usually seem to drive in, it goes somewhat like this:

Heavy rain begins - all lights on, hazards on, slow down to 10km/h, block every single lane, act panicked and put your hands on your head like you have never seen water before, proceed as if you are driving a rollerskate on slicks instead of a modern car with deep grooved tyres designed to operate in wet weather, wherever possible block all emergency lanes by parking angled across them and then proceeding to call your loved ones to say goodbye to the world. When it ends make a Captain Obvious comment about how it is "good for the drought".
So so true ... I was caught in it the other afternoon near Bankstown Airport .... and these people were everywhere.

I usually proceed through it regardless ... seeing everyone has pulled off the road ... the only ones continuing are trucks (which is much better than maniac drivers with no idea).

I already drive during the day with low beam on ... so in the rain I turn foglights on.

Oh .... and as mentioned before .... Rain-EX is the goods.

I still can't believe the number of people that don't turn lights on in the rain (specially silver cars). :
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #51
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I put my lights on and drive slowly trying to find somewhere undercover if it hails.

Last time it hailed I parked in an underground carpark for a block of apartments. Was locked inside for over two hours. Funny how you can enter with no card, but when you try to leave you have to swipe the card. So no card = waiting.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #52
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep that rain-x is good ****, i dont even need to use the wipers
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #53
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I still can't believe the number of people that don't turn lights on in the rain (specially silver cars). :
Even in the dry, silver can be a bugger of a colour to see.

I know that silver is a really popular colour. No doubt a lot of people on these forums have silver cars, and I mean no offence, but I will never own one. It can be very hard to see on the road, and to me this colour choice is something that could so easily lead to death and/or serious injury.

I haven't seen any analysis of motor vehicle accident statistics by vehicle colour. I don't even know if they exist. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if silver cars have some disproportionate representation.

It is a factor that people should, perhaps, consider when they order a new car.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #54
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point, I shall buy a fluorescent coloured falcon next time I buy second hand
HEH Imagine a HI VIS falcon HA!
what about something with the reflective surface that the street signs have hehe.. no joking I am joking :P

I would rather a white car anyway!

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #55
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Our ED Fairmont is Polynesian Green , pretty hard to see when the sun is gettin low , so in dry weather we always put the headlights on a little earlier than normal . In wet weather we always have them on , better to have them on and be seen .

When I had my accident years ago , the colour of my car "may" have been a contributing factor in the crash . It was a Kelly Green XLE Cortina , bad colour green and black grille on the car would have been hard to see at 4-30pm on a country road . My kids used to give me heaps about my last car , they called it "The Banana Bus" Yellow XF Wagon , least you could see it in ALL weather .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #56
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Okay. so its pi$$ing down raining, your on a freeway and visibility is shot - cars have stopped and the road is blocked by a crash. The risk of additional collision is high.

Question; in an effort carry out urgent traffic duty, would you throw on a fluroescent (orange or green), night-use reflective striped 'safety vest' to aid in your pedestrian safety whilst on scene?

Or, like many - would you consider them too 'gay' for Aussie use? (Even under lousy conditions such as at this link).
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=26429

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...29&postcount=1

Would you pay $5.95 for one? Curious, as to how serious we take road safety matters.

(No, I am not selling anything).

** Cost of such an item bearing Euro compliance at Hot Dollar

Last edited by Keepleft; 05-03-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #57
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey i will vouch for the effectiveness of fog lights on euro imports such as focii and barinas.

I was overtaken by a focus a few months ago in heavy fog, and I am in an ef, with no such additions bar spotlights which are as you all may be aware ineffective in fog conditions.
but for me I could tell the focus was ahead of me for some time as the halo of red light was quite effective,
however that said; I really find them annoying in clear weather conditions where they are very bright and reduce said visibility ahead.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #58
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
hey i will vouch for the effectiveness of fog lights on euro imports such as focii and barinas.

I was overtaken by a focus a few months ago in heavy fog, and I am in an ef, with no such additions bar spotlights which are as you all may be aware ineffective in fog conditions.
but for me I could tell the focus was ahead of me for some time as the halo of red light was quite effective,
however that said; I really find them annoying in clear weather conditions where they are very bright and reduce said visibility ahead.
This image is an example of vehicles with rear fogs on under lousy conditions. One vehicle joining the F3 southbound has twin rear fogs on, the other, a single driver side unit. Compare to the other traffic nearby, those with mere P12/5 watt taillights.

Remember, our RTA cameras are up high and away from most of the surface moisture (mist, fog, white-out) that you get in rain conditions.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=26430

My vest question stands though, for such conditions and in clear too.

REAR FOG EDUCATION
- See your driver manual "Your Keys to Driving in QLD", this has text clearly stating when they may be used now. New update mid to late 2007. POLICE to enforce.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #59
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I turn on my driving/fog lights (as I always drive with my headlights on anyway) and thank God for my DSC through the puddles and around the corners.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #60
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon rear fog lights should be standard on any car. In heavy enough rain it is very hard to see just normal lights. They are a good idea but can be designed bad and look crap ala Excel.

My one is included in the design of the rear light assembly and you have no idea unless it's on. Look at the massive difference and tell me they aint a good idea. I have used it numerous times in the rain.

When you are on a road with a lot of cars doing close to 100km/h and even when they are doing less there can be a massive amount of spray whipped up
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post