Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #61
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Do reverse cameras really improve safety when reversing?

Here's an example of why reversing cameras should not be relied upon instead of mirrors.

I was pushing a fully loaded shopping trolley along a line of cars going back to our wagon when just as I got to the gap between the last car and the next, which happened to be a dual cab 4x4, the peanut driving suddenly started up and began backing out. In that instant I looked over at him and he had his head down looking at his centre dash as far as I could tell. I yelled at him and bashed his tailgate but he was so fixated on his reversing screen he didn't hear me till the trolley banged into the back of his car. It was only then that he actually looked up and would down the window to apologize... which I ignored and gave him a serve anyway.
Yes, it was on dusk so the trolley might have been harder to spot in his camera but we were parked in the front row facing the supermarket with the supermarket lights spilling out onto the cars and the car park. If the bloke had bothered to look around and check his mirrors and bind spots before starting the car and backing out he would have seen me and possibly the car that was coming up the line as well.

I think there needs to be some basic education to let people know that cameras should be used in conjunction with mirrors and looking around first, not instead of.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #62
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Do reverse cameras really improve safety when reversing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Here's an example of why reversing cameras should not be relied upon instead of mirrors.

I was pushing a fully loaded shopping trolley along a line of cars going back to our wagon when just as I got to the gap between the last car and the next, which happened to be a dual cab 4x4, the peanut driving suddenly started up and began backing out. In that instant I looked over at him and he had his head down looking at his centre dash as far as I could tell. I yelled at him and bashed his tailgate but he was so fixated on his reversing screen he didn't hear me till the trolley banged into the back of his car. It was only then that he actually looked up and would down the window to apologize... which I ignored and gave him a serve anyway.
Yes, it was on dusk so the trolley might have been harder to spot in his camera but we were parked in the front row facing the supermarket with the supermarket lights spilling out onto the cars and the car park. If the bloke had bothered to look around and check his mirrors and bind spots before starting the car and backing out he would have seen me and possibly the car that was coming up the line as well.

I think there needs to be some basic education to let people know that cameras should be used in conjunction with mirrors and looking around first, not instead of.
I'm amazed on how many people that get into their cars & reverse straight away without looking at all, don't use mirrors or look over shoulder, nothing new here.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: