Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #61
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The old Focus RS met all those requirements except for the AWD or RWD part. Hell, the ST170 met most of them. The new turbo 5cyl RS will be a stormer too. If you ask me, they've got the small car department covered. The 5cyl RS will be, from what I understand, the fastest, best handling car in its class.
If it's FWD, it doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I doubt I'm the only one with that opinion.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #62
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The GTHO will happen, they will easily sell all of them (EL GT sold out 250 pretty quickly), but it more than likely won't be BA based, and it won't be a stripper. I'd imagine it would only become available on the next all new Falcon. The dillema FPV are facing isn't development costs, or worries about wether they will sell or not, their dillema is wether a new GTHO will live up to the legend of the originals. David Flint has said this many times before. Until it can live up to the hype surrounding it, it won't be built, period.

David Flints comments about an FPV Fairlane on GoAuto have pretty much ruled it out. There is bugger all demand for Fairlanes so why would there be much demand for an FPV version. He said if the Fairlane starts to sell then they will look at it more closely, but with the T3 Fairlane only selling 3 it won't happen, and rightly so. Its not worth the development dollars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #63
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

amen!!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #64
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While Im always for a more powerful and technically advanced falcon, Ford should never ever build a GTHO period, leave the nameplate in the past where it belongs.

Why? Because no matter what Ford could do these days - there WILL be something wrong with it and there will be non stop criticism. Just think about how much the US loves the Munro with Pontiac GTO plates and you will see where Im coming from.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #65
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

digging up a old thread but after reading this post on ls1 forums i dont think ford should resurrect the gtho.
it is held in such high regard in both camps that resurrecting it could give the gtho name a blemish it doesnt want or deserve.
my 2c
cheers
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=43741
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #66
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

If ford resurrect the GTHO (something viable and should be undertaken), it must come factory fitted with a Blower..... it: :hihi:

IMO, its not a matter of if, its a matter of when.

Ford needs something to compete with the market, other than a GT-P, GT, Phoon....

On a serious note, it would have to have a blower. Ford smashed Holden with the Phoon, they may as well (and we all know they are experimenting with blowers), put a blower on the BOSS, and pump out those GT-HO.

Phase 4......

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #67
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Why does everyone want a stripper GT-HO? It was NEVER a stripper car, ever. The thing was based on the Fairmont, with more power, etc etc. Its kind of like the TS50 was with T3, or the GT-P is now. A stripper GT-HO would be a mistake. They need to make another Sprint to appease all you people who want a stripper sports car thing.
Yes true steffo, but that was 30 years ago ! We need to be smarter and move with the times! The easierest way to make a car perform better is to make it lighter , hence the word performance ! You can have all the power in the wolrd in a heavy car and will still get raped by a low horsepower low light weight ricemobile cause the tryes cant keep up ! I know its a road car we are talking about butwho says road cars cant have true race car heritage !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep saying this, Ford build passenger vehicles, not racecars....!
The "stripper" concept will NEVER happen, it isnt comercially viable.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #69
billyb35

How about throwing a V10 in it?
billyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #70
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
If ford resurrect the GTHO (something viable and should be undertaken), it must come factory fitted with a Blower..... it: :hihi:
And add more weight over the front wheels for even less mid corner speed :
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb35
How about throwing a V10 in it?
why on earth would you do that?
It is longer, weighs more and will alienate people from the culture of Aussie Ford performance: V8's.The DOHC 4V 5.4 makes plenty of grunt and has plenty of potential.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #72
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Yeah, I've got good advice on the HO coming in October too. Even if you look at FPV's website, they are alluding to a change, and to watch this space.
It only makes sense too doesn't it, when you consider that Ford have confirmed that the boss 260 and 290 are going to be unchanged in the BF. My guess is that after probably mega bucks in investment for the HO, anyone disappointed with the lack of changes in the present FPV lineup will be able to get the GTHO.
Those of you who don't want the GTHO name used I must ask why?
Even Holden respects the fact that Ford made the fastest production car in Australia, and if they build something with about 350KW and manners to suit why shouldn't they take that nameplate again. Nothing off the shelf at Holden will be able to match it once it goes on sale, and ford will again be the maker of the fastest production car in Oz.
Sure Holden will probably get like an 8 litre engine to beat it in the VE, but that's atleast 9 months that Ford will have the power/performance title over Holden in decades. That's gotta equate to great sales for the GTHO. I predict it will be in the high 70K range, as that will not price it out of the GT or GT-P buyers range. Congrats I think should be given to ford for recognising a unique opportunity to exploit the competitions attention being focussed elsewhere ie the VE.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #73
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Yeah, I've got good advice on the HO coming in October too. Even if you look at FPV's website, they are alluding to a change, and to watch this space.
It only makes sense too doesn't it, when you consider that Ford have confirmed that the boss 260 and 290 are going to be unchanged in the BF. My guess is that after probably mega bucks in investment for the HO, anyone disappointed with the lack of changes in the present FPV lineup will be able to get the GTHO.
Even Holden respects the fact that Ford made the fastest production car in Australia, and if they build something with about 350KW and manners to suit why shouldn't they take that nameplate again. Nothing off the shelf at Holden will be able to match it once it goes on sale, and ford will again be the maker of the fastest production car in Oz.
Sure Holden will probably get like an 8 litre engine to beat it in the VE, but that's atleast 9 months that Ford will have the power/performance title over Holden in decades. That's gotta equate to great sales for the GTHO. I predict it will be in the high 70K range, as that will not price it out of the GT or GT-P buyers range. Congrats I think should be given to ford for recognising a unique opportunity to exploit the competitions attention being focussed elsewhere ie the VE.
Priced in hi 70's? that's the GT-P.
If it does happen expect 100K+
There are already allot of deposits sitting with Ford dealers for a limited build "GTHO" if it ever happens.
My mail is that if it does ever happen then most of the 250 units are already pre sold to preferential customers or those with deposits.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #74
jmc-007

Can anyone say anything without being Smacked for it.

Prob. Not

:togo:

See what happens in October. not long to go now :P

:
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I'd say your good advice is not good at all, and you will be very dissapointed come October. The change mentioned on the FPV website is in regard to the BF.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #76
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Phase 4......
Wouldn't the new GT-HO be the Phase 5?
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #77
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
Wouldn't the new GT-HO be the Phase 5?
Technically Ford had pencilled the XA or XB GT coupe in as phase 5, the spare parts manual lists parts for the XBGTHO so there had been planning in place for the Phase 5.
If the BF"GTHO" has no racing intentions then i can't see any point for Ford to give it a phase designation, however im sure it will adopt a unofficial phase name anyway if it does happen..

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #78
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Technically Ford had pencilled the XA or XB GT coupe in as phase 5, the spare parts manual lists parts for the XBGTHO so there had been planning in place for the Phase 5.
If the BF"GTHO" has no racing intentions then i can't see any point for Ford to give it a phase designation, however im sure it will adopt a unofficial phase name anyway if it does happen..
Just which Spare Parts Manual are you talking about? If you mean the Ford one I can assure you that you are 110% WRONG.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #79
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Just which Spare Parts Manual are you talking about? If you mean the Ford one I can assure you that you are 110% WRONG.
yes the Ford spare parts manual, there are a number of parts listed for the 72XAGT - 73XBGT that carry HO designation but were clearly never fitted or avaliable on the XA or XBGT range.

1st example: section 95 page 3 carb listing for XA/XBGTHO, body shell 54H/65H (sedan/coupe respectivly) part number D0ZF/Z CA 780 holley carb.
Its an obvious error due to forward planning, but showed they were planning none the less.

Last edited by 4Vman; 05-09-2005 at 08:33 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #80
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There won't be a HO this October .. or any October. As much as it pains me to say this ... the 70s have been and gone .. and so has the HO. To give it the performance it would need to live up to the name and beat the best Holden has to offer, it would be too much for the Harold Scrubys of the world to ignore ( remember the F6? ) .... not to mention a handfull in the wet... not to mention the cost of fuel at the moment... not to mention insurance.
Mind you, I hope I am wrong.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
There won't be a HO this October .. or any October. As much as it pains me to say this ... the 70s have been and gone .. and so has the HO. To give it the performance it would need to live up to the name and beat the best Holden has to offer, it would be too much for the Harold Scrubys of the world to ignore ( remember the F6? ) .... not to mention a handfull in the wet... not to mention the cost of fuel at the moment... not to mention insurance.
I think you're right for all those reasons!!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #82
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you're right for all those reasons!!
But we all hope you are wrong! :p
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #83
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

just to let you all know that if a GTHO has been scrapped, then it's only a recent decision, because i know that Ford re-registered and protected the 'GTHO' name in 2002.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #84
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd say your good advice is not good at all, and you will be very dissapointed come October. The change mentioned on the FPV website is in regard to the BF.
Yes, well we'll just have to wait and see who was right and who was wrong.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #85
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
I agree, theres probably not much chance for something like that to appear in the current climate. However.... a Herrods GTHO pack for GT's wouldnt be too bad now would it?(HINT HINT HINT) Maybe something similar to the DJR upgrade but a bit(Read Alot) better?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Last edited by Sourbastard; 06-09-2005 at 09:16 AM. Reason: chance not change
Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #86
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
just to let you all know that if a GTHO has been scrapped, then it's only a recent decision, because i know that Ford re-registered and protected the 'GTHO' name in 2002.
Maybe they are just preventing others from using it, a lesson hard learned after the GT40 debacle.

After all I suspect they don't really want an aftermarket "enhancer" to produce the "xxx" GTHO with a blown alloy V8 that absolutely wipes the floor with the FPV products.

Imagine if HSV had let GTS lapse and CSV or whomever had called their Mondo a GTS. Maybe it would have sold a bit better.

Actually there is a lesson in that, the Mondo was much quicker and more powerful than the concurrent HSV models but was not a huge success. Why? Maybe the market for hyper-performance cars is just in the fantasy world of those who cannot afford them but like to dream? Then again maybe not.
I am sure FPV's marketing gurus have looked at this long and hard.

Still, whatever happens, happens, there is bugger all we (forumites) can really do about it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually there is a lesson in that, the Mondo was much quicker and more powerful than the concurrent HSV models but was not a huge success. Why? Maybe the market for hyper-performance cars is just in the fantasy world of those who cannot afford them but like to dream?
There is allot of truth in that statement...
I think the demand for a Hi performance Falcon above the current GT/GT-P from those with the $$ to be able to afford it is far less than from those without the $$... in dream land.
FPV arent stupid, they research market demand/opportunity thoroughly.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #88
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually there is a lesson in that, the Mondo was much quicker and more powerful than the concurrent HSV models but was not a huge success. Why? Maybe the market for hyper-performance cars is just in the fantasy world of those who cannot afford them but like to dream? Then again maybe not.
I am sure FPV's marketing gurus have looked at this long and hard.
Maybe it it was because the Corsa required a lot, lot more, of the folding over its HSV cousin too. There is always a reality point where buyers will consider buying a late model italian instead.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #89
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Maybe it it was because the Corsa required a lot, lot more, of the folding over its HSV cousin too. There is always a reality point where buyers will consider buying a late model italian instead.
Thats true too but the reality is for Ford to make a vehicle significantly better than GT/GT-P the cost is going to be over 100K so were back in the same boat as CSV/DJR.
You can't have champagne for the price of Beer!

Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #90
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Thats true too but the reality is for Ford to make a vehicle significantly better than GT/GT-P the cost is going to be over 100K so were back in the same boat as CSV/DJR.
You can't have champagne for the price of Beer!
Not necessarily.

Factory blower and you're there.

leess than 10k to make it happen.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post