Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #61
Fordoldie

Thats true, I think most most private sales (and sales in general) have been upper level models in NZ. However I think I would re-quote if I was you as I hear the residual values have changed for the better this month (unless you are talking this month already)
Our company has ordered several Omega but have to wait until January so somebody must be buying them
Fordoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #62
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
We must thank holden for everything ford has because because otherwise we still would be caby fed with steel wheels if holden didnt force ford to move forward. Hopefuly fledging sales will force ford to try and not just match holden but better them not by a bit but by a lot in every department. Doubt i'll ever see that day though. So true with the leadership and laughing stock coments.
How exaclty did Holden get Ford to move forward? Was it by releasing the original VB COmmodore with 80% local content while the German model (Opel Senator) had I.R.S, O.H.C, 4W Disks and a 4 speed auto, in 1978! Or was it the VL Commodore with a Nissan engine and rear drum brakes? Or back to an ALL PUSHROD fleet with the release of the VN? Please explain?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #63
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
whats the camery got? fuel eco and a cheap price?
Better build quality, reliability and cheaper to run
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #64
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Those Holden numbers are inflated, alot will be pre-release orders to the fleets. There is absolutely no point in reading anything into this and the newspaper journo should have know better than make those claims - just last month there were articles about the worst new-release month since the VT.

Just wait till it all settles down.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #65
Wally
XP Coupe

It's a bit like footy and bums on seats. There might be a lot of barracking for Ford, but if the fans don't have the money or inclination to buy, the takings will be scant. Holden may or may not be better than Ford, but they have managed to target middle Australia pretty well.

Ford need to pull their finger out and produce a car that looks good. The AU accelerated the slide for Ford because the public didn't like the looks of it, but they have naively perservered with it instead of dumping it. I guess the parent being on the brink of chapter 11 for some time has caused the problem.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #66
janek
Ripping it up

People seem to fail to realise that its not all new tech in the VE. they boast irs. wow. my freaken 1972 peugeot had IRS.

all of the features in the VE my 'mont ghia already has, plus i have way more room
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #67
Fordoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Those Holden numbers are inflated, alot will be pre-release orders to the fleets. There is absolutely no point in reading anything into this and the newspaper journo should have know better than make those claims - just last month there were articles about the worst new-release month since the VT.

Just this month the media now quote second record month in a row so not sure where you got that one from?
You are right one would suggest a number of pre-ordered rentals being in those numbers however.

"NEWSFLASH"
How about the news that you cant have a VE Taxi? At least not until later in the year/New year. Apparently they forgot to tell everyone that you cannot fit a Taxi meter to them as they havent designed a software compatible. Someone I know just picked up his new VE SV6 in Auckland to be told by the fitter they couldnt fit his car out! Bet they are not telling too many people that one....
Old 06-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #68
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura

Inflated how? Are Ford's numbers inflated? Cause Ford would certainly be wanting some Fleet contracts. The numbers quoted are of cars that have been registered in the last month, all makers get the numbers the same way, there is no conspiracy. The VE is a good car and can't doubt that, I have seen so many of them in Melbourne over the last month. Many people have waited for this car for a long time. I don't expect BF2 to do anything spectacular with Aurion here now.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #69
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

What did everyone expect exactly? New car, sqwillions spent; it had to happen or Holden would be packing their dacks!

The next month or two will be bad for Ford, after that though there is no excuse and they either need to work some kind of magic with there marketing, or they have to beat holden on cost; simple as that really.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #70
Fordoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
What did everyone expect exactly? New car, sqwillions spent; it had to happen or Holden would be packing their dacks!
The next month or two will be bad for Ford, after that though there is no excuse and they either need to work some kind of magic with there marketing, or they have to beat holden on cost; simple as that really.
They have been using "cost" for too long and it has "cost" them dearly. They breathed a huge sigh of relief when Holden reeled in their fleet discounts. BFII discounts will be reeled in also - if they are forced to use price again before run-out it will completely destroy itself in terms of residual values
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #71
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

So many people talk about marketing when at the end of the day the private buyer is nothing when it comes to the bigger picture.

It all comes down to fleet buyers and the following criteria.

1. Price
2. Fuel Economy and Service Costs
3. Resale Value.
4. Motor vehicle image - for those fleet buyers who use their cars as a marketing tool.

At the end of the day the Falcon does well in all 4 counts and will still hold a large percentage of the fleet market, asside from those fleet buyers who give their staff the choice, whether they be novated lease or whatever.

Holdens new pricing looks good on paper but theres no room to bargain at the moment, once you get one on the road they are very expensive compared to the Falcons bonus pricing.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #72
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

All the price reductions in the world will not stop the "mine is newer than yours" mentality.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #73
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know why people buy commodores over falcons. If anyone saw the great debate holden vs ford they would of witnessed holden winning 66 percent or something of the votes from the 'general public'. Simply because the holden debate included, "Australians own car", "Kangaroos, meat pies and holden cars". Holden have always been good at pushing the fact that HOLDEN=AUSTRALIA and FORD=AMERICAN ****. Ford definately need to get there **** into gear with advertising and start telling the public that we have more Aussie parts, aussie design etc then holden ever has/will.. We don't need to rebadge an omega to make cars. WAKE UP FORD, YOU ARE ****ING US OFF!
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #74
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
I know why people buy commodores over falcons. If anyone saw the great debate holden vs ford they would of witnessed holden winning 66 percent or something of the votes from the 'general public'. Simply because the holden debate included, "Australians own car", "Kangaroos, meat pies and holden cars". Holden have always been good at pushing the fact that HOLDEN=AUSTRALIA and FORD=AMERICAN ****. Ford definately need to get there **** into gear with advertising and start telling the public that we have more Aussie parts, aussie design etc then holden ever has/will.. We don't need to rebadge an omega to make cars. WAKE UP FORD, YOU ARE ****ING US OFF!
The guys and gals at General Motors Holden do truly believe they are dinky-di Australian. On their website they have a historical timeline in which they list all Holden's Australian 'firsts' like seatbelts, radial tyres etc. Only trouble some of these things actually appeared first on cars made in Australia by BMC Australia and Ford. I emailed them about this and got a reply from a PR lady who said that BMC was a British company and Ford was an American company so they didn't count. (Ignoring the fact that their Australian operations were companies registered in Australia.) I replied that General Motors Holden could be considered an American company by the same logic. I didn't get a response to that. They are obviously in some state of Orwellian double-think down there at Holden HQ.
The other Orwellian aspect that follows (or is it Goebbels) is that if you repeat a lie often enough everybody believes it. Come to think of it wasn't the Commodore a German Opel Omega until recently?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #75
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Ford need to seriously come up with some catch phrases like Holden has done successfully, then get it out there. They could do the Holden means a great deal to Korea thing but to take a swipe at the opposition is the first no no in the sales race. Holden having a go at ford in their ad with a quote from Paul Bend Gover stating the competition looks dated is a cheap tactic, and makes people resent Holden for that desperate measure alone. It's akin to that blimp and the saturation marketing of Holden being an over-inflated, fat advertiser full of hot air. People resent that blimp for good reason; we don't like having our view obscured by some ugly mobile billboard.

Mitsubishi have a good catchphrase in "better built, better backed" alluding to their 5 year warranty.
Toyota have that "oh what a feeling" that alludes to being an accountant with latent s&m tendancies.
Holden have that "australia's own car" - it works for them.
Ford have "????????????????????????" - nothing.
May seem gimicky but at the end of the day something needs to be memorable about ford. Presently, they are selling cars on the merits of the vehicle itself which is pretty impressive, but they need to do more to promote the following.

* Highest percentage of Australian parts
* Lowest cost of ownership compared to the competitors (NRMA figures here)
* Free roadside assistance to new vehicles
* Superior dynamics of the auto's
* Highest torque output and high power output
* Links to Jaguar for the control blade IRS
* FPV cars like F6 and what is possible with ford engines
* Full size spare
* Lower cost replacement tyres compared to Holden
* Self diagnostics which no competitor has resulting in lower servicing costs
* Promote the production techniques for perceived quality
* Superior fuel economy to the VE and camry - dispel the myth of large = guzzler.

These are just some ideas.
How about we help ford by coming up with a catch phrase?
"Ford, the first car maker"
"Ford, a thoroughbred like no other" - link to the Jaguar, aston, range rover, volvo heritage.
"Ford, the history, the pride and the passion"
"Safe like a volvo, handles like a jaguar, performance like an aston martin, priced only like a ford"

Just some ideas that would really push the brands excellent history, links to so many marquees, promoting that the control blade did actually come off an S type jag. Atleast this may get the public thinking before they buy a VE or Camry.

Quote: