Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #61
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

dont know why people can just question other people's motives! In 20-30 years if im a multi-multi millionaire I can tell u now that I wouldn't think twice about paying a few million for an EL GT or something rare! As people have said the simple explanation is that something is worth whatever another person is willing to pay for it! Only takes 2 parties that want an item bad enough (for whatever reason) that can take a price from $200,000 to over 1 million! I dont think there's many people on here with a spare million dollars so of course one would expect everyone to say "I wouldnt pay that much for one" In the end when u have money the price doesn't matter as long as u get it!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #62
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly why do people have a cry about what someone payed for something? - "oh i dont think there worth $2.50, i wouldnt pay that much"

As said many times its only worth what someones willing to pay for it...
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #63
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Visual Differences between GT and GTHO for respective models quickly off the top of my head:

1969 XW GTHO: 750 Holley Carb, alloy manifold, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO: hyd cam 351 cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar GTHO on glovebox.

1970 XWGTHO Phase 2: solid cam 351 Cleveland, 750 Holley carb, H engine code, and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear swaybar, 5 slot rims, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.

1971 GTHO Phase 3: solid cam 351 Cleveland, extractors, 780 Holley carb, 1/2" bakerlite spacer, H engine code and GTHO on compliance plate, front spoiler, rear spoiler, rear swaybar, Vacuum tank, brake proportioning valve, 6150 rev limiter, mechanical advance twin point dissy, blockoff plate on shaker, larger yellow altenator pulley, BOSS harmonic balancer, XA front Brakes, XA front stub axles, Wider finned rear drums, manual choke, GTHO on glovebox.
Looking at an XYGT beside a XYGT Phase 3 the main differences are the front and rear spoiler and the shaker sits a bit higher out the bonnet, the Globe wheels werent originally fitted to the cars (5 slots were), and front and rear spoilers werent avaliable factory fitted on STD XYGT's.

Of coarse most XYGT's now have spoilers, globes and glovebox stickers so you need to look at the plate to tell!!!

There's more internal differences but these are the main visual ones.
I have an article which says the 1969 XW GTHO had a 600 Holley. It has 600 fuel bowls on it in the pic. (I was very careful not to call it a Phase 1)
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I have an article which says the 1969 XW GTHO had a 600 Holley. It has 600 fuel bowls on it in the pic. (I was very careful not to call it a Phase 1)
Pretty sure you're right, im not as familiar with the first Windsor GTHO and i rushed typing it off the top of my head!

Old 17-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #65
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XW is my favourite GT. It came into the world in June 1969, same month as I did. My ultimate car would be an XW 428 big block GT with a shaker.........(yes, THAT one!)
Old 17-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #66
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the old GTHOs and all, but wow that's alot of money for one.

I personally wouldn't fork out that much money for a old car, even if it is rare as hen's teeth.

I guess it's only worth, what someone will pay for it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #67
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if someone pays $150 for a GXL fuel cap on E Bay is that what it's worth?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ford-gt-gs-xb...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 17-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #68
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
Seems rebook has some catching up to do. They've got the PH3 HO down at $195,000.
Redbook is largley based on the prices people record on their "Notice of disposal" slip they give to the RTA when they sell the car.

Putting seriousness aside here for a second - Imagine the stamp duty payable on a GTHO when transferring the ownership to your name! So listing $195K instead of $500K + would certainly save you some coin...not that people paying over $500K could probably give a toss about stamp duty though...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #69
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

The phase 3 also came out with 31 spline rear ends and toploaders only, no
automatics. They ran a locker centre.
The GT's ran 28 spline rear ends and came in manuals & autos obviously.
My mates xygt was HO optioned with the 31 spline rear end, locker diff etc.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #70
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=TRIK67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
can you list were these cars come from as i think you are doubling up on your stories and all the facts need to be known ?Which cars got $700 000 and the one for 420 000 had another car involved in that deal !!!! I know which car got the higher price but have been told in other stories that it got 700 000 so which cars are getting these prices or is it all speculation to pump the market up

The recent Phase 3 was sold by Bowden for just over $830,000 as i said.
The $700,000 one, im not sure who owned or bought it but was an ex racer.
The $420,000 one is in Frankston being restored as we speak with the owner
im told as Mark Lamb who owns 1 or 2 other phase 3's. If my infomation is
incorrect i apolagise but it was what i was told by a friend who has recently
spoken to Bowden himself.

the first car you talk about was the John French (Wild Violet ) XY the second one is the touted figure people were speculating i think you are talking about the same car.the one in frankston being restored is it the one Charlie Portelli is doing?????? i have spoken to the Bowdens a couple of times nice guys dont know about that Chris though :voldar02: :voldar02: :voldar02: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIK67
The phase 3 also came out with 31 spline rear ends and toploaders only, no
automatics. They ran a locker centre.
The GT's ran 28 spline rear ends and came in manuals & autos obviously.
My mates xygt was HO optioned with the 31 spline rear end, locker diff etc.
Phase 2 had 31 spline rears, phase 3 had a mix of 28 and 31, some had lockers, some had LSD's too.

Old 17-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #72
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TickfordBoy
In 20-30 years if im a multi-multi millionaire I can tell u now that I wouldn't think twice about paying a few million for an EL GT or something rare!
There was other stuff in your post, but frankly that one just leapt out at me..!!! Even as someone who's views on GTHOs are known to quite a few, I don't think the EL GTs are anything like as desirable as GTHOs, and they never will be.

What year were EL GTs - 1997/98? In 2020, they'll no doubt be worth more than a nice EL XR8, and rightly so. But will they be trading for the same amount of money you'd need to purchase a house? Outright? Don't think so.

But my hat shall be standing by in 15 years or so... just in case... ;)

PS - yes, I know anything is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay, but you'd need your head examined from the inside if a plastic GT hits such heady heights...

Last edited by Neeek; 17-11-2006 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added PS
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #73
BZINGA