Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
ler

Default do STEERING wheel locks work and can they damage the steering?

Are they a good deterrant?

Im concerned that the weight or if you put it on too tight it might damage the steering?

ler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Too tightly? You can have it on semi loose and still not be able to take it off. The only way i can see it hurting is if you decide to drive with it still on. Also the day my car got stolen was the only day i didnt have the steer lock on, so yeh id say its a good deterrent.
Old 15-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
J.O

Cut the steering wheel with a hack saw and slide it through.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you talking about a club lock or the self locking mechanism inside the steering column?
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

I use a Club lock in high risk areas. They are simply a deterrent. They wouldn't be hard to break off, but with there being a bit more of a hassle for the thief, they may not bother and go for a slightly easier target.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Visual deterrent. It isn't that hard to get off but won't hurt putting one on. If a thief has the choice between two similar cars and one has a steering lock he might go for the other one.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

They are a definant deterrant, and most thieves will move onto an easier target.
Untill I bought a reputable brand, I used to apply mine upside down. (the longer section that is supposed to butt against the windscreen, I placed it facing down) The cheaper versions are able to be bent ( I have seen this), whereas with the longer section down, there is less of a chance of getting levarage on it.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
ler

Ive suggested getting a wheel lock to some people I know. Anyone got tips to convince them of the benefits or just let them suffer. It's not like these people are short of time. You have to do all sorts of other checks lilke your park brake is on,etc. i dont see the big effort of putting on a wheel lock.

Last edited by ler; 15-05-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 15-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
sexr6tasy
Banned

Haha convince them of the benefits if they cant see the benefits already then they deserve to have there car stolen.
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
silicon

They can still steal it with it on but as stated above they may move onto an easier target. I have always thought if there is two similar cars in the car park they are after; yours might be still there with the steering lock.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #11
ler

The logic makes complete sense to me. Also Ive heard/read having an outrageous design works. Like why lock your doors someone will just break the lock anyway. I suppose having a rainbow coloured car thieves might not steal it because it will be noticed more.
Old 16-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Good until you loose the key in a shopping centre, good for the crim with a hacksaw.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently, they are harder to get off if you put them on with the lock facing the dash. Well they are cerntainly harder to unlock that way. But this information came from a criminal paid to do a story for A Current Affair, so who knows if it's true or not.

A side story: I have two sets of keys for my Ford and only one has the club lock key on them. Guess which set I took to the shops one night and guess who had to get a taxi home and back to get the right set, lol.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
ler

what's the reason for the cross shaped keys?
Old 16-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Apparently, they are harder to get off if you put them on with the lock facing the dash. .
that's the way I do it.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #16
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
what's the reason for the cross shaped keys?
so you can't force a normal key or screwdriver into the lock? My Club lock is years old and it has a cylindrical key with 3 craters in it.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Another good deterrent is a clutch lock for manual cars (a prop that's locked into place under the clutch pedal, makes it impossible to drive the car). Another one -for autos- is some kind of padlock with a looooong shackle that keeps the car in Park (when locked onto something else to stop the auto T-bar being able to be moved).
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #18
ler

just like that for lock facing the dash?

Also do you think it makes a difference which end the long end goes on ? I suppose the long end down would make it harder to sit there and and try to undo it or the long end up makes it more visible.
Old 20-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Doesnt make a difference which end goes where. In some cars however, you can jam the long end into the A pillar making it impossible to turn the wheel. Either way the long end goes, it will prevent the car from doing sharp turns if its kept on.

I believe having the lock facing the dash is the recommended method for cars with airbags. I think I read that in the "manual" for a club lock.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #20
sexr6tasy
Banned

In cars with airbags the idea is to put the club lock straight vertical on the top space above the airbag so as not to be infront of the airbag i assume incase it deploys but i put mine with the big end facing downwards and to the left as im assuming my ford is well made enough to not have the airbag go off for no reason :p
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post