Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default shell e10 ethanol beware!!

This morning I thought I would be environmentally friendly and use shell ethanol based fuel.Withing 5 minutes of driving the car backfired like chitty chitty bang bang.That subsided so I thought I would give it benefit of the doubt and drove all day with it.Once home I heard a whizzing sound from the rear.It turns out that my walbro pump may be damaged by this fuel.It sounds like the internals are being eaten up by a corrosive substance.This is all on the first day of using this fuel. My expensive pump sounds ready to die...

I have to say that I am not impressed with this crap.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

drain it out,
go and complain

it may be an issue with the fuel as i have used E10 in every petrol car i drive of late...
even my turbo!!!! :S
Old 26-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Been running it fine in all my cars

Sounds like your pump is on its way out or there was water in the fuel.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There is a leaflet (usually behind the counter) that has a list of cars that should not use E10.

The festiva is on that list. Wish I knew that before I pumped in a full tank of the stuff to "see how it would go" etc.

I stopped after every 50km and crammed as much premium as I could get in to thin it out.

Thats the main issue, it's corrosive on the pipes. If you have a non standard pump, perhaps you could save it by draining the tank, or if you have space, just thin it out with premium, I very much doubt that you could stuff things after the first use only?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps the WALBRO is not designed for ethanol blended fuel, might be nothing to do with the fuel or the car.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

we've used nothing but e10 for over a year now, never had a problem.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Aus gets E10 because its the level at which its deemed safe for most systems not designed for E fuel at all, cars can be set up to run e85 or more. Our cars arent setup for e fuel at all, its just E10 is a level they reckon it can cope with, thats what it boils down to when you cut through the PR. I dont bother with it for that reason. Some effects wont be felt for years as it takes time, its not sulphuric acid, others will be hidden by other variables and the effects just go unnoticed and blamed on other things.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Perhaps the WALBRO is not designed for ethanol blended fuel, might be nothing to do with the fuel or the car.
Mine has run E10 in the past with no problems whatsoever. Although the last tank I used (I try to avoid it) from United of their 98 made the XR run like rubbish.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

So what octane rating is E10? I just thought it was cheap dodgy crap that you only put in Korean cars.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

United servo's have 95-ron ehthanol fuel.my EF fairmont runs good on it as does the mrs 95 magna
Old 26-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
So what octane rating is E10? I just thought it was cheap dodgy crap that you only put in Korean cars.
95 at all the ones i've seen.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
95 at all the ones i've seen.
Supposedly theres 98 too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Ever since I ran 1 tank of United Boost 98 in my car it has pinged and knocked like hell when running anything over 10 psi. Putting new Iridium plugs in stopped the knock at anything around 8 psi, but it still knocks like hell on high boost when previously it was fine. Obviously I should have thought more about what I was doing when I filled up, but I feel that my fuel pump is probably on the way out too.
I will never run another car on anything with ethanol in it again, just not worth the risk if you have a modified car.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Ever since I ran 1 tank of United Boost 98 in my car it has pinged and knocked like hell when running anything over 10 psi. Putting new Iridium plugs in stopped the knock at anything around 8 psi, but it still knocks like hell on high boost when previously it was fine. Obviously I should have thought more about what I was doing when I filled up, but I feel that my fuel pump is probably on the way out too.
I will never run another car on anything with ethanol in it again, just not worth the risk if you have a modified car.
I thought United Boost 98 was standard premo 98 fuel ? e-10 is the ethanol brand.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
I thought United Boost 98 was standard premo 98 fuel ? e-10 is the ethanol brand.
Not according to the website .
I accept I should have checked that it was ok to run in my car, but that doesn't stop me from being pi$$ed off.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Not according to the website .
I accept I should have checked that it was ok to run in my car, but that doesn't stop me from being pi$$ed off.
yeah my mistake. i was just looking at their site myself to check before you posted again. and yes, i wouldn't put anything other than standard conventional fuel into a boosted or worked car.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Maybe they should add a bit of canola oil for pumps like mine to keep working well?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
There is a leaflet (usually behind the counter) that has a list of cars that should not use E10.
On the web:

http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2.../00000005.html
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

We plow 1400 Litres of United Plus 95 ULP through 2 ED Falcons a month without a single glich. Even use a tad less than the 91ron stuff.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #20
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Supposedly theres 98 too.
Yeah, United have 98 RON E10 fuel that costs about 3c more than standard unleaded (and their 95 RON E10 fuel is about 3c cheaper than standard unleaded)
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Just realised something??? Ok, the Festiva is on the list as 'do not use', however for Kia, it says anything post 1996 is ok???

So... seeing as the Festiva is built by Kia, wonder why there is this discrepancy?? you would think they share a lot of the mechanical components to save money?

Oh... and what's a "Holden Scurry"??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Oh... and what's a "Holden Scurry"??
Lasted little more than 18 months apparently

Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #23
fordAU

Guys, any windsor owners having ping issues with E10 fuels ?
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #24
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Lasted little more than 18 months apparently

Haha, another great name for a Van. Follows in the line up of Tacuma, Vannette, starwagon, Bongo, Urvan and Pregio.

They would probably have been better off calling it a Scurvy.

Also, Just out of curiosity, do they have the E10 in many joints over here in the West?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Guys, any windsor owners having ping issues with E10 fuels ?
That's one thing that Boost 98 hasn't caused on mine. I've never had a problem with it, apart from economy, before that last tank.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Haha, another great name for a Van. Follows in the line up of Tacuma, Vannette, starwagon, Bongo, Urvan and Pregio.

They would probably have been better off calling it a Scurvy.

Also, Just out of curiosity, do they have the E10 in many joints over here in the West?
Weren't they also the suzuki mighty boy? Didn't Hammond roll one of these on the top gear van challenge?

Quote: