Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Loud banging noise underneath car

God this is getting old... I've had the car on the road a week (I know i've been slack with the how-to guide for the IRS, busy with uni etc) and now this loud HORRID banging noise is coming from underneath the car.

I thought it might be the handbrake which hasn't been adjusted yet but even with the handbrake on its still there.

Pulled the wheels off and checked all the screws were still holding true which they were. Tyre pressure seems fine etc, the car drives fine (which weirds me out considering how awful the noise is) and it seems to happen more so when going downhill without much power going to the accelerator.

I know its a hard ask when no one can hear the sounds but its this intermittent banging sound, like gears arnt meshing properly or there isnt enough oil somewhere, any idea?

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

First up is to check the exhaust system, a broken mount can do exactly what you describe

The next thing to check is driveline/halfshaft fidelity. You had the wheel bearings apart lately ya? I suggest this as you have described an overrun situation down the hill and the backlash may be making the sound worse.

After that it might be time to back it on a dyno and have a look under while the car is running up.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

oh man grandpa_spec, the old ghia-saurus just isn't behaving itself is it.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its auto, check the back of the gear box and make sure the rear main seal hasnt gone, becuase if it has its the shaft witch is hitting the side of the extension housing causing the loud noise in side the housing and flapping around, did the same with with mine,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
The next thing to check is driveline/halfshaft fidelity. You had the wheel bearings apart lately ya? I suggest this as you have described an overrun situation down the hill and the backlash may be making the sound worse.

Daniel
I might take it to a mechanic as I have no clue how to check any of that, the exhaust seems solid as a rock, it barely moves. I've got a dyno place down the road but I don't know if they are any good.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 26-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like my problem aswell, mine does it only under load, ive removed my whole diff and had it sent away to be pulled apart, hoping to find something. If there is nothing wrong with the diff im gonna be spewing cause its gonna cost me a load of money.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well i've taken it to the mechanics who is going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, im seeing him tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the results will be good

I relayed all the info from on here to him and he seemed to agree that they could most likely the cause so once again, thanks guys! your knowledge astounds me.

I've got him to do a transmission service, fit the slotted rotors i've got (im lazy), adjust handbrake and obviously, find out what that awful knocking sound is.... shall get back to you all with the results!
Old 27-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Well i've taken it to the mechanics who is going to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, im seeing him tomorrow afternoon so hopefully the results will be good

I relayed all the info from on here to him and he seemed to agree that they could most likely the cause so once again, thanks guys! your knowledge astounds me.

I've got him to do a transmission service, fit the slotted rotors i've got (im lazy), adjust handbrake and obviously, find out what that awful knocking sound is.... shall get back to you all with the results!
Hope it works out okay, and relatively cheap also!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Ok well he's just phoned me... feeling like a bit of a fool :

I'd only tightened up one of the caliper bolts properly apparently and the other one had come loose and fallen off! So my caliper was hanging there knocking about against the rotor. I checked every other bloody bolt down there except the caliper ones that that would explain the noise.

While its up on the hoist i've got him to do a transmission service including new filter etc, put the rotors on, service the calipers i.e. graphite them up so they dont stick, and adjust the handbrake, so all up including labor for everything he's put it square at $400

Very relieved it wasn't the transmission that had gone I have to say!

Thanks for all your help again people
Old 27-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I was going to suggest Road Side Collectors, or possibly a neighbours cat.

Glad to hear that you've found the problem no worries.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Glad you got it all sorted.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well hopefully once tax is back i'll look into a set of rims and lower her a bit, as much as I love her its no fun cornering an ocean liner :(

Once again thanks for all the help guys!