Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Arrow Au111 Sr Forte Or Au1 Fairmont Ghia?

Evening guys,Im about to get rid of the missisus Magna in favour of one of these for her.She doesnt mind both.Was down this path a while ago but the two vehicles were sold before we got our act into gear.

Two totally different vehicles here with the Fairmont being the late inclusion.After looking at alot of AUs the price difference between yards is amazing.Some yards are pricing AUs at BA prices(XT)but it was obvious why.These BAs are noit going to go the distance unless really looked after,the AU seems to much more rugged.Ive always had a soft spot for the squashed pastie and after driving one so does the other half.We are having a second child early next year aswell and this has a bearing on vehicle choice for her,the Magnas are average at best with blindspots ect.

Here are the two cars,the one with no photo is roughly 5-10% behind the Forte in overall appearence.Either one is 8k on road and is at the lower end of the price range for their condition.

Thoughts ect very welcomed from you Gurus.thankyou.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...cs=5&silo=1011
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...=true&AdOnTop=

FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I'd go the AU 3, Sure the Forte has a lot less fruit and imo exterior wise looks bland compared to the Fairmont, but you get better brakes, better security system, and is just an all round better put together vehicle. Newer as well with 40 thousand less kms

Although the Series 1 is a V8 GHIA

Last edited by GS608; 16-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Im leaning towards the SR Forte aswell for the brakes and running costs.The otherhalf likes the luxuries though.Maybe if I hit her up with some electrical component faliures in the Fairmont and the price to fix it may sway her a little more.

What does a LPG tank test set one back these days?The SR has only 2years left before it needs looking at ect.
Old 16-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a S1 Fairmont and the only electrical problems I've had were relating to grounding and some general AU stuff that covers most models (like rear map lights, window switches) The LCD in the climate control can fade after a while.

Most problems were brake related but that disappeared with the slotted rotors and bendix pads.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

another vote here for the series 3. While the thought of IRS sounds great on the ghia, I hear they are a PITA to get to if you get shock mount problems. I say keep it simple and go for the S3 with the better brakes, lower NVH, and smartshield security etc. Add little body additions like chrome bonnet garnish and chrome mirror scalps etc if you want to make it look a little nicer on the outside. Plus Im biased towards the color

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Hmmm security,I do live near Gepps X.

The look of yours that I had that day Shav lets me know their is potential for the SR.The missus isnt one just to drive anycar and everyone shes had(since meeting me)will have some sought of "touch"given to it.The blue/grey interior is actually quite nice in the flesh.

I cant beleive I totally forgot about the IRS difference,when I put it in D youd think I would have realised.The IRS on these is way better than the BA's though correct?(bushes ect)

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 16-06-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: interior comment
Old 16-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I couldn't tell ya about the IRS bushes, because I've never done them before but from most reports from owner who have AU's with IRS they have had mount rattles they they have had to contend with. I will leave that part to the people who have had more experience with that.

As for potential, I guess it all comes down to how far you want to go mate. What makes it easier is that you have a great color car to start with in the SR. Not saying every other color is crap compared, but meteorite color is a harder to find color and to me, it is a very classy and modern color. The metallic fleck that comes out during sunny days is awesome.

By the looks of the pics of the SR too, you wouldnt need to do much more than what you have. perhaps some slightly lower suspension if you want handling but other wise, I'd go with some chrome mirror covers and bonnet garnish to brighten it up further. As a daily, it will come across to the average person as 'fairmont-ish' with just those things alone.

Engine wise I dont know if you would bother since its your mrs daily ride. But if you do an exhaust beware of the extractor/lpg mixer interference issue. Those Vialle converters are a big bugga to get around and it may not me worth mucking around with it if you intend on keeping the lpg. A cat-back will be more than ample for some audible quality and a little bit of low down throttle response.

Interior wise, front electric windows only isnt a bad thing either, it save the kids in the back mucking around with the window buttons all the time. lol

If I can help you out with anything else on the car mate, let me know.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the SR
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I don't mean to offend, but these cars just aren't worth what they are asking. I sold an AUII Fairmont Ghia for $5K last week, I almost couldn't sell it, and yet these cars have more kms.

For that sort of money, I'd go for a BA Fairmont, they get a bad rap but there are quite a few nice examples.

Otherwise, I'd try to get an AUIII Ghia for that money, like this:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8474950&__Qpb=true&Cr=4&__Ns=pCar_R ankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Ma ke_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=121 6%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294966463%2042949 66280%204294966272&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=1 &tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=25&__sid=129421C0B 99E
Old 16-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Im transferring all this while the otherhalf is cooking tea(bring the man some eggs).

As far as mods go Shav the usual suspects will be deployed,diff gears would be first.Would not rule out Liquid lpg when tank runs out aswell,this car will be a keeper(how many times have we said that)giving more room for our growing family.

Do the AUs show kms whilst key is out of ignition?
Old 16-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

yeah mine does. otherwise if you press the odometer button the kms should pop up on the display.

as for a keeper, thats what I said going back 2.5years ago too. And it looks like it will stay with me as I have put far too much cash in this car to warrant throwing it away, which is what Id basically have to do if I sold it. Best I would get is 8k if not less.

So this will be my family heirloom to pass down.

SVI injection I hear is great but expensive. Not sure if the rebate will apply to a car already fitted with LPG. But I hear you could be up for anywhere up to 4k to get it fitted as the old lpg system has to be chucked bar the tank to make way for the new unit. Graham West can do it on Marion Road in Ascot Park/Parkholme area.

Diff gears, Id recommend going an xr6 diff swap. swapping diff gears can have some whining in it if not fitted nicely. The diff swap did make a good difference too. Be sure to pick up the 'black' speedo cog if/when you do it to make the speedo read closer to correct.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 16-06-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 16-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Do the AUs show kms whilst key is out of ignition?
Orange odo's don't (AU1's), black & white odo's do (AUII+III)

oh and the answer is the AUIII without a doubt
excellent quality (possibly factory?) LPG install, clean interior, and a whole 4 years and 50klms less than the mont

the only problem is it's about $2000+ too much

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 16-06-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you have money to pay for a brake upgrade and LPG, I'd go the Ghia. MMMMMMMMM V8!

The SR looks okay too. Already on gas!

I paid about $500 last year for a gas tune, 10 year tank test (Wagon - so a bit more mucking around) and new fuel sender installed.

All the best with your choice.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

the only problem is it's about $2000+ too much
Cheers for odom answers.

Yeah their is plenty out their for 6k but they arent in nearly as good a condition as this.1owner,factory gas and no rust in any of the common areas.6mnths rego aswell as on roads.All panels lineup really well which Ive found is 50/50 on many AUs.

If its 2k to much going by Brissy prices then its spoton for Adelaide.We have lots of drugs but cars are dearer
Old 16-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
If you have money to pay for a brake upgrade and LPG, I'd go the Ghia. MMMMMMMMM V8!

The SR looks okay too. Already on gas!

I paid about $500 last year for a gas tune, 10 year tank test (Wagon - so a bit more mucking around) and new fuel sender installed.

All the best with your choice.

GK
Excellent,thats a pi$$ in the wind for a major check ect.

Does anyone see much resale difference down the track or is that "how long is a piece of string"oooop hangon this is a keeper
Old 16-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

lol. yeah its hard to keep that mind set.

The prices will always be more in sa, than anywhere else. But if you are penny pinching you could look interstate and drive one back.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

SR111 for me #2 son has one, totally unloved and uncared for had it since new 180000 ks on it now its had a fuel pump 1 set of brakes and a ball joint

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
SR111 for me #2 son has one, totally unloved and uncared for had it since new 180000 ks on it now its had a fuel pump 1 set of brakes and a ball joint
SR111,hmmm that might work as a numberplate,thanks Woosha.Our minds are getting close to made up,well mine is just a little more twisting of the elbow and shes their.
Old 16-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

PS Factory Gas is awesome
integrated in your normal fuel guage, so you get DTE on Gas too
it's teriffic
Old 16-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #20
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Even though it's not a fairmont, the series 3 is the better.

In all honesty, I think those cars are probably worth half of what they are advertising, and I'm not exaggerating. You could pick up a good AU 2 or AU 3 Falcon for around $3,000 at either Pickles Auctions or Mainheim Fowles Auctions.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have a series 1 fairmont, and so I'm biased towards the Fairmont, but I'd go the series 3 on LPG. Even though kms are highish, running on LPG it should be just about run in by now. Only thing to watch with either of those is the auto trans - get it thoroughly checked before purchase, and if you do but, I'd fit a by pass auto trans cooler.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

agree with JC. tranny cooler is a must.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO everything bad about the S1 doesn't really apply for the Fairmont Ghia (except brakes, but they are fine for your mrs!!)

Considering one is "V8 + IRS + top of the range" vs "I6 on gas + live axle + taxi model" i think it's a no brainer. There's only 30,000km between them.

But yes they are both overpriced.

And yes I'm slightly biased but I had the same choice 12 months ago and it's obvious which one i decided on.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #24
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'd go the SR purely because it's a Series 3. But seriously, those cars are WAY overpriced. For that sort of money you can easily get yourself in a BA Fairmont.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I'd go the SR purely because it's a Series 3. But seriously, those cars are WAY overpriced. For that sort of money you can easily get yourself in a BA Fairmont.
I appriciate your input but I dont want a BA and she definetely doesnt either,allready been discussed.BA XTs.Futuras/Monts are like plague proportion over here now,AUs are less common beleive it or not.I already have one and am very aware of the maintanence costs between the two models,not to mention reliability.8K for a BA Mont,I would not go near one in Adelaide if paid to do so.Unless you live in Adelaide and can actually look at the cars in person its just guess work.All cars on the net look mint in the photos but the reality is 80% of them arent within coowee of the "mint pics".All of the AUs for around 4-6K are busted bumholes with rust,miss alligned panels here and there,not tight,stink,been smoked in and the list goes on.Im happy to pay premium for a premium vehicle(condition/quality).Its the kind of condition that most wish theirs was in and the coin spent getting a cheapy to come up to par is going to cost the same in the end with more down time.

8K for a AU111 SR with no rust,1owner,on road,6months rego and warranty(I will use it trust me)is not that WAY overpriced over here.
Old 18-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

gilmore - that was my reasoning also when I was looking for my car initially. Many of my friends and colleagues did not understand why I paid what I paid for my car and still don't but unless you look at each example up close as you say, most of them are 'talked up' just get the sale.

To find a mint condition AU for less than 6k with stuff all km that hasnt been molested, thrashed, slept in, smoked in, spewed on or crashed is few and far between, and if you do find one, you would only be one of a handful in Australia to have done it.

Im not saying that the S3 you found is exactly that, but from what you have described, its seems to be a decent example, although not perfect, but still decent enough for you to consider it.

I do say though, if you are happy with it and have looked at your other options with an unbiased opinion then go for it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #27
Jimmyd
Banned

More reasonable pricing for 201k V8 AU1 Fairmont Ghia - also nets you the full leather and Tickford option 17" wheel/sports suspension package

$5.5k for S1 Ghia with fruit

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
More reasonable pricing for 201k V8 AU1 Fairmont Ghia - also nets you the full leather and Tickford option 17" wheel/sports suspension package

$5.5k for S1 Ghia with fruit

Cheers

James
Love this bit:
"I love this car and don't want to see it go, its almost impossible to get a motorbike into the back of it! thats where the new ute comes in"

LOL!

Rack is around $600 fitted, diff - it's IRS so won't be cheap, but if you get it for under $5k, for around $6500 (after repairs), you'd get a decent car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Love this bit:
"I love this car and don't want to see it go, its almost impossible to get a motorbike into the back of it! thats where the new ute comes in"

LOL!

Rack is around $600 fitted, diff - it's IRS so won't be cheap, but if you get it for under $5k, for around $6500 (after repairs), you'd get a decent car.
You would just get a 2nd hand XR diff as the V8 Ghia diffs are only 3.23 ratio.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #30
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question

Well I have prepared myself with the biggest and badest flamesuit possible,the missus found a VX S pack Supercharged V6 for a very good price,$8000.Shes insured for $11000.Now to look for some chev badges

Im a non biassed car buff so its all good,drives very nice actually and is quicker to 80 than my stock XR6T.