Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default NSW Driver Training Manual Updated

The primary New South Wales driver training manual, The "Road Users' Handbook" has just been updated and is now ready on the Net today for download, or may for purchased from Registries at $10.

This November/December 2005 edition replaces the July 2005 edition owing a number of legislated changes now in effect.

I've had the web versions page 83 UN/ECE triangle picture text modified to include the term 'crashes' and page 105's 'Safety Tip' on the matter also upgraded.

The entire publication, 2.98MB in Pdf:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...uh_english.pdf

VIC ROADS are continuiing to work on their version, a release sometime mid year I understand, QLD ditto.

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 09-01-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

what about forcing driving training rather than just talking about it or writing about it. All the experts agree that more driving training is required - and formal training at that.

Or at least in my opinion make the tests harder so it requires a higher level of competancy vs at the moment.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Or at least in my opinion make the tests harder so it requires a higher level of competancy vs at the moment.
well i recently did the DQT (driver qualification test) to go from CP2 to full licence. long story short it was p**s easy. the hardest thing was handing over almost $130.

so if i was born a year earlier i would have only had to get my l's then p's then wait for my blacks. now its basically the same except you pay about $90 for your CP2s then another $130 for the blacks. yourve got about 99% chance of passing these tests.

they should have a more thourough CP1 (red ps) test. kids sitting in front of a computer proves f**k all. they have to be out on the road with an instructor. then on a closed track to learn about how a car reacts under different conditions.

but then the rta would have to pay someone instead of just turning on a pc.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Aimez - Agreed, is costly though RTA tell me of failures at even that test. Reminds me of why they suggest ever so politely that I should try and dumb some submitted texts down a bit.

Parents must take the driver/road-user training matter seriously and make effort at sourcing the books etc. Some insurance companies offer discounts to those who have completed driver courses.....

Parawolf - You might recall references on my part elsewhere to the 3-year trial being held in NSW and VIC from this year which will form the basis of the eventual National Driver Training Scheme.

Basically, the first lot of pupils will be sought from NSW and VIC early this year. The course will run three years and 'results' will be studied at the end of it. Coarse changes can be made during or at its end.

The program is intended to weed-out crazies and young-immature type characters who might (or do) behave in the known 'anti-social' fashion.

These candidates will not be left behind but will be helped through various intervention strategies. The program is EU sourced (Sweden) and is being implemented by our domestic people with direct Swede expert input.

Now, December 15 2004 saw both Anderson and Loyd wanting practical, on-road training to be included in the program. Anderson wanted skid control and braking to be taught amongst other detail. I'll check up on this aspect shortly, but we should understand the program is primarily 'defensive' driving in outlook, rather than 'advanced' - which will remain an option for those who need or desire such training. The National program will teach 'scanning' and the usual host of items we discuss here.

The program involves 'facilitators', and professional driving instructors will need to be Accredited in the program.

It is Australia's first serious attempt at driver training, but at this point I can see no plan as yet to target existing license holders, here, all we can do is suggest defensive courses and offer the latest driver manuals. Implementation costs and politics comes into play...

The National Driver Training Scheme has an inherent need to be 'implementable/workable' throughout Australia on a uniform basis, so that teenager A from Bourke NSW, has the same teaching as teenager B from Randwick NSW or Essendon VIC.

You will note NSW's existing graduated licensing system has been adopted by SA. Now QLD and VIC study it too, I would advise each jurisdictions authority and parliament to readily adopt the NSW system - although I'd like them to charge less for each stage of it!!!

The NSW licensing system as it stands is most functional/workable with the National Scheme.

We'll need to keep a close eye on this over the next three years.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Aimez - Agreed, is costly though RTA tell me of failures at even that test. Reminds me of why they suggest ever so politely that I should try and dumb some submitted texts down a bit.

Parents must take the driver/road-user training matter seriously and make effort at sourcing the books etc. Some insurance companies offer discounts to those who have completed driver courses.....

Parawolf - You might recall references on my part elsewhere to the 3-year trial being held in NSW and VIC from this year which will form the basis of the eventual National Driver Training Scheme.

Basically, the first lot of pupils will be sought from NSW and VIC early this year. The course will run three years and 'results' will be studied at the end of it. Coarse changes can be made during or at its end.

The program is intended to weed-out crazies and young-immature type characters who might (or do) behave in the known 'anti-social' fashion.

These candidates will not be left behind but will be helped through various intervention strategies. estic people with direct Swede expert inpuThe program is EU sourced (Sweden) and is being implemented by our domt.

Now, December 15 2004 saw both Anderson and Loyd wanting practical, on-road training to be included in the program. Anderson wanted skid control and braking to be taught amongst other detail. I'll check up on this aspect shortly, but we should understand the program is primarily 'defensive' driving in outlook, rather than 'advanced' - which will remain an option for those who need or desire such training. The National program will teach 'scanning' and the usual host of items we discuss here.

The program involves 'facilitators', and professional driving instructors will need to be Accredited in the program.

It is Australia's first serious attempt at driver training, but at this point I can see no plan as yet to target existing license holders, here, all we can do is suggest defensive courses and offer the latest driver manuals. Implementation costs and politics comes into play...

The National Driver Training Scheme has an inherent need to be 'implementable/workable' throughout Australia on a uniform basis, so that teenager A from Bourke NSW, has the same teaching as teenager B from Randwick NSW or Essendon VIC.

You will note NSW's existing graduated licensing system has been adopted by SA. Now QLD and VIC study it too, I would advise each jurisdictions authority and parliament to readily adopt the NSW system - although I'd like them to charge less for each stage of it!!!

The NSW licensing system as it stands is most functional/workable with the National Scheme.

We'll need to keep a close eye on this over the next three years.
Amazing how they implement all these things from overseas. I remember a few years ago the NSW government had some expert from (Germany I think) that turned around and suggested that the speed limit of 60k's in built up areas was too fast. So where are we now 50k's. Now don't get me wrong here, I think that is a fairly justifiable speed on local roads.BUT this same expert said that the speed limits on our freeways was too slow and should be increased. Surprise, that never happened.He even went further and suggested speeds of 120-130k/h.But the wowsers put an end to that cause I don't think they drive more than 100k's distance at any one time so they wouldn't have a clue. Just my opinion anyway.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post