Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default A few hundred bucks very well spent! (New K&N, XR6T intake and oxy sensor)

Hi All,

I've had all these parts in for a good few weeks now, so thought it was about time to post some results for those of you interested, especially given how sceptical I was!

Chasing what I perceived to be a fuel consumption issue in the AU, I purchased a new K&N panel filter ($120), a BA XR6T intake snorkel ($35 new from Ford) and a new bosch oxygen sensor ($70).

I changed all the parts seperately in order to actually see which item made the biggest difference.

First was the air snorkel, took about 1 minute to fit and is a fair bit bigger than standard. I was very sceptical about this, but surprisingly it did make a difference to general throttle response, and feels a tad less restrained at the top of the rev range. Nothing major, but I was expecting nothing, so that was good! Fuel consumption came down by a little bit, maybe 10 odd kays per tank.

Next was the air filter, after a few hassles (ended up I was sent the wrong filter!) it took about 2 minutes to fit. Again, I wasn't expecting anything from this change, I was more doing it as I needed a new filter anyway, but again to my surprise this did make a small difference to throttle response and power! Again nothing major, but hey there was a difference! Fuel consumption came down a bit again, maybe 10 kays per tank.

Last was the oxygen sensor, and again being the sceptic I am I was expecting nothing from this. Well, this change proved to have the biggest affect of all! Took maybe 5 minutes if that to change and general drivability and response has increased HUGELY. Plus, we are getting an extra 100 kays per tank!! Changing the sensor had the biggest effect of all the changes and was most definitely worth while.

We've gone from having our AU struggling to get 350-380 kays out of a full tank (something like 17 litres per 100) down to a consistent 500 plus kays per tank (12 litres per 100 or better!) all in stop start driving.

The change to the way the car drives is amazing, I never realised there was a problem before, was already one of the cruisiest and effortless cars to drive that I've every owned, but now it's MUCH better!

Even my wife, who normally doesn't notice anything with cars said to me that the car is much more responsive to drive!

Obviously our oxygen sensor was stuffed for a new one to have made such a big difference, but I can't reccomend changing it enough!

Next for the old girl is a tranny cooler, then a redback exhaust and later some extractors!
That's if I can stop spending on my other car, which is only meant to be a temporary run around, but I can't seem to stop myself modding it!

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I should also add that if someone who is as hmmmm, physically uncoordinated and lacking in common sense as myself can easily change these parts, then anyone can, they really are that easy!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Richo86
Starter Motor

Top stuff mate - glad to hear that.

Just a couple of questions though (also just for everyone in general) if ya don't mind

I very recently just bought a Tickford T-Series Air Intake - any idea of how much bigger/smaller the BA XR6T one is?
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-F...QQcmdZViewItem
I paid upwards of $100 for mine on eBay (I really wanted the coloured Tickford logo on it :P) Does yours have a Tickford logo above the mouth? If so, I'm getting a full refund for mine!

I've heard nothing but good things about K&N Air Filters, but I'm skeptical as to HOW they could make such a difference from a normal air filter. I've also read somewhere that K&N Panel Filters can improve the SOUND of a car (same with pod filters) - is anyone able to provide evidence/feedback on this? I'm planning on going to Repco in the next few days, so I was gonna ask about them there and probably buy one. But if I can get some feedback on them before that, I'd much appreciate it.

Also, was your original oxygen sensor just the generic Ford/AU one?

Thanks mate.
Richo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

basically , the k&n filters usually have a larger cfm capability than the stock filters , larger holes in the filter / some may say this reduces the filtration , but the oil is placed on the filter to help catch dust and make up for the lack of filtration , without reducing the cfm rate .

As far as large tickford snorkels , you can easilly put 1 or 2 extra holes into the airbox and run extra cai tubing from around the pods in the front spoiler or inside the front wheel arches , or from behind the grill .

Ill just add too , from what i found anyway , withuout and edit and good extractors etc to allow a full flowing intake ...

Imo there seems to be a limit when you get the intake level and coldness to a certian level that when the intake is too cold and too full-on ( without an edit etc ) that the car runs really well (plenty of power), but also takes alot longer to warm up , thus in the end using a hell of a lot more fuel while running rich. It was a wall i hit anyways without the appropriate exhaust setup. You'll probably find now anyway tha you have better throttle response that you will boot it more un-noticably more anyway and end up using more fuel ... hehehe ;) , good to hear you got some good results , cheers .

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 08-09-2006 at 11:42 PM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O2 sensors start to deteriorate the day they are installed. changing them every few years does not hurt,., and for 70 bucks its a cheap worthwhile investment

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo86

Just a couple of questions though (also just for everyone in general) if ya don't mind

I very recently just bought a Tickford T-Series Air Intake - any idea of how much bigger/smaller the BA XR6T one is?
I paid upwards of $100 for mine on eBay (I really wanted the coloured Tickford logo on it :P) Does yours have a Tickford logo above the mouth? If so, I'm getting a full refund for mine!

I've heard nothing but good things about K&N Air Filters, but I'm skeptical as to HOW they could make such a difference from a normal air filter. I've also read somewhere that K&N Panel Filters can improve the SOUND of a car (same with pod filters) - is anyone able to provide evidence/feedback on this? I'm planning on going to Repco in the next few days, so I was gonna ask about them there and probably buy one. But if I can get some feedback on them before that, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks mate.
The BA XR6T ones are exactly the same as the Tickford ones, just minus the wings. I hope you like your $65 wings!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I should also add that if someone who is as hmmmm, physically uncoordinated and lacking in common sense as myself can easily change these parts, then anyone can, they really are that easy!
Well Private9, im sure your still more cleuy than me!!!

Where did you buy this Oxygen sensor from ? How much was it ? are there different models for the different series of AU's ???

What is an oxygen senson ? Where is it located? And what is involved in chnage one over ???

Any pics would be awesome please...

(sorry for all the questions but i really am hopeless : )
Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAU1
Well Private9, im sure your still more cleuy than me!!!

Where did you buy this Oxygen sensor from ? How much was it ? are there different models for the different series of AU's ???

What is an oxygen senson ? Where is it located? And what is involved in chnage one over ???

Any pics would be awesome please...

(sorry for all the questions but i really am hopeless : )
I bought the sensor off ebay from EFI Parts, was about $70 plus a few bucks in postage.

I'll try to get a pic a bit later today, but basically it's on the exhaust manifold, right near the back of the engine bay. It's simply sticking out, and looks a bit like a spark plug with wires coming off the back!

Changeover was simply unplug the wiring off the old sensor, get a spanner and loosen the old one off, and then get the new one, apply the anti lock powder to the thread (it comes with this) and then tighten it in with the spanner and plug it back in. Was really easy and if I can do it anyone can!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo86

Thanks mate.
As JC said, XR6T one is the same, just minus the logo. The original oxygen sensor was still on the car so yeah, just the generic ford one.

Re the filter, I don't really have any evidence of the improvement other than the feel through the seat of my pants! The sound is slightly different but I wouldn't really say it's an improvement or otherwise, just slightly more induction noise.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I did a test with the k&n well it wasnt really a test. I put a k&n in my mates au and we went for a drive and asked him if he felt any difference but nothing. So a week later on the next weekend I took it out and put his normal filter back in told him I had put a k&n in and got all sorts of responses about how much better it was revving. Not trying to start the 'K&N is no good war' just thought you might be interested. I did the same test on my parents but when I got extractors, however they noticed the difference with them.

I have a k&n and I think they are great over the old filters, also the tickford item looks better but didn't notice much of a difference. If anyone wants to buy a k&n+tickford intake I don't need mine anymore and the filter has only done about 4,000km, only removing due to turbo.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Last was the oxygen sensor, and again being the sceptic I am I was expecting nothing from this. Well, this change proved to have the biggest affect of all! Took maybe 5 minutes if that to change and general drivability and response has increased HUGELY. Plus, we are getting an extra 100 kays per tank!! Changing the sensor had the biggest effect of all the changes and was most definitely worth while.
Can definetely vouch for this. Changed mine recently and gained 40-50Ks per tank in urban driving.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and the stupid thing about the O2 sensor is that it cannot be tested like other sensors... it is just a replacement part

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
I did a test with the k&n well it wasnt really a test. I put a k&n in my mates au and we went for a drive and asked him if he felt any difference but nothing. So a week later on the next weekend I took it out and put his normal filter back in told him I had put a k&n in and got all sorts of responses about how much better it was revving. Not trying to start the 'K&N is no good war' just thought you might be interested. I did the same test on my parents but when I got extractors, however they noticed the difference with them.

I have a k&n and I think they are great over the old filters, also the tickford item looks better but didn't notice much of a difference. If anyone wants to buy a k&n+tickford intake I don't need mine anymore and the filter has only done about 4,000km, only removing due to turbo.
how much you want?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
JoesAu

hey i get about 350 - 380 a tank as well should i change mine?? i thought my fuel usage is high cos of the exhaust and air intake, maybe not then.....
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

what sort of driving do you do, and do you fang your car everywhere or drive like a granny?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
JoesAu

Some time highway kays, mostly regional driving, ive only hit the rev limiter once since ive had the car, never really rev it past 3500-4000 max, even one time i didnt rev the car once on purpose like not higher than 2500 revs just to see how much i could in a tank and still only got like 400 if that. its bull ****,
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

yeah ok, maybe get a new ox. sensor.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
JoesAu

its using to much fuel it has to be. I havent changed the ignition leads for years 3-4 years, i changed sparkies
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #19
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Might be time to replace my O2 sensor then for $70 worth a try after all it is 5 years old now!

10km diff per tank though for the other mods is not really enough to say it did anything as the variation between fills would ahve to be more than plus or minus 10k just from the random differences in driving style traffic etc.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #20
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Might be time to replace my O2 sensor then for $70 worth a try after all it is 5 years old now!
Yeah, me too. Would be nice to reduce fuel consumption a little ;)

Private9, was it a genuine Bosch sensor they supplied for $70-odd?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Yeah, me too. Would be nice to reduce fuel consumption a little ;)

Private9, was it a genuine Bosch sensor they supplied for $70-odd?
This was the one he bought i think

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 09-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #22
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yeah, I saw the ad but it mentions nothing about being a Bosch sensor (except for the pic).

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Good on you Private9.

Might change my Sensor now. So far in the search for slightly better economy Ive changed:
Plugs to NGK Irridiums
Leads to Top Gun 8.8mm Max 300
Filter to K&N
Intake to Tickford.

So far has made 3/4 of F***all difference.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #24
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Good on you Private9.

Might change my Sensor now. So far in the search for slightly better economy Ive changed:
Plugs to NGK Irridiums
Filter to K&N
Intake to Tickford.

Did you find ANY difference with the new leads / Plugs ??
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

10km diff per tank though for the other mods is not really enough to say it did anything as the variation between fills would ahve to be more than plus or minus 10k just from the random differences in driving style traffic etc.
Yeah, totally agree there, very hard to be sure on the 10k difference per tank, it was more just to say that over quite a few tanks, there was a consistent slight increase in kays travelled.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Yep that's the one I got!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #27
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Good on you Private9.

Plugs to NGK Irridiums
Filter to K&N
Intake to Tickford.

Thanks Smoked!

Although you've had no real difference to economy, at least your car probably goes a bit better and you don't have to change plugs and leads for a while!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #28
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Thanks Smoked!

Although you've had no real difference to economy, at least your car probably goes a bit better and you don't have to change plugs and leads for a while!
Only time will tell. Im hoping LPG isnt as hard on these leads and plugs as it is normally.
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 09-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #29
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Did you find ANY difference with the new leads / Plugs ??
Smoother, slight throttle improvement. Fuel consumption had little to no effect, but I drive the car hardish, so i dont expect it to be thrilling anyway.
Quote:
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #30
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks Smoked!

Any pics yet ?