Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Hitman
Way over here

Default Narrow mindedness

I have noticed lately that there seems to be alot of narrow minded people about with regards to car makes, personally I like ALL nice cars regardless of brand. I initially liked Fords, and Ford only but could still appreciate other nice cars, but now that I'm getting older I can't be bothered, I now drive a Holden after having a string of Fords, and I'm happy with my choice. My next car will probably be a Ford again, but it's not set in concrete.
I just can't undertand or get my head around people that will bag the *** out of a car simply because of which badge it has.
Take for example the new VE, how many people are bagging it because it's a Holden, and how many people bag it because it's not a Ford, and if it was a Ford would it then be a good car, regardless of wether it was a good car or not?

Thoughts?

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I have noticed lately that there seems to be alot of narrow minded people about with regards to car makes, personally I like ALL nice cars regardless of brand. I initially liked Fords, and Ford only but could still appreciate other nice cars, but now that I'm getting older I can't be bothered, I now drive a Holden after having a string of Fords, and I'm happy with my choice. My next car will probably be a Ford again, but it's not set in concrete.
I just can't undertand or get my head around people that will bag the *** out of a car simply because of which badge it has.
Take for example the new VE, how many people are bagging it because it's a Holden, and how many people bag it because it's not a Ford, and if it was a Ford would it then be a good car, regardless of wether it was a good car or not?

Thoughts?
You do realise you're on Ford Forums dont you?

Old 21-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Hitman
Way over here

Yes I'm well aware I'm on a FORD forum, because I can appreciate nice cars, wether it Ford, Holden, Toyota or any other make.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only just noticed. This has been going on for as long as I can remember.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As someone who likes all brands I see what you are saying but it is not just this site - go on any car forum and there are people like that...

Personally I disliked the VT-VZ Commondore, not because of the badge but because I personally saw it as a fairly poorly engineerined and dodgy quality car. I believe the VE has addressed a lot of the "poorly engineered" part, but has still proved to have poor quality in my eyes. Though that is indeed an issue that both Commodore and Falcon need to address...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
pb02
inconceivable!

There are two things that I hate in this world.

1. People who don't appreciate all makes and models of cars,
2. And Holden drivers!!!!

:
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as quality goes there are two types of cars: 1. Holdens and Fords and 2. Others.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same. I buy a car on what I think suits me, not because I'm loyal to one brand. Owned a Ford, now own a Subaru. I have always liked Holden since way back but haven't even owned one at all.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I think its a shame that so many comments which are made in jest... are taken so seriously.

i.e. "Typical Holden driver"

It's a joke people. Having a lend at the opposing team's expense.

Dont take yourselves so seriously!!!
Old 21-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
weenie

im hearin ya. i used to be a ford nut through & through. now i am a nice car nut. i looked at what i wanted to do & what i needed & ford didnt have a vehicle to suit & still doesnt. matter of fact neither does holden/hsv anymore. not to say they dont both have nice cars. i love driving my bros xr8 ute for its very short sledgehammer power delivery top end & awesome exhaust note. but i love my current car for its instant flat wide torque curve, & overtaking manouvers with loaded trailer & massive awd grip, excellent braking & off the line acceleration as well as decent eccononmy.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I think its a shame that so many comments which are made in jest... are taken so seriously.

i.e. "Typical Holden driver"

It's a joke people. Having a lend at the opposing team's expense.

Dont take yourselves so seriously!!!
Agree, while there are extremes in some cases there seems to be a general acceptance and admiration between most users for quality from other brands.
That said you'd have to expect and accept there's going to be a certain amount of Ford bias (and negativity to other brands) on a Ford forum....

Old 21-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

I like Fords and Mopars, Mopars first but have respect for other cars.
They all paved the way for today's cars and today's cars are paving the way for tomorrows.

My 0.02c
Old 21-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
robs_ls1

In the past, I have bought Jap hatchbacks, etc, but always feel at home in a RWD Aussie sedan. My decision generally comes down to $$ and which dealer is more willing to 'bend' when it comes to price. I used to be one-eyed, but as you get older your priorities change and stupid arguments about car brands pale into insignificance.

Feature for feature, Ford & Holden sedans are generally the same. Same goes reliability-wise. You can get lemons in both camps, but you take that risk when buying ANY car.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Hitman
Way over here

I understand that it's a Ford forum, I'm talking about the people that say "If it's not a Ford, it's crap' and people that say things like, 'I'd rather drive my EA GL CFI than a new VE GTS'
Old 21-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Just a bit of ribbing mate, nothing more nothing less......
Old 21-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I think there are far too many over-sensitive skirt wearers that take them themselves far too seriously and believe everyone else should do the same... thats what I think.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

It's a sport. V8 Supercars is just like football cricket etc. You don't barrack for Essendon get out of my house stuff, and its the same with the riverly between Ford, Holden, other cars etc. Your never going to stop it, and thats the sad truth, its also the sad truth that Ford is the BEST!
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #18
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
I think there are far too many over-sensitive skirt wearers that take them themselves far too seriously and believe everyone else should do the same... thats what I think.
So I'm an 'over-sensitive skirt wearer' because I like other models of cars and not just Fords?
Old 21-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.Tuddy
It's a sport. V8 Supercars is just like football cricket etc. You don't barrack for Essendon get out of my house stuff, and its the same with the riverly between Ford, Holden, other cars etc. Your never going to stop it, and thats the sad truth, its also the sad truth that Ford is the BEST!
I'm not trying to stop it, I'm asking for opinions.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
So I'm an 'over-sensitive skirt wearer' because I like other models of cars and not just Fords?
no, but youre about the millionth person to post this thread.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
no, but youre about the millionth person to post this thread.
Yes, but if he is wearing a skirt it makes him unique! :yeees:
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
I dont see where I directed that at you at all... the fact you took such offence to it just proves the point I was making.
I am amused at people that wake up in the morning, grab the soap box from under the bed, stand on it triumphantly and demand that everybody should listen to what they have to say.

So you dont like others opinions? Big deal, take off the skirt, grow some hair on your balls and in the immortal words of Chopper "harden the ****** up".

The sky is blue, paying taxes sucks, work is crap, petrol is expensive and some people are over-passionate about whatever brand of car they choose to drive....... get over yourself.
Old 21-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Well, for me? I have seen both Sides of the fence...have driven both in V6/I6-V8 forms...for quality, use of Australian Industry and the Fun factor, Its Ford for me...Just because Holden finally release a car that Can be somewhat respected for its so called massive jump in quality etc and brings itself up to the Falcon's standard means Ford had a world class car for the last 4 years and Holden are just getting on the boat. As for looks? Dont get me started.

I have a general rule, I call it the GM Equation.

Marketing > Car = Holden.

As for Ford

Marketing < Car = Ford.

And Infamous example of Holden doing a "rough enough good enough" job and then giving it better marketing than the car is the Adventura.

Last edited by Bucket; 21-02-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #24
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
I dont see where I directed that at you at all... the fact you took such offence to it just proves the point I was making.
I am amused at people that wake up in the morning, grab the soap box from under the bed, stand on it triumphantly and demand that everybody should listen to what they have to say.

So you dont like others opinions? Big deal, take off the skirt, grow some hair on your balls and in the immortal words of Chopper "harden the ****** up".

The sky is blue, paying taxes sucks, work is crap, petrol is expensive and some people are over-passionate about whatever brand of car they choose to drive....... get over yourself.
Well when you post ONE liners it makes it very difficult to decipher who it is/was directed at, and you're wrong, I didn't take offence to it, that's why I put a question mark after it.
As for the soap box thing, where did I demand that everybody listens to me? I merely asked for peoples thought on the matter and for feedback, not to be ridiculed (like you have above) because I happen to like other brands aswell.

It seems that alot many people can't see past a badge, I'm not saying that's wrong, I just don't believe in it myself.
Old 21-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #25
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

And where did I criticise you for liking other cars??
Old 21-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

You're all good Hitman. I don't see it as skirt wearing....I applaud those who speak their mind and ask the questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Mostly it's just ribbing but like Islam, you get the radical few. ;)
Old 21-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #27
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Ok, my comment was not ridiculing anyones choice to like other cars...... more so the need to start a thread over the fact you dont like other peoples opinions.

A simple "pull your head in" to the appropriate person should suffice.

This is not the first thread that has been started regarding this topic and sadly it wont be the last.
Old 21-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #28
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

In saying that though,

Holdens are gay and so are those who like them. lol
Old 21-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
In saying that though,

Holdens are gay and so are those who like them. lol
:
Old 21-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #30
Hitman
Way over here

Quote:
Ok, my comment was not ridiculing anyones choice to like other cars...... more so the need to start a thread over the fact you dont like other peoples opinions.

A simple "pull your head in" to the appropriate person should suffice.

This is not the first thread that has been started regarding this topic and sadly it wont be the last.
Show me _where_ I said I don't like other peoples opinions?

I've said I don't agree with other peoples opinions, but I haven't said I don't like them.
You are free to like/dislike whatever you like, it's no skin off of my nose.

Also, I have tried searching for similar threads but with no luck, so could the people that are saying it's already been done to death please point me in the right direction.