Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Arrow Price For An EF XR6?

Hey guys

Looking at getting an EF XR6. Hopefully manual as i am not a auto fan. How much do you guys think is alright to pay for one. What kind of KM`s should i be looking for?

I drove an auto one the other day. Had over spray all over it looked like it was from a can. Dark Blue. Auto 267,000kms the guy at the car yard said there country km`s but any dealer will say that. Anyway it was dam quick. But for that many km`s and krap paint he wanted 9k.

Cars are alot more expensive in W.A remember. I was looking at a XD-XE 351 manual on duel fuel. For a good one over east you can find them for 4-5k even 3k. Here for a krap one with rust your looking at 6-7 some guys even want 8-9.

So whats a good price to pay?

Cheers, Glenn

Old 06-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

ok, firstly as we know prices vary. You will pay more at a dealer than private. Let's see an EF XR6 in manual I wouldn't pay more than $8000 for a TOP condition, good ks model. By good ks I mean well below 200k. Anything over 200k would drop the price substantially. I wouldn't pay more than 5k for one with 267ks on it. That dealer is dreaming if he thinks he's gonna get 9 grand with that many ks. Be patient, look around. Also search interstate as well. I'm sure a forum member would check the car out for you. I would, and I live in Adelaide.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I've seen a EF XR down the road for sale, He's asking $5500.

Not sure if its a 6 or 8... I havnt stopped to look at it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Trevnutz

Yeah be patient aye. I have seen au xr8's for $9500 with that many kays as the el you looked at
Trevnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here I know that the EF XR6's are still getting around the 7 to 8grand if they are in good condition (irrelevant of klms). The 8s are probably the same (but haven't taken much notice).
The EL XRs are fetching a grand or so more.

AU XRs are up around the 13 to 17 grand.

It is going to depend what you are prepared to pay for it to what it is worth. I am sure you could keep looking around and find one fairly cheap but what are the problems you are going to find with it is another matter (it is going to be cheap for a reason).

Those that say they wouldn't pay the 8 grand are those that don't really want one. I would gladly pay that for another one. But in saying all that, of course that is just my own opinion. I am sure there will be knockers floating through here soon enough :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au...p?key=FORD96BE
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It may be cheaper for you to buy in say Vic or NSW. Just get the local motor authority (NRMA in NSW and RACV in Vic) to go over it and get it shipped over. I think a full inspection for non members of the RACV is about $250.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3k? are you serious? Stat Written off ef xr6's sell for that and more. Even 5k i reckon you're only going to find one thats half rooted with a zillion km. Like anything, if you want one with any good bits on it, with good paint in good mechanical order prepare to pay 7 - 8.5k.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

What are the common problems..I know head leaks are on basiclly all of them. This can be solved easy though right?

What should i be weary of.

If i bought a car interstate i would have to drive it back. I would have no idea where im going :P
Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
XR8-EF
Starter Motor

Hi Thor,
new to this site....regardless anhow...but over here in the wild wild west past Adelaide & across the Nullabor, we have a mag 'Auto Traders' for both commercial & private sales, you should check it out amongst others around Aus, then you can compare prices to other states. The thing is like what 'fiery' says, 'it depends on how much you are willing to spend' or 'how keen are you to get one'.
XR8-EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Yes i know about the Auto Trader and papers. But im asking advice on here.

I could wait for a good one. Not gonna rush out and buy a dud.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
xr6ist

Well mate im from adelaide and i brought an ef xr6 auto with 180,000kms in excellent condition stock as a rock for 8 thousand since then i have spent about 6 thousand on it so the start up price is really nothing to worry about as far as im concerned if your just buying it as a daily then get a heap of **** one who cares but if your buying it like i did to do it up then get one for a bit more thats in better nick, less hassles later on and yes leaking head gaskets are a common one mine went recently and ive only had the car 6 months but this was due to me thrashing the **** out of it without it missin a beat till now.
xr6ist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is still for sale if you are interested.

It's manual too.

PM me if you are interested.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Dont have the money yet sorry