Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
99XR6

Post Braided Brake Lines?

Just wondering who's fitted braided brake lines? how much of a difference was made? and where can you get them, everywhere i've tried say that they have to be custom made is this true?

99XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

What state are you in ?

...coz in NSW Crescent Motors can sell you a set.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
99XR6

Queensland,
but if i have to get them sent interstate thats no worries.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
99XR6

any contact details for crescent motors?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

repco also sell a pbr set of them, they're not cheap tho
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Crescent Motors (02) 9600 6229 and FTG Autosalvage (forum sponsor) get them made by Pirtek as far as I know ... I think it's $280 for the full set ... not a bad price.

Series I and II use different length lines and the fitted are different as well.

Will get mine done when i get some spare cash ... definitely worth doing though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
99XR6

I've been told that PBR don't make them, but i thoghut that they did too...
Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ones i've seen at repco were in pbr packaging, they also had brake upgrade kits starting somewhere around $2500, which was calipers, discs, pads and lines i think...this was for front only as far as i'm aware, and au2 onwards
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
jossa
Best AU body kit - NONE

PBR do a range of braided brake lines. Any store that sell PBR should be able to get them in for you, and Repco have them on the shelf. Braided lines do not expand like a rubber hose, so you get a faster response and a firmer and more progressive feel.
jossa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Don't some insurance companies have issues with braided brake lines?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I thought NRMA might have ... and they said as long as the modification is legal and an engineer sees it as safe ... they have no issue with it.

Gone are the days of having your insurance voided because you have more than 3 mods to the car.

I think NRMA have had to compete with the underwriters out there just to keep some of the business ... hence they have had to relax their rulings.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I thought NRMA might have ... and they said as long as the modification is legal and an engineer sees it as safe ... they have no issue with it.
Does this mean you need an engineers certificate?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Really ... you "should" have an engineers certificate for any modification made to a vehicle ... no matter how small it is.

If an insurance company wants to they can void your insurance if they think a modication that may have caused an accident, is not safe. They can be VERY picky.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Although internaly and externally braided hoses are better and stronger than normal plain hoses, it still might be worth getting checked out.

You might find with outer braided lines that you need double inner braided hose or something for safety measures ?/ for example .... the hose isn't as flexible with external braiding on it , and the braiding could also start to wear and tear over time and cut into the brake line / that could maybe a reason for needing single or double inner braided hydraulic hosing if that was the case ? .

Best to check it out with your insurance company first too imo aswell .

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Crescent Motors (02) 9600 6229 and FTG Autosalvage (forum sponsor) get them made by Pirtek as far as I know ... I think it's $280 for the full set ... not a bad price.
Last I checked with Joe that price you mentioned was correct.

Quote:

Gone are the days of having your insurance voided because you have more than 3 mods to the car.

I think NRMA have had to compete with the underwriters out there just to keep some of the business ... hence they have had to relax their rulings.
Yeah they have relaxed some of their guidelines. From what I can see there's no mention of braided lines being an unacceptable mod. If it's ok with your licencing authority, they're cool.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post