Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Default How much do you pay for ruining your car?

Yesterday I found yet another mark/dent in my car, it'll be the fifth mark/scratch/dent i've found on my car since i've bought it new. Now i'd say that i'm pretty carefull with my car - I get to work an hour early each day simply so i can get a good parking spot (so a car may only park on one side). Yet still, i've had sombody key my drivers door, some kids throw a rock at my car denting my LH rear pillar, somebody opened their door heavily onto my passenger door, somebody reversed into my rear mirror etc etc...

No notes, no appologies.

I'd already spent $300 getting the keyscratch taken out, now i'm up for $850 to have the other dents/marks fixed, it's getting bloody ridiculous!

/rant

So, how much have you had to pay to have your car fixed because other people are idiots?

I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

I drive around an XF which is covered in dints and whether for that reason nobody touches or scratches it. I am still very carefull and protective of it but am pretty lucky in that respect. I work in an old heritage listed house so park in the back yard with only one or two other cars. My girlfriend however has a pretty new hyandai and she has had no luck lately. Had three accidents in the last month or so where people have scratched, ran into it and stuff while she is parked at work. Think all up its cost a few hundred but luckily she found the dumbasses that done each one and got them fixed individually through insurance.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Unfortunatly a sign of the times.
People just do not respect others property

Sad But true.
Only solution is to get a second car, just a cheapie for errands etc. and keep the good one for outings.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i still havent. ive had a couple of digs on my drivers door cause sum1 opened it on me and i havent gotten it fixed yet. its one of those small little ones like the size of a pin.
i hate them.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
ktmconvert
Not here

Not too sure about your parking arrangement but when I used to park my RX3 in a carpark I took 2 spaces ( drive in the centre of 2 parks).

No damages at all, this might not work for you though.

As far as people scratching your car that's sucks dude!!!!!
ktmconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
bessxg
Bundy on

How can people just walk away from it? Scum.
bessxg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I use the 2 car method, but the xb still gets minor damage. Being black it shows up all marks etc, and I have noticed a few scratches in it lately, sure they will buff out, but that's the way it goes if you drive it. to paraphrase the movie "if you drive it, the scratches will come"
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
snortycorty

Had my mums ex bf back into my car with his old hq tonner, and from the very start of the rear quarter to the very end (chipped my tailight) there was a massive dent, lucky he didnt peirce the metal it was that deep. He had his window down mum was yelling at him to stop and his excuse was 'sorry i didnt see my reverse light is out" and also no apology but straight after he says "lucky your boyfriend is a panal beater"

When i actually was in RACV insuring my car when i first got it on the road i parked next to a 4wd. I come out and there was a note stuck under my wiper that told me a black mark had been left on the RH rear quarter with a name and number. It was only a black mark which came off easily but it was nice to know that there still are some honest people out there!

My partner also had just gotten his ute on the road and took it out cruisin on a friday night for the first time. Went into maccas which was the only time we left it and the next morning found a nice fresh dent just past the front door on the LH side. With a nice dirty boot mark on it.

Some people have absolutly no respect for other peoples property.
I beleive what goes around comes around so here's hoping to the scum out there!
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$850 sounds a bit rich,could these dents be popped back out without chipping the paint?If yes you could ring some of those dent removal places.
They normally charge about $70 for the 1st 2 dents then say $40 for any extra dents.Its good value for money if your panels dont require a respray.

hope this helps in some way.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
SirJuggsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmconvert
Not too sure about your parking arrangement but when I used to park my RX3 in a carpark I took 2 spaces ( drive in the centre of 2 parks).
I cannot STAND when ppl do that.

My gf had her car parked on a main road and come back to see her entire rear windscreen smashed. Nothing stolen or anything. Cost us 450 to fix. *** ****ed me off though.
SirJuggsalot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
ktmconvert
Not here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJuggsalot
I cannot STAND when ppl do that.

My gf had her car parked on a main road and come back to see her entire rear windscreen smashed. Nothing stolen or anything. Cost us 450 to fix. *** ****ed me off though.
Dude I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's what I do to stop boneheads scratching my car!
ktmconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

We were in our mini the other day, when a volvo thought just cause we were small he could overtake us half way the distance of the car, and swiped us into the other lane. That was fun, he took off so fast, i was going to ******* smash him. No damage though luckilly, but the ordacity to take off and not say sorry drives me insane.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
syzygy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmconvert

More likely to attract the undue attention of someone who you have just pi$$ed off because they can't find a park and you have taken two!
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

When we bought our new car years ago, within month it was keyed all the way down the side. Its breaks your heart when its new.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
It'sTheVibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
Yesterday I found yet another mark/dent in my car, it'll be the fifth mark/scratch/dent i've found on my car since i've bought it new. Now i'd say that i'm pretty carefull with my car - I get to work an hour early each day simply so i can get a good parking spot (so a car may only park on one side). Yet still, i've had sombody key my drivers door, some kids throw a rock at my car denting my LH rear pillar, somebody opened their door heavily onto my passenger door, somebody reversed into my rear mirror etc etc...

Where abouts in FNQ are you? We're moving up that way next year, and I'd like to know where to avoid parking.

For a first offence, keying a car or similar vandalism should be punishable at the discretion of the victim.
Second offence....... does capital punishment seem too extreme??
It'sTheVibe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #16
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortycorty

When i actually was in RACV insuring my car when i first got it on the road i parked next to a 4wd. I come out and there was a note stuck under my wiper that told me a black mark had been left on the RH rear quarter with a name and number. It was only a black mark which came off easily but it was nice to know that there still are some honest people out there!

My partner also had just gotten his ute on the road and took it out cruisin on a friday night for the first time. Went into maccas which was the only time we left it and the next morning found a nice fresh dent just past the front door on the LH side. With a nice dirty boot mark on it.

Some people have absolutly no respect for other peoples property.
I beleive what goes around comes around so here's hoping to the scum out there!
similer thing happened to my fiance her car got backed into whilst she was at work, happened at lunch time, and the guy was waiting at 5 for her when she finished to tell her he had hit her car the damage done was pretty bad because it was a tray body ute and he had backed into her.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Steve
torque is your friend

I made the mistake of leaving mine in the Bathurst track carpark. HUGE mistake. When I got back to it on Friday arvo, someone had reversed into the rear bumper with a towbar or something and scratched it and also caused stress fractures in the paint. There was no note or explanation at all. Worst of all is that my excess is more than the damage. Never again will I loeave my car in a large carpark like that.

I've got to repaint the front end due to sandblasting so it's going to cost me $700 for the rear and $850 for the front.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

the first day i got my XR i parked at work, i work in a supermarket *cringe*.
as it was 6 pm and a slow day i decided to park waaaayyy up the back and across 4 parks, so what happens? i get a dint in my back passenger door... :
[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #19
Aeron
DJR Fan

My XR6T is just over 2 years old and I have about 11 dents from other people opening their door onto my car at work. I work in a supermarket so its parked in a public car park for 38 hours a week. Just about every time I wash my car I find another. I need those dent removal guys to come to my house and get them taken out. :( :( :(
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
XR8GRL