Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Cars Guide review of BF MkII

Click here for article

I want to see a comparison between a BFII XT ESP and a VE Omega. I predict the Falcon would beat the Commodore in acceleration and economy and it would be a close fight in handling as both are fitted with Bosch electronic stability control.

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 20-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

The Fairmont Ghia tumbles $6370 to $46,490, the V8 XR8 has shed $6340 to $44,990 and the XR6 Turbo slips $2415 to $43,990.

It's getting better to buy top end Falcon. It a good write up. Only $250 for 6sp ZF plus ESP & 17inch wheel you would be mad to pass up that.
Old 20-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Sounds promising from that reviewer..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
The Fairmont Ghia tumbles $6370 to $46,490, the V8 XR8 has shed $6340 to $44,990 and the XR6 Turbo slips $2415 to $43,990.
No way!! Thats great value! XR8 for $45,000 sounds good to me.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Sounds promising from that reviewer..
Why do you mean?

FF
Old 20-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Why do you mean?

FF
The ending of the write-up.

''The BF II upgrades are minor compared with what Holden did with the all-new VE Commodore, but the Falcon was already a good car. It might not be totally new, but the exterior tweaks, the additions of stability control and brilliant six-speed automatic mean the Falcon is right back in the fight with its Commodore opponents.''

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Hate to put a downer on the celebrations but after seeing a BFII XT today i would take a BA/BAMKII or BF MK1 anyday.

I don't know maybe the fairmont will look better but if that is any hint to Orion im a little scared off at the moment.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Good write up, But I still dont like the bonnet. Not that that would effect me as I would only ever buy XR or FPV range.

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i change my mind about the ghia's styling. the radical bonnet and xr skirting are starting to grow on me.. i mean hell even the VE is starting to lose its shocking impact on me.

i am completely in love with the BF2 Ghia's cream leather interior.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
RATT

Fairmont Ghia gets its own advert as well. Very Euro inspired. Think BMW.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #11
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
i mean hell even the VE is starting to lose its shocking impact on me.
i fully agree with that.
there isnt many kicking around here yet, but from the few ive seen its starting to get very boring very quickly.
maybe a drive in one might re-inspire me?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #12
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
i am completely in love with the BF2 Ghia's cream leather interior.
The BFII Fairmont Ghia interior is SO VX Calais International interior: images

I'm impressed with the fuel consumption they achieved while test driving a BFII XT ESP - 9.8L/100km. Makes the VE look ordinary.

FF
Old 21-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #13
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsguide
....but the Falcon was already a good car....
Haha, there's a put-down of the old Commodore for you!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN

It's getting better to buy top end Falcon. It a good write up. Only $250 for 6sp ZF plus ESP & 17inch wheel you would be mad to pass up that.
I feel sorry for all those who have just purchased there XRs for $50K or more, its now worth less than 2/3rds of that in a matter of months, well done ford, not. out:

I know you don't buy cars to make money, but this kind of behaviour just erodes customers from there fan base. No use in throwing good money after bad. Would have though Ford would have learnt there lesson from the EL/AU discount saga. :

Makes me glad I sold my ute just before BFII pricing announcements, great resale on those after 3 years! :hihi:
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

That's true but unfortunately Ford had to either respond to Holden or stop selling XR8's.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am aure Ford has upped the insulation as well ... I took a BFII XL ute EGAS for a test drive ... it only had 1km on the clock as well.

Was impressed with how quiet it was ... and normally the EGAS when starting you can hear it cranking over ... this was bloody quiet ... and on the road ... bugger all noise (even for the ute with rubber floor ... no carpet). Suspension is better ... very firm ... but not harsh ... and there's a hell of a lot of more go than my AU EGAS.

And I must admit ... the BF2 nose looks mean ... not everyone mightn't like it. But I think it's a good improvement though. The Fairmont nose looks the goods with the chrome headlights as well ... a nice little upgrade at the end of the model life.

Sooooo tempted to get one ... sooooo so tempted.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
That's true but unfortunately Ford had to either respond to Holden or stop selling XR8's.
Exactly. It is Holden who didn't care about resale values as they slashed the prices of the VE Commodore when compared to the equivalent VZ model. Ford had no choice but to follow Holden otherwise they'd have trouble selling cars.

FF
Old 21-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I am aure Ford has upped the insulation as well ... I took a BFII XL ute EGAS for a test drive ... it only had 1km on the clock as well.

Was impressed with how quiet it was ... and normally the EGAS when starting you can hear it cranking over ... this was bloody quiet ... and on the road ... bugger all noise (even for the ute with rubber floor ... no carpet). Suspension is better ... very firm ... but not harsh ... and there's a hell of a lot of more go than my AU EGAS.

And I must admit ... the BF2 nose looks mean ... not everyone mightn't like it. But I think it's a good improvement though. The Fairmont nose looks the goods with the chrome headlights as well ... a nice little upgrade at the end of the model life.

Sooooo tempted to get one ... sooooo so tempted.
Just do it, if i had the room id get a BF XR6 Magnet, I love the utes
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Good prices, but where they won't trim that much off, without componsating somewhere.....

Now, what are the prices, driveaway????? :

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Tell me about it ... I need to find a white one.
Well ... I have found no EGAS Magnets in white left.
Doesn't matter ... I'd be happy with an XR6 EGAS in white. (XLS is about $3K-$4K less .... but is missing key features the XR6 has that I'd like)
Prices have dropped ... the Ford website RRP prices are higher than what I have been quoted.

Time to go and see Dean at PWS and have a serious chat.
Old 21-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Good prices, but where they won't trim that much off, without componsating somewhere.....

Now, what are the prices, driveaway????? :
I am looking at going through Novated Lease ... and driveaway ... brand new ... XR6 N/A S/S ute white is $35K (with 2300kg towbar, mats, rope rail kit, headlight covers, tint, delivery, ORC, etc.)

XLS with same options is $31K

Oh ... both EGAS vehicles.

OK .... there's a $4K difference ... but the difference is wheels ... diff ratio ... body kit ... fog lights ... seats ... instruments ... and a few other interior items.
Old 21-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #22
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
I am looking at going through Novated Lease ... and driveaway ... brand new ... XR6 N/A S/S ute white is $35K (with 2300kg towbar, mats, rope rail kit, headlight covers, tint, delivery, ORC, etc.)

OK .... there's a $4K difference ... but the difference is wheels ... diff ratio ... body kit ... fog lights ... seats ... instruments ... and a few other interior items.

Novated, through salary sacrifice....? Nice one...

Yer, price difference over XLS / XT / Futura to XR, is nothing for the extras you get....
Very good price, but I just can't see the T's and the 8's being driven out for 45.......

The horsepower for the T's is getting too cheap as well.....

Old 21-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think the previous high petrol prices have hit Ford quite hard when it comes to the V8 models ... I think it's a case of them having to move them out ... and I think that's why the BFII XRs are unchanged externally as well (Well they look unchanged to me).
Old 21-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #24
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Is it just me, or is the Bos 260, still keeping current power level?

Old 21-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Is that a Mark I or Mark II BF?

If its a Mark I then its not that Sharp.

Id definately get the XR6 over the XLS for resale, XLS resale is no better then XL, and neither are anywhere near as good a XR6 on percentage.
Old 21-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's MkII pricing.

Also found out .... XLS you have to opt for A/C ... I thought it was standadrd across the range.

XL is cheap at the moment as they have big discounts as well ... but that's MkI though and are going with free A/C, cruise, auto ... and also a drop in price too.

XR's come with A/C standard.

Still deciding ... also Optus have a partner plan with Ford I just found now too .... so there's another 10% the price again.

The thing is ... once you start optioning up the lower spec vehicles ... it ends up the same or more than the XR ... and still missing things as well. I think the XR is the better value ute.
Old 21-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #27
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Is it just me, or is the Bos 260, still keeping current power level?
No change until Orion.

FF
Old 22-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's MkII pricing.

Also found out .... XLS you have to opt for A/C ... I thought it was standadrd across the range.

XL is cheap at the moment as they have big discounts as well ... but that's MkI though and are going with free A/C, cruise, auto ... and also a drop in price too.

XR's come with A/C standard.

Still deciding ... also Optus have a partner plan with Ford I just found now too .... so there's another 10% the price again.

The thing is ... once you start optioning up the lower spec vehicles ... it ends up the same or more than the XR ... and still missing things as well. I think the XR is the better value ute.
Just do it!

Id get a BFII EGAS XR6 ute with the 18s, sports steering wheel and the sports bars, best looking courier in the country

Heres some BFII real life pics attached.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 22-10-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 22-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Going to have a chat to RATT tomorrow ... if he is in at work