Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Mitch_

Default QLD Traffic Infringment - Hoon Laws

hey,
i got done about a month ago for chirping my wheels by accident(willfully creating noise or smoke was the charge).
The officer said that i did it deliberately, which i didn't, and i am thinking
about taking it to court. i was just wondering what could possibly happen if
i did take it to court, at the moment i am just looking at my options.
if someone has more knowledge on this kinda thing and doesn't wanna post can u pm me please
Thanks,
mitch

Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

How good is your solicitor, and how deep are your pockets?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Mitch_

lol i'm a first year electrical apprentice :P i was thinking of representing myself...
Old 25-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I have been done for this, BUT I did do a decent burn out, and the cops had a good photo of what I had done! Lost my licence for 3 months and a $430 fine

Question, did you leave a mark or not? as to create smoke you would of had to left some rubber behind, go back to were you "chirped" the wheels and get as many photos as you can of the location ASAP, sorry just realised it was a month ago, anyway if you did leave rubber the cops will have pics of it and if they don't then you may have a good chance of getting off with a lesser charge or let off all together, as they don't have the evidence to back up the charge.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Mitch_

it was a genuine chirp, if i did a burnout i would've copped it sweet. just like if i get caught speeding, i'll take the fine cause i'll admit i was in the wrong.
this was before i got the clutch adjusted in my fairmont, and i was sitting in the middle of the road waiting to turn right, and a gap appreard so i deceided to take it, but i misjudged it, so to avoid an accident i accelerated harder and let he clutch out quicker! and he pulled me up for it! he said if i created any smoke he would've taken my car!
Old 25-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
HOON69
Banned

better get a lawyer son you better get a real good one (sarcasm)

mitch depends on the circumstances mate how many police in vehicle that saw you doing the said offence

as for representing yourself i would advise not to unless you know what your doing.

best bet is to weigh up the pro's n cons and see if its worth the risk of challenging it.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Mitch_

lol it was a magna GT with a female and a male cop...
yea i'm weighing up the pro's and con's...
if i agree to pay the ticket i loose my licence for 6 months...
Old 25-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

i got pulled up for this not long ago

funny story really

in a nissan patrol wagon 90 vintage
with a diesel with 350000kms on the clock couldn't pull the skin of a 3 day old custard
33" BFG muddies on brand new

i accellerated hard around a corner pretty hard

and i get pulled up
copper pins me for spinning the tyres and smokin it up around the corner

have taken it to court still no out come .. they're just hasseling me to pay the fine

sorry but its not capable of spinning the tyres even in the wet bwahahaha
Patrol351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_anderson
if i agree to pay the ticket i loose my licence for 6 months...
you on a 1 point 12 month probational licence mitch?

if so your f'd

if not go for the 1 point 12 months thing and try and behave yourself.

good luck fella
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Mitch_

yet thats wat i'm on! :( i could deal with loosing 1 point! but not 2!
Old 25-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't bother fighting it if you are representing yourself. You are pretty well guaranteed a lose if you do that. It may cost a lot but get proper legal representation.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_anderson
if I agree to pay the ticket i loose my licence for 6 months...
Given that, fight it. If youre being truthful here, as well as to yourself, fight it through a solicitor.

If not, learn from your mistake. Being on a one point licence doesnt give me confidence in your assertions.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitch I would strongly suggest get the advice from a legal representative and see what they say.

But do not be silly and try to defend yourself in court... that would be crazy and you may as well not fight it if you were seriously going to represent yourself.

Tomorrow morning, ring around and get the best advice you possibly can..

Good luck
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a witness to quiet a few Road Traffic Act sessions here in WA, I would say challenge it. If they do not have photographic evidence, and you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you didn't spin the tyres (take a photo of your tyres and guards to show no rubber) and even go back and take a photo of the intersection in question.

Going to court for a matter like this isn't expensive, and usually the courts wont make you pay any costs if the charge is dropped.
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #15
Mitch_

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
If not, learn from your mistake. Being on a one point licence doesnt give me confidence in your assertions.
yea stupid mistake from at the start of the year, was speeding in what i thought was a 110 zone turned out to be a 100 zone. 3 points, and i coudn't present my licence so 1 point for that (found it about 1/2k down the road...wasnt happy)
i copped this one sweet, because i was in the wrong.
if i want to go do something like sliding arround and burnouts or rediculous speeding, i'll go to a skid pan or to willowbank...legal, safe and alot more fun :P
Old 31-10-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
How good is your solicitor, and how deep are your pockets?
How true! More to the point you can drag it on for a long time if you have a time limit for when your points return.
Old 31-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #17
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be getting representation.

Do they do 'dusk til dawn' type licences anymore?

You could argue that as an apprentice sparky you could suffer the loss of your job due to losing your licence - and as such they give you like a Mon - Fri 9-5 type licence instead of losing it totally.

I dunno if they still do that anymore though. Someone on here will know.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Do they do 'dusk til dawn' type licences anymore?

You could argue that as an apprentice sparky you could suffer the loss of your job due to losing your licence - and as such they give you like a Mon - Fri 9-5 type licence instead of losing it totally.

I dunno if they still do that anymore though. Someone on here will know.
Yes they do still do that (under certain circumstances and very strict rules)..

Mitch I hope you have spoken with legal reps now and have one sorted..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
TUF514
Banned

You dont need a lawyer.

You need a witness to contradict the pork chop.

Thats all you need fella.

You wont win if its YOU ( the scumbag young hoon ) agains the copper ( doing his damdest to make the community a safe place ).
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“i got pulled up for this not long ago

funny story really

in a nissan patrol wagon 90 vintage
with a diesel with 350000kms on the clock couldn't pull the skin of a 3 day old custard
33" BFG muddies on brand new

i accellerated hard around a corner pretty hard

and i get pulled up
copper pins me for spinning the tyres and smokin it up around the corner

have taken it to court still no out come .. they're just hasseling me to pay the fine

sorry but its not capable of spinning the tyres even in the wet bwahahaha”

That is a good one, with 88Kw and the a Nissan LSD in the rear on 33-inch tyre you wouldn’t have a hope in hell of laying rubber, No to mention why you would want to smoke up a set of tyre’s that cost $300+ each

Unfortunately the Judge wouldn’t understand> N/A 4.2 Diesel+ Nissan LSD+ 33-inch tyre ‘s = No burnout on dry pavement

Mitch mate I was done for this in WA> turning a corner on that hell shinny bitumen, Yes the tyres screeched for all of Oh 1, 1.5 second’s and I changed gears at 5000Rpm as I went past the parked Unmarked cop car at 11:30 at night.

They breathalysed me twice; accused me of being on drugs searched the car and fined me 3-point’s $150 I was a little ****ed off after that.

They also said I was a smart **** and should show more respect to the police

All I did was ask what I had done that was illegal, they said I spun my tyres and was creating excessive noise. I denied that, and said yes the tyres screeched but only for a second there was no smoke, no rubber on the road. Yes I may have taken off a little fast, but I was not trying to spin my tyres and I wasn’t speeding or racing.

And that makes me a smart **** does it. Hay I have respect for Cop’s but not when they pick on you for doing something so small and minor just to keep them self amused.

I hear a lot of people get done for bugger all like 20k’s over when overtaking, A small screech of the tyres taking off a the traffic light’s, 75 in a 70 zone ECT, yet somehow they seem to miss the ******** doing 160Km/h down the road full of **** racing his mate in the car in the next lane right before they run a red light and killing a family. Glade to see they have there priorities straight eh…
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #21
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least real criminals like you have taken the heat off the poor old paeodphiles and drugdealers. They could lock up a rapist but wheres the 3 points and $500 in that??
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #22
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
At least real criminals like you have taken the heat off the poor old paeodphiles and drugdealers. They could lock up a rapist but wheres the 3 points and $500 in that??

Couldnt have said it better myself!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #23
070mstg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X

Unfortunately the Judge wouldn’t understand> N/A 4.2 Diesel+ Nissan LSD+ 33-inch tyre ‘s = No burnout on dry pavement

Mitch mate I was done for this in WA> turning a corner on that hell shinny bitumen, Yes the tyres screeched for all of Oh 1, 1.5 second’s and I changed gears at 5000Rpm as I went past the parked Unmarked cop car at 11:30 at night.

They breathalysed me twice; accused me of being on drugs searched the car and fined me 3-point’s $150 I was a little ****ed off after that.

They also said I was a smart **** and should show more respect to the police

All I did was ask what I had done that was illegal, they said I spun my tyres and was creating excessive noise. I denied that, and said yes the tyres screeched but only for a second there was no smoke, no rubber on the road. Yes I may have taken off a little fast, but I was not trying to spin my tyres and I wasn’t speeding or racing.

And that makes me a smart **** does it. Hay I have respect for Cop’s but not when they pick on you for doing something so small and minor just to keep them self amused.

Ih…
also in W.A, pulled out of fast food joint too fast as i wanted to get home and eat my burger!, screached the tyres a bit,no intention of noise but it happened as it dropped down the driveway. the cop basically gave me the choice of a fine or a yellow sticker for a baldish rear tyre. his cop mate starts accusing me saying i must drop burnouts everywhere if the rear tyre is bald,i start laughing,he says whats up, i say 'hey mate its a camry',he says so what,FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MATE!
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #24
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 070mstg
also in W.A, pulled out of fast food joint too fast as i wanted to get home and eat my burger!, screached the tyres a bit,no intention of noise but it happened as it dropped down the driveway. the cop basically gave me the choice of a fine or a yellow sticker for a baldish rear tyre. his cop mate starts accusing me saying i must drop burnouts everywhere if the rear tyre is bald,i start laughing,he says whats up, i say 'hey mate its a camry',he says so what,FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MATE!

I hate it when the cops put words in your mouth

I got pulled over and was telling the copper i put new pads and discs all round and hes like

"ohh you must be hard on them brakes all the time" labling me a hoon i guess
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #25
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its one of those things. There are good cops, and there will always be bad cops. Some might seem bad because they've been jaded by all the ****wits. However, if you get a genuinely bad cop, Get his name, Rank and Badge number. They have to give it to you upon request. The other thing is, do what I do. Go down to cashies, buy yourself a note taker or tape recorder of some kind, and keep it in the car. Ever time you get pulled over, Tell the cop you are going to record the encounter, and now you have your defence. Plus if they know you're recording it, they're less likely to give you a hard time if they are a genuinely bad cop. Just keep your cool, be respectful and polite and you'll come out smelling like roses.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #26
suicidalchimes
Starter Motor

There seems to be an abundance of bad and sneaky cops in Queensland.
suicidalchimes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #27
xr8man83
Grunt Files

i got a mate that has fought everything and he hasnt lost his license yet the last time he went to court he thought he was done but walked out clean he should of lost his license about 4 times his record is huge if i would get your facts together and go to court inocent untill provin guilty mate and how r they going to proove it???
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
Wally
XP Coupe

So long as there is a labour govt there will be rules, rules and more rules. Even rules on making rules. They just can't help themselves, but make rules to inconvenience the majority. It's a constant struggle for them trying to pigeon hole people who want freedoms.

As far as I can fathom the anithoon laws, speed cameras, etc have had very little effect on first time and recidivist offenders. The numbers of people who have been stung is alarming, especially when considering the ratio of police and cameras to the total number of streets. I would hazard a guess that if they put a cop and camera on every street they would probably nab 95% of the population for some traffic offense over the course of a year, whether it be outright speed or failing to slow down satisfactorily at junctions and intersections.

I have been driving for a very long time and only recieved a warning for a peculiar road rule in Qld that didn't apply elsewhere. I get miffed when the govt uses people like me as an excuse to put draconian laws in place.."the law abiding citizen wants this law..." routine. Well I don't want more rules, I want the young people to be guided and trained in good road manners and safe procedures. Constantly making new challenges for the youth to overcome just exacerbates the divide between them and the police.... an enemy to free wheeling hormones.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #29
TUF514
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8man83
i got a mate that has fought everything and he hasnt lost his license yet the last time he went to court he thought he was done but walked out clean he should of lost his license about 4 times his record is huge if i would get your facts together and go to court inocent untill provin guilty mate and how r they going to proove it???
Wtf? Have you ever had to go to court?

It is not innocent until proven guilty.

You go to court to APPEAL the penalty/fine.

You are GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT.