Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
BJ
Banned

Default What a week so far.

Well it all started last weekend with the XR dam thing over heated all the way to Bright and back, just as well i am pulling it all out. Next on Monday the starter in the Fairlane starts to play up and then on Tuesday it packs it in, later that day the battery goes flat ah well put the one out of the XR into it later that night it goes flat as well, give good old RACV a ring guess what? the bloody alternator shiits it self, while that's being done i notice the engine is sitting on a funny angle, guess what not one but both the dam engine mounts have had the gong. Have any of you tried to find a set of NC 5 liter engine mounts not an easy thing to do in this day and age, i finally find some from Ford no you cart get then after market can you i had tried all of my trade contacts. So how much has all this cost me over the last coupe of day.

Starter motor. $359.00
Alternator. $399.00
Engine mounts @2. $355.55
Which make it $1,113.55.
Not bad for two day work ay.

BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

When it rain it pours mate,sounds like your luck is like mine with cars,what can go wrong will go wrong..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$355 for engine mounts!!!

That sucks mate. Bad luck indeed.
Old 15-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know how you feel. Had to dish out $1600 in one day for servicing/parts not so long after I bought my car.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

You know what they say... Karma comes in threes!!
Old 15-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
BJ
Banned

Will if it dose come in three's then mines over with. he says with his fingers crossed. I know one thing I'm not looking forward to fitting those new mounts.
Old 15-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Starter motor. $359.00
Alternator. $399.00
Which make it $1,113.55.
2 new batterys $200 OR battery charger $60

I feel for you BJ but November is the month of car deadness. Lastyear it was our EF's radiator, this year my wheel studs. Seems you have hit the November blues as well. Just before Xmas, its a killer.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Starter motor. $359.00
Alternator. $399.00
Which make it $1,113.55.
Not Driving a Holden but driving a ford instead.........Priceless

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
EXECJIM

I know what you mean with NC Fairlanes, biggest heap of crap ever made, they were only meant to last 3 years, then your hand was always in your pocket :

My sister has 1, and every thing that you buy is 5 times dearer than any other model Ford, I have posted this about a year ago.

No wonder Ford is going down the S%!T SHUTE and people buying other makes of cars :

I know somebody that may buy your motor if you decide to sell it, how stuffed is the motor? and how much you want for it?

Jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXECJIM
I know what you mean with NC Fairlanes, biggest heap of crap ever made, they were only meant to last 3 years, then your hand was always in your pocket :

My sister has 1, and every thing that you buy is 5 times dearer than any other model Ford, I have posted this about a year ago.

No wonder Ford is going down the S%!T SHUTE and people buying other makes of cars :

I know somebody that may buy your motor if you decide to sell it, how stuffed is the motor? and how much you want for it?

Jim
Do you mean the motor out of the XR, it's fine the radiator is blocked pulled the stat out of it and it was OK i never let it get past half on the gauge. I am selling it as a complete lot as in motor box and rear end with tail shaft and exhaust, and all the accessories. The only thing i am keeping is the rear drum brakes. I wont $2,800 the lot ready for some one to drop it into there project.
Old 15-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

how did the evaluatioins of the Comics go... lol.....you may just need to cash one in and well who knows lol....

bad luck dude. hope all picks up in the future.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
fat289
fat289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Well it all started last weekend with the XR dam thing over heated all the way to Bright and back, just as well i am pulling it all out. Next on Monday the starter in the Fairlane starts to play up and then on Tuesday it packs it in, later that day the battery goes flat ah well put the one out of the XR into it later that night it goes flat as well, give good old RACV a ring guess what? the bloody alternator shiits it self, while that's being done i notice the engine is sitting on a funny angle, guess what not one but both the dam engine mounts have had the gong. Have any of you tried to find a set of NC 5 liter engine mounts not an easy thing to do in this day and age, i finally find some from Ford no you cart get then after market can you i had tried all of my trade contacts. So how much has all this cost me over the last coupe of day.

Starter motor. $359.00
Alternator. $399.00
Which make it $1,113.55.
Not bad for two day work ay.

I was also at Bright LOTS of realy nice cars
got a pic of your XR ?

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The cars know they have to make way for the HUMMER or be crushed !
They are trembling apart by the sound :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXECJIM

Jim
sorry? mine has been bloody good, 326,000 on it to boot. has had its issues, but nothing that cant be fixed.
you tend to get that with 15 year old cars.

engine mounts are dear because ford made them that way...i guess the volume just isnt there for them to be churned out like the I6 ones.....its the same for all the late windsor parts, EB-AU, stupidly dear....
go price youself up a pair of AU XR8 headders LOL

BJ, bit of bad luck mate, these things happen
look on the bright side - that stuff is all done and out of the way now should be trouble free for some time.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
Dezza
Parts bin special

That's bad luck mate. I was lucky this week. I had a massive oil leak. I thought it could have been the timing case which would require the head come of. Instead the problem was a loose oil filter. I'm so glad. I also got a new rocker cover gasket, oil change, and had the timing tensioner adjusted. All up it was only $70

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I managed to get aftermarket engine mounts for my 5.0 EB from repco for $45 each... Are NC ones different?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I feel for you BJ! it doesnt rain, in hails (MElbourne!!!!!) Last week out of 6 cars, 2 were going in a reasonable way with the others all stopped because of various bits and pieces. Been an expensive couple of weeks here as well!

Have a starter I could sell back to you for 3 times the price? But it wont fit the NC sorry! :voldar02:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I managed to get aftermarket engine mounts for my 5.0 EB from repco for $45 each... Are NC ones different?
nope same mounts........i tried everywhere when i was looking.........grrr!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
nope same mounts........i tried everywhere when i was looking.........grrr!
i was going to say Conventry and Repco stock them for around 35 trade price... $335 is a whack out of the wallet..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
BJ
Banned

Tried all of the normal places. None in stock, so had to pay the price. Ahh well shiit happens.
Old 15-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #21
EXECJIM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Do you mean the motor out of the XR, it's fine the radiator is blocked pulled the stat out of it and it was OK i never let it get past half on the gauge. I am selling it as a complete lot as in motor box and rear end with tail shaft and exhaust, and all the accessories. The only thing i am keeping is the rear drum brakes. I wont $2,800 the lot ready for some one to drop it into there project.

Yes John, I did mean the motor of the XR.
Are you willing to just sell the motor, I cant imagine him wanting an auto and a B/W diff :evil_laug

I will pass this info on to my mate when i see him, but i think you are asking alot of money for a stock windsor, and on your 1st post you said it was over heating all the way to Bright, and over heating all the way home.
And now its ok :gren:

If he wants it? i will let you know.
He may already have a motor, i havent heard from him for over 2 weeks.

Thanks
Jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post