Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Sm0kinup
TYRE FRYER

Question Changing steroes in the new BF

i just bought a new BF MkII XR8 but i want to get rid of the crappy stereo and put in some quality sound does anyone know if this can be done. Does it mess with the electrics, or would it be wise to just install one leaving the old one in aswell???

Sm0kinup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I have seen a few people install one down near the tissue box holder.
Best to leave the factory unit there if you ask me.
Old 17-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

g'day mate which stereo have you got in the car? is it the standard one or the premo sound with the colour screen? A few people have as Darran has said installed a new head unit in place of the tissue box holder in the dash. I've got the premo sound so chose to keep that head unit, and get new speakers and sub all round, running output through an Audioline LC6 controller. sounds great anyway

cheers,
Julza

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yes it's easy enough to do. in my ba i had a deck mounted in the tissue box holder. i changed the front speakers to some decent splits, then ran the tweeters next to the mirrors. rears i left factory as not much bias goes to them anyway in my setups. Had a sub and amp in the boot. Basically the factory stereo was left alone, so it still turned on etc but the speakers were wired to the new deck instead. The only thing i lost obviously was the steering wheel control functionalty. There are decks out there these days with kits though, so you can use your steering wheel controls.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
bob^
LPS

See here mate
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=55398

Hope that helps
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Does your premium/prestidge sound amp run with aftermarket headunit work, ive been told they dont (i have 6 stacker with sub etc just no tape player) AU btw guys bit off topic sorry
Old 17-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Alpine offer a range of products that work with factory screen etc. http://www.alpine.com.au/#

As some have stated yo can also mount unit near cigarette lighter. I would speak to Fadi from ASL, site sponsor, for info.
Old 17-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

here are some pics:

-
-

-
-

In the BF i had premium sound so i didn't bother doing anything, but it's still easy enough to do. There are many options you have.

note: i still retained the 12v power outlet, it was just moved and mounted in the new tissue box facia a bit lower down.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Sm0kinup
TYRE FRYER

Cheers for all your help sounds like the tissue box is the way to go although it is a manual
what about a dvd screen would it also fit there or would it get in the way of the shifter?
I have only opt for the standard one cause i was gonna rip it out anyway might ring the factory and see if i can still get the premium sound system if there not too far into the build.
Sm0kinup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
PHANTOM XR
PHANTOM

does any 1 know if i can install premium sound in my ba xr6 which has a normal ford sound unit, i want the one with all the electric buttons like the gt.
Old 17-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

phantom_xr, are you referring to the dual zone climate control ICC? i'm not too sure if that is quite as doable (still possible i'm sure but cost $$$). You can definitely get the premium sound colour screen installed, check out our site sponsor ASL for more info on that.

Julza

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #12
PHANTOM XR
PHANTOM

hi, yer i think it is the dual zone climate control, thanks for ur help i think one of the asl members will be able to help me. i can buy the unit for 500 from this wrecker, thats y i wanted check to see if it can be bolted straight in or more costs are involved.
cheers
charlie.