Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #31
vectra-racer
pom racer

many readers will find this site very interesting.

i used it in the uk to get off a speeding fine [on a technicality]

some of the laws and penalties won't be relevant but the machinery and science will be.

some funny stuff there too.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/

:eclipsee_
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #32
070mstg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
were you speeding??? if so wear it!!!
ive been booked a couple of times recently (what can i say...bad run) but i know i was in the wrong, ive worn it and i havent made posts about it to see if i can get out of it....

just wear it and move on
agreed, so were you speeding, if so stop trying to get out of it and take whats coming to you like everyone else does
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #33
jackpot

If you were (or suspect you were), and you're taking it to court on the odd chance you might get off on a technicality.... well, cheers for clogging up the court system.

thats the go, you are free to go if cop cannot make it to present evidence.

If they only have a couple of tickets in court then the officer may be required elsewhere. I got off before on a big ticket where the cop just didn't rock up. ticket dismissed.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #34
jackpot

also, if anyone forgot........................the burden is on the state to prove the guilt, make the case.

Check out "Law and order" on 7 tonite... :
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpot
also, if anyone forgot........................the burden is on the state to prove the guilt, make the case.

Sounds good doesnt it but its not the case. You really do need to prove your innocence as the evidence, once in court, will be there. They dont go in empty handed......never! And you shouldnt really quote from TV. That is a 'bit' make beleive!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #36
slowpoke
Banned

Quote:

Also note that police are 'trained' to detect speed by 'eye'. So if the gun was not accurate, a policemans' 'eye' is deemed accurate enough in a court of law..
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #37
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Just found it ... 9 points $1205 ... so you were close.

Fine is classed as:
Drive/stand vehicle with speed evasion article
Then you can be fine another $1205 for:
Failure to surrender speed evasion article.
depends upon the "speed evasion device" and how you use it. With older radar detectors yes I'd say you would get caught. However the Bell Sti driver device mentioned above is one of the latest devices on the market and one of the few you could feel comfortable using given the types of devices and combinations of devices the police, (in the eastern states anyways) are currently using.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #38
coolcanberra

evasion - the deliberate act of failing to pay money..
Yeah, well NSW or the Vic armed robbery squad, situation normal.

Look up evasion in any dictionary. A passive detector is a receiver and protected constitutionally by the telecommunucations act. It is a very long bow to call or imply it is illegal just because they do not like it. Someone should take a stick to the bluff, using a good dictionary. The reasoning is circular, and false logic.

However, your odds would be low in NSW court methinks. Stating that the soft sided truck contained radar corner reflectors is one premise.
coolcanberra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I looked up evasion ... and this is what i found:

e·va·sion - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-vey-zhuhn]

1. an act or instance of escaping, avoiding, or shirking something: evasion of one's duty.
2. the avoiding of an argument, accusation, question, or the like, as by a subterfuge: The old political boss was notorious for his practice of evasion.
3. a means of evading; subterfuge; an excuse or trick to avoid or get around something: Her polite agreement was an evasion concealing what she really felt.
4. physical or mental escape.
5. an act or instance of violating the tax laws by failing or refusing to pay all or part of one's taxes.

So as reading the meanings above ... evasion does fit the purpose for the radar detector. As it is a device that aids the drive to evade the police by giving early warning.

In police terms ... Radar Detector = speed evasion device ... and seeing as there are laws for them and demerit points/fines in place if caught with them. You get busted, you don't have a leg to stand on in court.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #40
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

The actual legislation names radar detectors specifically so forget about any mumbo jumbo about "evasion".

Although cops do have radar detector detectors, most of the newer units on the market have radar detector detector detectors!

Even when you do get pulled up they wont know what to charge you with since the charge for posession of a radar detection device is pretty obscure.
How do i know? Cause it happened to me. Last words from him were, "Now i know youre not supposed to have this, but i dont know what to charge you with so im going to give it back".
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #41
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are not prepared to abide by the law get off the friggin road.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #42
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
If you are not prepared to abide by the law get off the friggin road.
Perhaps we will if we are given good examples by those who who uphold the law...

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #43
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah but I was driving away not towards the gun, ......i know I was not clocked towards him because A) I was completely hidden behind a truck B) he said he got me going away passing truck!
You are done . fess up and pay it .
how far do you think one or two 100ths of second will you travel ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #44
UNRULY

Police also in their evidence use an estimation of the speed. They are regarded as an expert witness as they spend their days radaring/laser motorists and can estimate speed withing a certain tolerance. So if you succesfully get the radar part dismissed, the estimation will most likely sink you.

Just wear to fine and get over it. Going to court sometimes is costly and stressful, let alone some days off work.
UNRULY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post