Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default AU vs BA!

I know there has been about a billion threads on this, but every time I drive a BA I just can't help but feel it's almost a downgrade from an AU!

I regularly drive my brothers BA XR8 and need to drive BA's at work fairly often, and every time I do, I can't help but notice the cheap and tacky dashboards, the low grade plastics, the MUCH heavier feel of the BA, lack of response from the 6's, heavier steering, and the list goes on!

Then there's the fact that practically every BA I drive has squeaky rattly interiors and I know my brothers has been back under warranty for a heap of things, yet my 170k old AU is still quiet and squeak free and has had nothing go wrong in 1.5 years of ownership.

I know I'm biased being an AU owner but I'm also not blind enough to understand why to many the BA is a huge upgrade.

Does anyone else out there feel the same way?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Ford V Ford, what is the point????
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Ford V Ford, what is the point????
Simply commenting that is all. I know that the BA/F has been a success story for Ford especially compared to the AU, but to me most BA's I've driven simply don't feel as well built as the AU's I've driven.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Your comments are spot-on mate. Sadly with the extra weight the BA picked up it does feel slower off the mark. However at higher speeds, engine and car, they are actually quicker. Also the build quality for some reason seems lower. I too have driven a lot of BAs that are full of rattles. The BA does have a lot of technology above the AU but unfortunately this has not been delivered into a much better car. My personal preference for interiors also puts the AU ahead. In fact I even prefer the EF/EL interiors over the BA. I hope the new model brings some improvements. However the BA doesn't have to compete with the AU for sales - just the Commodes - and we know how crappy their interiors are!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Your comments are spot-on mate. Sadly with the extra weight the BA picked up it does feel slower off the mark. However at higher speeds, engine and car, they are actually quicker. Also the build quality for some reason seems lower. I too have driven a lot of BAs that are full of rattles. The BA does have a lot of technology above the AU but unfortunately this has not been delivered into a much better car. My personal preference for interiors also puts the AU ahead. In fact I even prefer the EF/EL interiors over the BA. I hope the new model brings some improvements. However the BA doesn't have to compete with the AU for sales - just the Commodes - and we know how crappy their interiors are!
Absolutely, the VY-VZ interior in particular is absolutely terrible!

Did forget to mention that yeah the BA is definitely quicker once you're up and running but pottering around it just feels slower and seems to lumber about with it's heavy steering.

I think I almost agree with you too about preferring the EF-L interiors over the BA, they certainly do remind me of an early 80's type effort that is going to look terribly cheap and outdated in 10 years time.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The line moves quicker with the assembly of the BA than it did with the AU. This is what I've heard, I'm yet to hear someone who's worked on assembling both cars verify this though!

The slower line allows more care!

Can anyone confirm this?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 10-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're both nice cars to drive. I find ba's a lot smoother and refined, and so they should be... newer model.
RE quality... dads XR6T is 2 weeks out of warranty and has developed an ABS/TCS fault where abs engages when slightly braking, radiator has started leaking, handbrake no longer holds the car, violent idle as if its misfiring sometimes and foglight has blown. Stupid thing.. and he's stuck with the pos till november 2007.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

my dads BA XR8 compared to my AU2 Fairmont is like chalk and cheese.

the stance, the power, the feel, the sound. my dads car craps all over mine. my only gripe is the tacky texture on the door trims. feels heaps cheap, but other than that, i'd drive my dads BA any day of the week.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The line moves quicker with the assembly of the BA than it did with the AU. This is what I've heard, I'm yet to hear someone who's worked on assembling both cars verify this though!

The slower line allows more care!

Can anyone confirm this?

GK
I've heard the same thing too GK but not from the horses mouth.

It does make sense when you think about it though.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have access to a BA XR6 (and fuel card) for long trips.

This year I have driven it on three occasions for a total in excess of 13,000kms.
1. Bris - Atherton - Barcaldine - Bris.
2. Bris - Syd - Melb - Portland - Adel - Dubbo - Bris
3. Bris - Gunnedah - Jenolan Caves - Canberra - Dubbo - Bris

Also this year, I have driven my AU3 F/Ghia around 10,000 kms on trips
Bris - Kempsey a few times.
Bris - Syd
Bris - Mackay
Bris - Mundubbera a couple of times
Various trips to the Sunshine/Gold Coasts

I know we're not comparing apples and apples but there is no way that I would swap the later model XR6 for my F/Ghia.

There are a few reasons but it gets down to levels of noise, finish, comfort and aesthetics (I really dislike all the plastic in the BA.)

I'm sure if I didn't have the opportunity to compare the two, I'd be more than happy to own a BA XR6.

Fortunately I have the opportunity ;)

The BA on the Great Ocean Rd - July '06
Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

One other thing, BA XT's don't even hafe a foot rest! My 95 EF has got one - progress?

While BA's certainly have their good points, and the public has certainly voted with their feet, to my tastes there are just a few too many things that feel like they have been downgraded.

However as ronwest put it, if I hadn't had the chance to compare the 2, then I'd probably be content with a BA.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #12
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Ba

I'd rather own a BA over my AU ANYDAY! Id have one with the same mods!

I love them!

They drive really well and are really comfortable and i love the interors!

Cheers

Simon
Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always a useless topic because it's like bickering brothers, but anyway, I've got some spare time :P

I'm far from a brand loyalist, I just like nice cars. I'll just say AU's put me off Ford, BA's brought me back. "I'd never buy an AU (except for a T-series)" and "I'd never buy anything but a BA" were my two experiences with both models (and I drove everything from a Forte to a TS50, XT to GT-P so it wasn't just a short experience in either).

There's going to be people who think along the same lines, and those that don't. I guess the only thing that will ever seperate the two arguments are the sales results which ultimately indicate that more people wanted BA's. That doesn't proove they are better (no one will ever proove to everyone that one is better than the other) it just shows which one was wanted more.

So yeah, I try to stay neutral as I have no dramas with people who love AU's and complain about BA's - that's their opinion and I respect that. I do laugh though when they say the BA dash looks cheap compared to the AU, I must have been looking at some other car for all those years I guess...

They've both got pro's and con's, and everyone has different tastes.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 AM   #14
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have one of each, and I think the BA's interior design is miles ahead of the AU's. The AU in standard form at least just screams TAXI! The AU series 1 had the ugliest interior I have ever seen.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #15
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a ba Futura for me and my work car is a AU series 3. I freakin hate the AU. Not only does it look like its been punched in the face but it drives like a poo on wheels. My Ba has a stack more power, it handles better because of the heavy steering, It has more options with the trip computer, the whole car looks better inside and out and its quieter.

The AU looks all plastic and everything is round. Why did Ford think that people would like that??? The buttons on the steering wheel are crap and feel cheap, and the make a clicking noise when you press them. Plus there is no cruise controll. And the gear leaver rattles and moves around when driving.

Honestly, if the AU was actually a good car I would say good things about it. I think the AU was fords biggest misstake.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
I have one of each, and I think the BA's interior design is miles ahead of the AU's. The AU in standard form at least just screams TAXI! The AU series 1 had the ugliest interior I have ever seen.
I do agree, to my tastes the AU does have an interesting looking interior! I'm merely talking about my opinion of the quality of the interior more than appearance.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #17
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Cant say I agree with you. I went from a au xr6 to a ba xr8 and there is no way the au is even close to the ba. The only thing my au had going for it was the handling which felt abit better. The au has one of the most ugly interiors ever and Im so happy I dont have to look at that fish bowl anymore. The ba is quieter, smoother, faster and i reckon the build quality is just as good. Thats my 2cents.

BA XR8
EB XR8
Old 11-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #18
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ba looks way cooler. but i really love the t series. they looks so mean. interior is way nicer in a ba. it feels more roomy too. i hate the au xr head lights, its kind of like a celica.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

From what I've heard, the quality of the B series has been steadily improving since the first BA.

The BF mkII's are meant to be pretty good overall.

I guess it's the same with any new model.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #20
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

I owned an AUII before my BA. I gotta say the plastic in the interior was much softer in the AU and the AU had the sunglass holder, but In ALL other respects my BA is heaps better. I've never once heard a rattle in mine. I stll like AU's though.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #21
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BA interior is way nicer. Even the base XT is decent. The AU interior is rather "odd" in a ford taurus kind of way. I admit that the build quality is rather lacking in the BA range though...
Old 11-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I really feel this comparison comes down to the fact that for most people and almost all young people your car is your biggest asset, and given the particular one you own (AU or BA) you want a little bit of reassurance you made a good desicion. I was recently directly comparing BA vs AU and i ended up going AU, so i want to hear positive things about that model.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 AM   #23
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
There's going to be people who think along the same lines, and those that don't. I guess the only thing that will ever seperate the two arguments are the sales results which ultimately indicate that more people wanted BA's. That doesn't proove they are better (no one will ever proove to everyone that one is better than the other) it just shows which one was wanted more.
Which isn't always a good indicator, otherwise we'd have to admit that Commodores are somehow or other superior, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
They've both got pro's and con's, and everyone has different tastes.
Yes, at the end of the day that's what it gets down to. In the last 15 years I've driven two Fords (the two I mentioned above) so I'm no real judge.

It just may be that if I test drove a BA or BF Fairmont Ghia I would be suitably impressed.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #24
fordAU

Both the BA and AU are lacking in build quality.

Last Fords I owned that were very good in this area were both E-series, an EB Fairmont and EL XR6, both better built than my AUXR8 but neither as fun to drive.

Can't comment on the BF but the BA I drive on a daily basis is a heap of junk, very bad build quality as compared to say an EF/EL.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

This thread really isnt going to go any where. Started with good intentions I accept, but its going to degrade into a shouting match at some stage.
Both cars have their loyalists and both have their place in history. In 20 years it will be interesting to see what (if either) car is more desirable.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Closed Thread