Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Which Cutting Compound?

Hi All,

I have tried Meguiar's Scratch X on my wagon, good results on very light (read very, very light) scratches, but limited results on the deeper ones.

I was thinking of a Kitten cutting compound, you know the ones in the round metal tub. I was wondering what your experiences with these products are and also which no 1, 2 or 3?

What are the implications for the clear coat with cutting compounds?

My paint is in very good nick.

If not Kitten, which product and do I need an electric buffer? I saw some on special at Autobarn, but have heard that these will just give me miles and miles of swirl marks.

An electric one would be handy though. Anyone else use one regularly?

Your thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've used kitten no.1 polishing wax, and no.2 cut and polish...the wax i've used with an electric buffer and by hand, it came up much better with the electric buffer...had fairly good results with relatively deep scratches with just the no1 polishing wax...with an electric buffer that is...i only put a little bit of wax on the buffer pad, and worked it in very lightly, ie not pressing too hard otherwise i found it sort of 'burnt' the finish a bit...never had any problems with swirl marks either
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i've used kitten no.1 polishing wax, and no.2 cut and polish...the wax i've used with an electric buffer and by hand, it came up much better with the electric buffer...had fairly good results with relatively deep scratches with just the no1 polishing wax...with an electric buffer that is...i only put a little bit of wax on the buffer pad, and worked it in very lightly, ie not pressing too hard otherwise i found it sort of 'burnt' the finish a bit...never had any problems with swirl marks either
Thanks bodes,

How did you get rid of the 'burnt' finish? Have you used no 2 at all?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 'burnt finish, i just put a little bit more polish on and went over it very lightly, that got rid of it. i have used no 2 a bit, but i don't think it polishes up as well as no 1, that could be because i only used it on a resprayed roof...a home job that is...i do have both of them, but find number 1 comes up pretty well
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
the 'burnt finish, i just put a little bit more polish on and went over it very lightly, that got rid of it. i have used no 2 a bit, but i don't think it polishes up as well as no 1, that could be because i only used it on a resprayed roof...a home job that is...i do have both of them, but find number 1 comes up pretty well
Thanks again!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
MRJUCY
Fordless

There are much better polishes around these days then old school aggressive compounds like Kitten.
It's hard to say without seeing the car but usually I would suggest after washing & claying using a decent random orbital sander as a buffer with either Menzerna Intensive polish, Poor Boys SSR 2.5 or Pinnacle XMT 3 with a foam cutting pad to get out all the marks. Then when most of the marks are out follow up with Menzerna Final Finish, SSR 1 or XMT 1 on a polishing pad to really make it shine & then when you're finished use your favorite wax or sealant to protect & add a touch more bling.
The chart on this website gives you an idea of the strengths of equivalent polishes you could try http://danosdetailing.com/products/
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

To give you an idea of the results you can achieve with a bit of work here's a BMW I did a few weeks ago. (sorry don't have any good AU examples.
Yes it has been washed & clayed in this pic

Here is half way through the boot. You can see while the more aggressive polish has removed most of the oxidisation & scratches the shine still isn't that great.

But using a fine polish has smoothed the paint right out so you get an almost flawless finish.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
miitch
orgasmic.

Holy Crap, bet the owner was happy with that!

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

That table was handy Juicy!

I'll cruise down to SuperCheap tomorrow for a look at some other Meguiar's products.

Many thanks,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG