Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #31
EL8TED
It all counts

the problem here in lies that in any form of customer service work, for every one guy who is fairly rational with his claim of an unfair sale, referring to this post, there are ten people who fly off the handle and make that particular person possibly less inclined to make good on the error. And group all customers together.

I work in coles, and have done for some time, and i can say that more often than not customers are a$$holes and even when attempts are made to explain a reason for an error or why it cannot be edited, they simply do not care. However having said that more often than not an arrangment is made because we understand that customers talk, and word travels fast, and to achieve maximum sales goals, where possible customer service and satisfaction is number one priority.

however also Customers are not always right.. they unless working currently in the business they are complaining to have no idea of the day to day basis of crap in that retail outlet. so they need to back off and know they arnt god in these situations and act in an appropriate manner towards the staff.

having said that, if a person is just a d1ck which seems to be the staff at sprints here, and were born into the world with a who cares attitude, then the issue is why is this person remaining within the employment of the outlet.
Old 17-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #32
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL8TED
the problem here in lies that in any form of customer service work, for every one guy who is fairly rational with his claim of an unfair sale, referring to this post, there are ten people who fly off the handle and make that particular person possibly less inclined to make good on the error. And group all customers together.

I work in coles, and have done for some time, and i can say that more often than not customers are a$$holes and even when attempts are made to explain a reason for an error or why it cannot be edited, they simply do not care. However having said that more often than not an arrangment is made because we understand that customers talk, and word travels fast, and to achieve maximum sales goals, where possible customer service and satisfaction is number one priority.

however also Customers are not always right.. they unless working currently in the business they are complaining to have no idea of the day to day basis of crap in that retail outlet. so they need to back off and know they arnt god in these situations and act in an appropriate manner towards the staff.

having said that, if a person is just a d1ck which seems to be the staff at sprints here, and were born into the world with a who cares attitude, then the issue is why is this person remaining within the employment of the outlet.
I work in retail too and agree with some of what you say. More often than not the customers we have the most problems with are ones chasing obscure or hard to get spare parts - we go out of our way to make some calls and look up our suppliers to see if we can get it, it does take time, and when the answer is "sorry we can't get it" after all of that, they crack it and leave. Not much you can do about it.

Most people are good though.
Old 17-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtime25
My old mate used to manage sprint at edwarsdtown and glenelg. I have told him about this....he says look up in phone book Sprints head office and speak to "Chas"..............he OWNS all the sprint shops and tell him.....................you will be surprised at the service you will get...........do yourself and others a favour by doing so........... :1syellow1
Correction he doesn't own all the stores, about half are Franchised, can't remember if this store is a company store or not.
As mentioned though get hold of Chas or if not available get Peter.

Pity how some ppl lack customer service.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #34
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Yup,

I bought some mission front speakers from Harvey Norman cost me $1000 for the 2.
My mate goes to the same store a few weeks later and they have the $1000 ticket on the whole set, Front,rears and centre channel. He goes to pay for it and the salesman says that there's a mistake, the $1000 price ticket is only for the 2 front speakers.
My friend is slightly smart and questions this as the stickered price and the manager is called. Short story manager agrees that they have to sell the complete set for the $1000 sticker price. I'm left thinking he has got bargain of the year, lucky bastard.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #35
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Wow - ya go away for two days and what a range of replies and attitudes turn up......... So i may address a couple if I may.

The sticker was the old price type - only the price on it - three piece sticker that comes apart when you peel it off so it's hard to swap - plus the guy was showing me the available ones and watched me pick it up and say i'd take that one. They then type the product code into the computer and it prices the item for the register.

I work in Customer Service and have done for most of my life and nothing gets up my nose more than poor customer service. There was no poor customer service from the front counter guy - he explained the problem and when i didn't accept that i should just pay more he tried to find a solution. His supervisor on the other hand.............

Front counter work CAN be a pain, with people treating you like ****. Hence, there was no "attitude" involved in the initial exchange with the assistant - i was smply stating that it shouldn't have been my problem that THEY marked the price wrong - I didn't threaten him with going to fair trading and i didn't wave my arms around and shout and yell........I just didn't see (and STILL don't) why i should be penalised for their mistake. I pointed out what my understanding of the law was...... - as for the pay packet analogy - how does that equate. I didn't cause the error - why should i be penalised?? If you are the business owner it's up to you to make sure that things are done right and that your staff have the skills to deal with your customers.

Yes, maybe he did uphold the "letter" of the law but the way he did it has lost them at least one customer. I'm sure that the money lost on this item would have been made up on the brake fluid i bought at the same time....or any one of the myriad of other items i've bought there in the past.

Whether right or wrong, if one of my staff spoke to a customer like he did, there would be a serious chat happening. That's why they call it customer SERVICE.

I mean - we are talking about 5 bucks here - it's not the money, it's the principle. Don't tell me i can have something for one price and then expect me to pay more!!!

And yes - staff attitudes do reflect management attitudes.

So whether you agree with my stance or not, or Sprint's attitude or not.......I'm exercising my rights as a customer to refuse to shop there and to inform other people of my experience.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #36
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe
scanning code of practice...

read fair trade website...

if the item scans up at an incorrect price
you are entitle to this item FREE (within reason)
and each item after that of the same product the correct price applies...

this is either + or - money .....
Scanning code of practice:

a) applies only to supermarkets
b) is voluntary and has only a handful of signatories (bi lo, coles, franklins and woolies)

It's a bit of a 'warm and fuzzy' thing that makes customers feel good.

What applies in the thread starter's story is actually contract law... i.e. contract of sale.

Pharmaceutical Society Of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists is the famous precedent case that applies to this situation (yes, it was a case from the UK... their common law applies to us, although i dont know if our courts are bound to their decisions any more).

The basic jist of it... having a product on display with a price tag falls short of an offer in contract/common law. Rather, it is an invitation to treat.

The customer taking the product to the counter and offering to pay the listed price is the one making the offer. Assuming the shopkeep accepts and consideration (payment) occurs... then you've got a contract of sale. If the shopkeep declines... then no sale has occured, no performance is required from either party.

In no way is a shopkeep legally obliged to sell you an item for the price that is listed... (altho, as one would expect... there's plenty of exceptions and also the trade practices act throws its hat into this ring).

But no legal issue in this instance IMO....

But the guys at that store must have friggen rocks in their heads for:

a) treating a customer like that... a polite "sorry sir, we cant sell it for that price" would have sufficed. No need for the defensive body language etc.
b) turning away a repeat customer over a few measly bucks
c) doing all of this in front of a queue of other potential customers