Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #31
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Hey Zigga, I know where you are coming from (I mean we have only just got rid of the traffic lights on our Freeways !!) Some of the road works have had 2 different speed limits posted for the same bit of road. All the "don't speed" comments where not asked for! People should chill a bit. Dare any one of you here to swear on the bible that you never speed, even accidently.
Even KeepLeft had a decent reply and no triangles.

Mate, radar detectors do work, but they have a lot of variables, all depending on the surroundings and camera angles etc. KA detection is normally good... But sometimes other things are in the way of you picking up there signal. And the boys have a habit of putting them around a bend etc, that will reduce your detectors range.
With Laser alert! You have to be very lucky to slow down in time once you hear the crazy beeps and "LASER!" alert.
As mentioned, you do have to learn your detectors noises etc. before you get the most out of them.

Merrry xmas

John

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately this forum has quite a number of holier than thou wowser idiots.

Never speed. Yeh right! If you are over taking several trucks it is perfectly safe to be on the wrong side of the road for extended periods.

For the benefit of those "experts", the whole of Australia is NOT covered with multi lane freeways and there are many places where there are very few straight lengths of road where you can see far enough to overtake.
Why not wait? Well when a 2 hour trip becomes a 4 hour trip it becomes VERY frustrating.

Still the "experts" will tell you not to speed because it is dangerous. If you cannot handle a car at a high enough speed to overtake quickly then YOU are dangerous and should not be driving at all. Stay off the road and make it safer for others.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #33
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Isn’t the Belltronics Aus/NZ detector Undetectable to any radar detector detector, It’s got no signal leakage so game over for the Authorities. :thebirds:

I know the Bell Sti Driver is and thats the one im getting when in nz next , and its been tested with the most upto date police RDD also all other RDD,s and couldnt be traced.
Old 28-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #34
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

had to laugh at the hypocrites, is hypocracy a universal thing when it comes to internet forums or something?

people are going to drive over the limit, know why? because the limit is too low (possibly because of the lack of the billions in tax surplus put back into our roads).

so it becomes an option of giving away money and demerit points or getting away with it, honestly, which one would you choose?
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #35
smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
I doubt radar detectors are worth the money. The average driver may take 5 years before he actually starts making a saving. : i've been driving for nearly 2 years and haven't been busted once (and i don't drive like grandma) :
Well, I've racked up about $600-$700 in petty fines (not exactly what i'd call dangerous driving) within the space of about 2 years so i'm getting close to getting my money back. you'll find you won't get a fine for ages and then bang, they all happen at once. Its just the roll of the dice, there are people who drive the same as me (slightly over the limit) and have never had a fine!!!
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #36
smiley

Hmm, just looked at this website, most expensive is only about $500

http://www.beltronics.com/radardetectors.html

Edited: Just realised its american in US dollars.
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #37
oneredED
need more boost

I've been driving long enough to be off my P plates for a number of years, and will admit I "occasionally" break the speed limit by "a little" ;) and I have yet to lose a point. I honestly think radar detectors are not worth the money,and I have trialed at least two. If you need some radar detector to tell you there is a camera/cop ahead, then there's 2 things wrong.

Either A) You aren't concentrating enough on the path ahead of you (and the rest of your surroundings) to be even doing the speed limit, let alone speeding if you can't notice the upcoming camera/radar.

Or B) If you cant see the hiding cop car, or the hiding camera, then you shouldnt be speeding at all in that area anyways, as you never know what may instead lie in the gap where that car is hiding...

In my experience, if you learn possible places where a policecar/speed camera can hide, then you will instinctively slow down for these type of areas anyways. Drive with the concentration driving deserves, and you could potentially sit 80kmh over the speedlimit and not get caught (although a grim death is an option), if you were silly enough to do so. Yet so many people fail to see a cop car 3 cars ahead of them and get booked...

EDIT: Just in addition to what I've said, the two units I trialed were good at informing me of upcoming "threats" however they would inform me a second or two after I had spotted them myself...
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #38
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Unfortunately this forum has quite a number of holier than thou wowser idiots.

Never speed. Yeh right! If you are over taking several trucks it is perfectly safe to be on the wrong side of the road for extended periods.

For the benefit of those "experts", the whole of Australia is NOT covered with multi lane freeways and there are many places where there are very few straight lengths of road where you can see far enough to overtake.
Why not wait? Well when a 2 hour trip becomes a 4 hour trip it becomes VERY frustrating.

Still the "experts" will tell you not to speed because it is dangerous. If you cannot handle a car at a high enough speed to overtake quickly then YOU are dangerous and should not be driving at all. Stay off the road and make it safer for others.
Saved me typing it...
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #39
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Saved me typing it...
Just in case my post was mis-interpreted, I completely agree with what flappist has said, I just think that RD's are useless unless you're almost completely asleep or otherwise oblivious to your surroundings. If you drive attentively, then as I said you can speed daily and not get caught (with the system as it is) should that be your aim.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #40
Scott

Chill onered, you are in the clear lol.
Old 29-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #41
coupdy do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
All i'll say is it worth the fine when you get caught using it?? (and you WILL eventually).
They are legal in WA.....you don't need to buy one just sit behind a beema or merc and all the rich pricks have one (they come with the dizzy blonde) and just brake when they do :
That way when you only get a small warning (i.e multinovas) he gets done and your ok :Reverend:
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #42
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also second that method;

Use someone as bait. I do and it works

Nothing quite like seeing a tool speeding (and you doing the same speed, but a good 50meters plus behind) then seeing a red flash up ahead.

Works *every* time and it doesnt cost me 600 bucks for the convenience
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
I also second that method;

Use someone as bait. I do and it works

Nothing quite like seeing a tool speeding (and you doing the same speed, but a good 50meters plus behind) then seeing a red flash up ahead.

Works *every* time and it doesnt cost me 600 bucks for the convenience
Are you so sure about that?

I have told this story before on here.
Back it the early 80's I did exactly what you reckon works 100% of the time. It ended with guns being pointed at me.
Make sure the "tool speeding" is not fleeing from a robbery.

The other little problem with your ever so clever plan is if you are seen speeding from a side road or servo and then chased.

Guess which "tool" is at the back and gets rolled?
Old 29-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #44
Scott

I think the odds of using a getaway car as your discounted radar detector are pretty slim..... like once in someone elses lifetime.
Old 29-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #45
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
If I may so say, I reckon you're an idiot for consciously speeding because you have a tool which helps you detect a percentage of radars.
It's irresponsible and inconsiderate of other drivers too.

Slow down, or frankly, be prepared to die. Speed limits are there to protect fools from killing themselves. I hope your relent and realise that whether you agree with the sign or not, it's there to protect you from yourself, and other drivers from people like you who have a blatant disregard for the rules that make society run.

That is meant to be constructive criticism.
But if the cameras and Radars are in the black/problem spots like the government say they are and the detector makes you slow down there, they are doing good :nutsycuck
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I think the odds of using a getaway car as your discounted radar detector are pretty slim..... like once in someone elses lifetime.
Yeh but the odds of being killed in a car accident are even slimmer, no one has ever done it twice......

It was stated that the "follow" method was 100%. I have shown that it is not. You still have to use your brain.

As far as the other, that is picking up a blue tail, it is not such an uncommon thing. You are zotting down the highway and the coppers are off on a side road, in a servo or whatever and see you. By the time they launch you are down the road so they play catch up.

I have often picked up a coward (another driver who follows) when I am travelling and I don't really care except when the dropkick sits right up my bum. Some people have no brains. I have very good brakes and if I have to stand on the stop peddle because there is a problem ahead then I will wear them.
Old 29-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #47
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you so sure about that?

I have told this story before on here.
Back it the early 80's I did exactly what you reckon works 100% of the time. It ended with guns being pointed at me.
Make sure the "tool speeding" is not fleeing from a robbery.

The other little problem with your ever so clever plan is if you are seen speeding from a side road or servo and then chased.

Guess which "tool" is at the back and gets rolled?
OK, to further clarify my post...

"In the correct circumstances..."

Fortunately, here in WA we don't have much of that kind of idiocy (RE: Bank robberies, drive-offs (that are attended by police patrol cars))

And I do believe the topic in question was avoiding speed measuring devices, not just chasing people for the hell of it. Not much chance of a bank roberry happening anywhere near the aforementioned freeways here in Perth

But thanks for your input

*edit* I notice you are from QLD. Not sure if you have lived in WA, but I can assure you when armed with local road knowledge, the above methods I described are more than adequate I also believe our driving "stereotype" for lack of the correct word is a tad different :P

Last edited by clontarf_x; 29-12-2006 at 11:07 PM.
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #48
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Laser detectors are most effective when linked to laser jammers. Basically an array of LED's that go off when they detect laser. This can give you the extra few seconds to slow down, and he can then get a lock on you travelling at the speed limit. Many jammers only work at close quarters which may make it clear you have a jammer.

In the bad old days of the 80's trucks used to carry radar jammers simular to effect to what fighter aircraft carry. These worked in a simular manner, except most truckies just flicked them on and didn't slow down.

Lasers are less effective against some cars and in some situations. Black cars, with retractable headlights and no front numberplate can apparently be very difficult to lock.

Radar is suseptable to detection (in WA). Radar is improving, for police purposes. But this can be counted somewhat with GPS databases of likely police activity and positions of fix cameras.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #49
Scott

Quote:
It was stated that the "follow" method was 100%. I have shown that it is not. You still have to use your brain.
The "follow" method was described as "Works *every* time" - given the use of some abstract parenthesis (*), I guess it was qualified as not quite "every time".

I use this method - I guess I fit the coward team with the exception of following with a few hundred metres gap to the car I'm using. I don't understand why you would be happy to speed and have people follow you so you can save them a ticket though???
Old 30-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I use this method - I guess I fit the coward team with the exception of following with a few hundred metres gap to the car I'm using. I don't understand why you would be happy to speed and have people follow you so you can save them a ticket though???
Because I am drive as fast or as slow as I believe is safe and appropriate for the time and conditions. I do not rely on others to determine what I do.
If someone is going to follow me there is nothing I can do about it except speed up (dangerous) or slow down (annoying) so I just ignore them. There is no point getting wound up about it although I have been known, in my younger days, to control my speed and timing so I trap them behind caravans or trucks.
There is the slight advantage that they will be the victim if I pick up a blue tail.
Old 30-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #51
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Because I am drive as fast or as slow as I believe is safe and appropriate for the time and conditions. I do not rely on others to determine what I do.
If someone is going to follow me there is nothing I can do about it except speed up (dangerous) or slow down (annoying) so I just ignore them. There is no point getting wound up about it although I have been known, in my younger days, to control my speed and timing so I trap them behind caravans or trucks.
There is the slight advantage that they will be the victim if I pick up a blue tail.
Haha, thats the way.. If you can drive with forward vision you can easily lose the coward behind you

I was following a 4wd the other day, doing about 69 in a 70 zone. I was not realy close, but not far away either. Just about to change lanes and go past the 4wd when the driver slammed on the anchors!! Nearly clipped the back end... WHY, because a patrol unit had a hand held out behind the tree's. As soon as she saw them the anchors went out....... Scared me!

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If any of you guys actually want to try out a detector (in WA of course) then I have an Escort X50 (blue) that is about a year old for sale. It works VERY well but IS detectable by the Stalcar III RDD so I do not use it (I found out the hard way).
I got "the moral champ" to autograph it after a few beers one afternoon so it is a bit unique or maybe a "collectable".

N.B. It is illegal to use this in any state or territory except WA (but it is legal to own or sell in QLD). PM me if you are interested.
Old 31-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #53
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

I also have the Escort X50 and it works very well on the open road picks up unmarked cars from miles away around corners over hills it's not a bad unit but on KA band that detects multinova's you have to be on the the ball as it only gives you 5 seconds notice if you are the only car around,If there is several cars in front of you it will pick it up a bit earlier it also picks them up on the other side of the road 360 degree cover.

Having a detector doesn't mean we all speed around in WA but as John said it only takes 1 second in these cars and you can be way over the limit without knowing it and with double demerit points and fines over the chrissy period it can cost you big time.

Both the Escort and Bell have auto scan and it's best left on that rather than highway you just turn X band off as that is good for nothing. KA band for mutinova and K band for unmarked and marked patrol cars and of coarse Laser for the hand units.

Pop 3 does go off on our detector but i don't think we have that in WA yet i could be wrong and i don't know what it is picking up to make it go off.

The Bell unit that is made for WA conditions works very well as the young'in has that in his Phoon and he leaves that on autoscan and it picks up the multinova heaps better than my Escort unit which is only 1 year old but they do update the camera's and you must have you detector upgraded with new softwear and this can be done by taking it back to the person you brought it off or so they tell me.

The people that make the multinova's and speed camera's also make the Radar Detector's to detect them :

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post