Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Warranty, was reading this on another forum

> about a guy’s experience with Toyota’s after sales service.

Ford could learn a lot from Toyota after sales service buy the sounds of it.

“I've had my 'Lux since April 05. After about 6 weeks, the clutch slipped once. It was starting off with five adults in in on a very steep hill, but in my view should not have happened. Took it back to Toyota. Their workshop manager came for a drive with me and we tried to replicate the problem, but could not. I said, 'well I'm not real happy as I'm about to head off on a big trip and don't want problems like this on it'. He said 'OK, we'll replace the clutch' - which they did.

Other problem was that a steel band kept coming off a CV boot. It was replaced about 4 times. When in Broome, they replaced it again, but it was off again within 50KM. Took it back. They immediatly rang Toyota Head Office and got approval to replace the whole front drive assembly. Couldn't get the parts to Darwin for about a week and I was due to leave before then. So they flew it to Darwin (my next major stop). Broome did a temp repair with tie wire to make sure the boot would not come loose and let dust and water in (I was travelling via GRR and Mitchell plateau). When I was back to phone range, there was a mesage saying my parts were in Darwin. All fixed within 24 hours of getting to Darwin.”

Oh and this Hi-Lux has significant modifications done to it, Including aftermarket Suspension and bigger tyres.

Far cry from the things you read on hear about ford denying warranty cause of a Exhaust or CAI.

I am not a big Toyota fan, but they look like they do the right thing buy their customers when it comes to Warranty problems

Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

This is why Toyota is heading to be the worlds biggest car company!! They may be the benchmark of boredom in models etc but their after market service, from what I hear/read, seems to trump Ford/GM etc!!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
punktured

well from my experiances toyota are just as bad! my girlfriend had problems with her 2001 corolla, while still under warrenty they checked it a few times all coming back with nothing, then once it was out of warrenty they found the problem and charged $300 to fix it, i wasnt happy with that and got em down to $150. turns out their computers they checked the cars was faulty so it didnt pick up the fault before _
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They were also known to replace many a big end in 80 series cruisers that were well and truly out of warranty because they had the decency to admit that this premature engine failure was due to second rate big end bearings they ised for a couple of years in the early-mid 90's. Know 1 bloke who had over 200,000km on the clock, and was 3 years out of warranty and toyota footed the bill for the rebuild, which anyone familliar with this problem will know on a 1-HDT 4.2 TD engine can be anywhere between $7 - $10k!
No questions, no hassles, just did it.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
This is why Toyota is heading to be the worlds biggest car company!! They may be the benchmark of boredom in models etc but their after market service, from what I hear/read, seems to trump Ford/GM etc!!
I could not off said it better myself....

When it is time to upgrade the wife's car, I can give you a guarantee that I will not buy her a new Ford, of any model.... I don't want her to suffer the pain of having to deal with Fords after sales service, and the only reason I am in a Ford XR8 is because there are only 2 Companies in Australia that Build V8 utes, and I don't like IRS on a work ute..... I do carry a lot of gear in the back, and the IRS is crap under load. Which leaves me with Ford.....

Purchasing my BA XR8 was a great moment and thoroughly enjoyed doing the deal with the dealer... Then come time for my first service and warranty repair, and then the joy of the new car was well and truly gone.... I had a real dislike for Ford from then on.....

Worse still I have seen a lady in tears at Sunshine Ford service center after being refused warranty on her BA II XR6......

Ford after sale service is the worst I have ever seen for any after sales.... I now simply refuse to let them touch my car.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have only ever dealt with Ford service advisors and have groan to Loath them, they must take so many unsuspecting people for a ride and even when you are right you are still wrong, You just have to stand there and smile like a J**karse and take it.

I am in the proses of buying a new Ford am looking forward to getting the car, not looking forward to dealing with the F**wits behind the counter at service time but.

Last time I had my car in at Ford service to get a electrical problem fixed, I had to get the old man to go and pick it up, I was that P**ed at them and they way they handled my case I would of snapped if I walked throe that door agene.

The Old man had his 1st service done on his BF XR6 the other week, it’s only done 7200k’s 60% of that hwy driving, and the service cost $275 WTF.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
phantomxr6t

Never had a problem with Surfside Ford on the Goldcoast, 2 new tyres replaced on the GT when it was my fault, And now the front bar needs a respray will be done within a week no questions asked. And when we get services done they bend over backwards for us, Even give us a loan car without asking. We also had the same service in WA at compass Ford.
phantomxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Hally

I don't get any servicing done on my own cars at dealerships, but last week had the oppurtunity to take a a friends BMW 316i (2002 hatchback model) to get a service light checked/cleared. It was showing a blown bulb in the rear, but a;; seem to be working.

I drove into the service area, with no appointment, walked up to the service advisor of the propblem, he grabbed a mechanic and started to look for the problem. After 25 minutes they had removed all bulbs and checked them and found one with the wrong resistance (?) indicating it was dodgy. Replaced the bulb, put everything back together and sent me on my way with no charge, I even got a latte from the receptionist. And this is on a car that cost $41,000 brand new and is out of warranty. From a service point of view I was mightly impressed and if that is the norm can see why people purchase 'prestige' brands when in my mind they fail the cost versus value test.

Cheers,

Hally
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
I don't get any servicing done on my own cars at dealerships, but last week had the oppurtunity to take a a friends BMW 316i (2002 hatchback model) to get a service light checked/cleared. It was showing a blown bulb in the rear, but a;; seem to be working.

I drove into the service area, with no appointment, walked up to the service advisor of the propblem, he grabbed a mechanic and started to look for the problem. After 25 minutes they had removed all bulbs and checked them and found one with the wrong resistance (?) indicating it was dodgy. Replaced the bulb, put everything back together and sent me on my way with no charge, I even got a latte from the receptionist. And this is on a car that cost $41,000 brand new and is out of warranty. From a service point of view I was mightly impressed and if that is the norm can see why people purchase 'prestige' brands when in my mind they fail the cost versus value test.

Cheers,

Hally
They make enough money off every other sucker. Friends had a 7 series which used to attract a base service charge of about $1000 every time it went in for a handbook service.

And after many many poor services they unloaded it and picked up a Benz instead.

When the way a customer is treated by dealers can have so much influence on the way people view the brand and the way word of mouth influences others, its such a wonder that car makers dont have more input and control over dealers!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
When it is time to upgrade the wife's car, I can give you a guarantee that I will not buy her a new Ford, of any model.... I don't want her to suffer the pain of having to deal with Fords after sales service

Worse still I have seen a lady in tears at Sunshine Ford service center after being refused warranty on her BA II XR6......

Ford after sale service is the worst I have ever seen for any after sales.... I now simply refuse to let them touch my car.....
I'm in a similar situation as yourself Jabba. The GF will be buying a car later on in the year and she has her heart set on a new Focus. The car itself is relatively good, however i don't want her going through the hassles of dealing with Fraud service, as experienced by a few of my mates.

I'm slowly talking her out of it.. i'm much rather see her spend a couple grand more and buy something like a Mazda 3 or Subaru Liberty 2.0R which will also retain its value alot better than the Focus anyways.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota are good with warranty because they dont do much of it. My dad bought a brand new LandCruiser TD afew months ago and has since put 30,000kms on it. We cant find a SINGLE thing to report to Toyota for warranty. Quite simply - everything works....

Now I just wish my XR6 Turbo was assembled by Toyota
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and that’s not because the Toyota stuff is stronger, cause it isn’t, it’s just cause it is put together correctly the first time.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
XRQTR
TBA Customs

They do this because they actually value there customers and want them to enjoy the entire experience of owning the vehicle, not just when they're buying it.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Yeah and that’s not because the Toyota stuff is stronger, cause it isn’t, it’s just cause it is put together correctly the first time.
Its got nothing to do with components being stronger, Toyota just has the ability to engineer a car properly.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Toyota has quality all the way in any model.......
I have a 88 SV21 camry.. Auto.. 340000kms. Parts replacement list totals (shocks to be expected), alternator and radiator.

Rest is original... Smoother idle than anything i have ever heard... See a falcon at those Kms... NOT..
Spoke to dealer once, record he has seen is 450000kms single auto and motor...
I intend to break it...

Ford and GM need to take a long hard look at themselves, and a few hundred looks at how Toyota and Mitsu do things....

I quite like my Fords, they never go to a dealer, ever ever ever. If something goes wrong that I need fixed i do it myself.. Best customer service.. lol...

If its major - it goes in, and I give them the enth degree....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

This is typical of what my friends have experienced also with toyota..Great service on warranty items.
Myself my hilux i never had any warranty issues at all..It is a great vehicle,very happy with it.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a full engine rebuild on an Explorer V6 that had crapped a timing chain tensioner and the customer had driven it untill it stopped ignoring the death rattles. The car was out of warranty and Ford paid for it.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #18
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get out, no way!!!!!!!!

Ford actually payed for the work to be done on one of these bad boys :party3:

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, the tensiner for the chain on the left hand cam was the culprit, chain jumped some teeth and pistons smacked the valves a new angle.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #20
RATT

Quote:
> about a guy’s experience with Toyota’s after sales service.

Ford could learn a lot from Toyota after sales service buy the sounds of it.

“I've had my 'Lux since April 05. After about 6 weeks, the clutch slipped once. It was starting off with five adults in in on a very steep hill, but in my view should not have happened. Took it back to Toyota. Their workshop manager came for a drive with me and we tried to replicate the problem, but could not. I said, 'well I'm not real happy as I'm about to head off on a big trip and don't want problems like this on it'. He said 'OK, we'll replace the clutch' - which they did.

Other problem was that a steel band kept coming off a CV boot. It was replaced about 4 times. When in Broome, they replaced it again, but it was off again within 50KM. Took it back. They immediatly rang Toyota Head Office and got approval to replace the whole front drive assembly. Couldn't get the parts to Darwin for about a week and I was due to leave before then. So they flew it to Darwin (my next major stop). Broome did a temp repair with tie wire to make sure the boot would not come loose and let dust and water in (I was travelling via GRR and Mitchell plateau). When I was back to phone range, there was a mesage saying my parts were in Darwin. All fixed within 24 hours of getting to Darwin.”

Oh and this Hi-Lux has significant modifications done to it, Including aftermarket Suspension and bigger tyres.

Far cry from the things you read on hear about ford denying warranty cause of a Exhaust or CAI.

I am not a big Toyota fan, but they look like they do the right thing buy their customers when it comes to Warranty problems
So which forum was this from?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #21
Miller
It's Millertime!

My pop, 80 years old, still has all his marbles, still has his license, just bought himself a new toyota echo to get him too and from the shops near his house. Now when his car is due for a service, they send people out to pick his car up, they take it and service it and drop it back to his house, now THAT is customer service
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it also comes down to the individual service centre/dealer, i can name and shame half a dozen ford dealers but go to some areas and theyd offer you a beer, chair and aircon.... any dramas bring it back have a look (if under warranty) fix it and you never go back for a warranty claim again..but will go back for services

if everyone named the excellent ford dealers it wouldnt look so bad but its mostly ever this dealer did this and that.... when GMH or toyota gave me this , fixed this....etc
thats my 2 cents

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #23
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RATT> a 4WDing, camping forum it’s my other Hobby.

Maybe we should start up a thread about the best ford dealers to go to in each state, To held give people an idea about who is the best dealer to see for services and car issues, who dose the Ford name proud.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

In the case of a warranty claim, who pays for it, dealer or manufacturer? Who approves the claim?
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:

Maybe we should start up a thread about the best ford dealers to go to in each state, To held give people an idea about who is the best dealer to see for services and car issues, who dose the Ford name proud.
That is actually a better idea than you might think, at least when the dodgey mungrels stop getting work in they might change there ways and actually go that extra step to give some kind of customer service.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post