Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Sykotik
Starter Motor

Default A little more bassy...

I got 2 six inch speakers on the back dash of my car. They sit below a carpeted blank of wood. The sound they produce is quite good, crystal clear which is something my old stock speakers just didn't do for me. The only problem is, that the tweeters kill the bass a little. I want the sound the speakers put out to be a little more bassy, however I don't want to relocate the tweeters or purchase a subwoofer.

As I stated before, at the moment I have a plank of carpeted ply wood sitting atop the speakers. I am not keen on cutting out holes where the speakers are in the wood, as a work mate of my dads pretty much re-built the car and I want to leave it in somewhat of the same condition as it is. I'm just wondering whether it is true that giving the sound waves room to move (i.e. removing the wood and replacing it with a plank of wood with holes cut out for the speakers) will give it that extra bass that the speakers are capable of. I assume that this is the case as the aftermarket 4 inchers I have in the front aren't obstructed by anything and produce quite good bass for their size, whereas the rear ones could be a little better.

Sykotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
feebs
BrwnBstd

Hey

cars are the worst arena for producing decent sound...

crapola

If you want true quality sound, set up your living room accordingly.

For your car, go a subwoofer and a bridgeable crossover amp.

Much much less mucking around and best way to have some sort of respectable noise.

Having a sub does not mean being a knob at the traffic lights, a single 12 in sub is a decent size box will give a nice sound in the car and forget about getting bass from your 6 in speakers.. in a car, a six inch speaker IS a tweeter..

You can set it up to be able to remove the sub box and amp when finished with the car

good luck
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Sykotik
Starter Motor

Quote:
and forget about getting bass from your 6 in speakers.. in a car, a six inch speaker IS a tweeter..
That isn't actually true. You can get 6 inch speakers without the tweeter option. My speakers in my stereo system which I wired to my PC have no tweeters and they are 6 inch.
Sykotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
feebs
BrwnBstd

6 in speakers wired up to the pc.... ? pumpin!

I am sorry to make fun here.

The point I was trying to get across is that cars are crap for bass, you are best off to start with a 12 inch sub setup, rather that much around with 6 inch speakers tring to achieve low frequency sound.

In a house, there are many systems where teh bass drivers are made up of several 6 or 8 inch drivers, and this is fine.

But in a car it simply does not go, a pair of eights (equivalent to a single 10 inch driver) would be the absolute minimum in a vehicle.

Cheapest starting point is a single 12 inch sub in a box.. just bight bullet and do it, you will not regret it.
Old 25-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
Sykotik
Starter Motor

Nah, i haven't got the cash on hand to spend on a sub. Got Uni fees and such to pay for. But thanks anyway for your input. However I just wanted to clarify that the speakers that I have wired up to my comp aren't as crap as you may believe they are. They are 6 way with 100W RMS which provides me with better sound than most 5.1 surround sound systems. Believe it or not, I have made comparisons to my friends' systems.
Old 25-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
feebs
BrwnBstd

I belive you..

good luck with uni, you will finish.. and earn enough to set up some very nice sound in you car huh?
Old 25-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Get sound deadening

Good quality 6.5inch + sound deadening can create a decent amount of bass
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Sykotik
Starter Motor

yes indeed. Thanks. :
Old 25-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

What speakers are they, are they 2 way or 3 way? 6" speakers arent known for their bass but I had a set of 6" 3 ways in my ef that had a deeper cone than normal and gave great bass (which what they were designed for) and were still very clear in the tweeters.

Lower frequency sound travels through objects much better so uncovering your speakers will probably give you the opposite affect because the higher frequency sound (tweeter) will be louder. The sub in my BA is mounted inside the parcel shelf or you mount them in the boot so bass has less trouble travelling through stuff.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
PoMmYwOG

u can usually get a nice amount of bass from 6inch speakers, but depends on the quality and power of them. The best ones ive used are the MTX 6inch speakers, they give good bass and very clear sound... Im more inclined to getting the split(or component) system than a 6 inch though(6inch woofer with separate tweeter and crossovers) as i think its a better sounding setup...but if u want alot of bass then the only way would be a sub.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Sykotik
Starter Motor

Quote:
What speakers are they, are they 2 way or 3 way? 6" speakers arent known for their bass but I had a set of 6" 3 ways in my ef that had a deeper cone than normal and gave great bass (which what they were designed for) and were still very clear in the tweeters.

Lower frequency sound travels through objects much better so uncovering your speakers will probably give you the opposite affect because the higher frequency sound (tweeter) will be louder. The sub in my BA is mounted inside the parcel shelf or you mount them in the boot so bass has less trouble travelling through stuff.
They are 3 way. I actually heard something that low frequency sounds travel better in open air as they can somewhat echo, this giving a more thumpy bass.

There is only one issue I have with installing a subwoofer in my car other than the cost of it all. That is that I have a fairly small car (1985 Ford GC2 Meteor Ghia) which as a gas bottle in the back (yes, its dual fuel). So it will restrict even more boot space in my car (not that I haven't got that little right now anyway).

Quote:
u can usually get a nice amount of bass from 6inch speakers, but depends on the quality and power of them. The best ones ive used are the MTX 6inch speakers, they give good bass and very clear sound... Im more inclined to getting the split(or component) system than a 6 inch though(6inch woofer with separate tweeter and crossovers) as i think its a better sounding setup...but if u want alot of bass then the only way would be a sub.
I have 200W 6" 3-way speakers at the rear with an RMS value of 40 and a 10mm tweeter. At the front I have a pair of 150W 4" 2-way speakers with an RMS value of 35 and a 10mm tweeter. Neither set has a deep cone, which might account for the fact that it lacks such great bass.
Old 25-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

go to supercheap and get a $89 single 12inch sub in a box..
tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Sykotik
Starter Motor

yeah but won't i need an amp?
Old 25-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Yes, you'll need an amp if your car didn't have a factory one.

I have a single Sony 12" sub in a box and the factory 10" sub. Both are powered from a 4 channel 1600W amp. I used to just run the 12" from the factory amp but it was pretty weak.

When I got a new amp the bass came alive. With the two subs together, I run the amp with about a third of gain. Any more and it's just too much. Sounds great inside the car and my rear view mirror shakes ridiculously when loud (which I like to use as an indication that it's working!) but outside the car it doesn't travel very far unlike some crazy setups around here.

I've reached my limit for my sound / bass. Happy with it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Sykotik
Starter Motor

How big is the amp? and also does the size of the box that the subwoofer is in effect the sound it puts out?
Old 25-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
PoMmYwOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Yes, you'll need an amp if your car didn't have a factory one.

I have a single Sony 12" sub in a box and the factory 10" sub. Both are powered from a 4 channel 1600W amp. I used to just run the 12" from the factory amp but it was pretty weak.

When I got a new amp the bass came alive. With the two subs together, I run the amp with about a third of gain. Any more and it's just too much. Sounds great inside the car and my rear view mirror shakes ridiculously when loud (which I like to use as an indication that it's working!) but outside the car it doesn't travel very far unlike some crazy setups around here.

I've reached my limit for my sound / bass. Happy with it.

i replaced my factory sub with a Polk audio sub and it sounds alot better now...my mate can hear me coming from bottom of his street,lol Im running it off the std amp too...it will do for me until i buy a more powerful amp for my boxed 12inch.

Sykotik the size of sub enclosedoes play a part as too little and it will sound crap, too big will sound crap. Plus different subs are ported or non ported...the papers that comes with the sub usually have the required volume and port needed for that sub...best to stick to those specs.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Name brands like Pioneer, Clarion etc. make Slimline subwoofers that only need around 1/3 size enclosure as a normal subwoofer. That might be an option for you...... local shop here sells the Pioneer ones for about $149 I think.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #18
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

in my car im running 6" only until i get a sub and amp, but they will produce enough bass to shake the reveiw mirror around without sounding crappy.
they are JVC.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote