Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
BradXR8

Question Tracking down the current owner of a car

Hi Guys,
My father purchased a near new 1979 Monza Red XD S-pac Falcon back in 1980 with only 20,000k's on it, he sold it around 1990ish with around 250,000 - 300,000km on it back then, so there is a good chance its no longer around. I know this probably doesn't mean much, but the original number plates for it are not available/still in use according to the RTA - My Plates website. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to track down whether that car is still around and who the current owner is and how I would go about doing that as I would love to buy it and rebuild it.

Cheers,
Brad

BradXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Got any mates that are cops?
They would be able to tell you for sure but using the cop computers for what you want is a big no no even if your intentions are good!
But I do know that rules are meant to be broken right!!!
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possibly use the VIN number in some avenue of your search. REVS check maybe. It won't tell you the owner but would bring up something out of the norm.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

i doubt it, but you could always try going into vicroads and explaining what you're talking about doing........see weather they would be able to pass on your details to the current owner...
like i said thats a long shot, but if it means that much to you it'd be worth trying at least
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More of a security thing too I suppose. If you give a place someone's rego/VIN and you could get their personal details it would probably used more for a bad purpose rather than a legit purpose.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

yes, but as madnc 8 said, if they passed on Bradxr8's details, he wouldn't actually have any details himself. if the current owner then wanted to contact him, all well and good
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
yes, but as madnc 8 said, if they passed on Bradxr8's details, he wouldn't actually have any details himself. if the current owner then wanted to contact him, all well and good
yep that was my point exactly......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Don't count on the RTA people to go out of their way to help you out.. As basic as it seems to you the person behind the counter will probably have a "its not my problem" attitude, and if they even want to help you out they will refer it on to the boss, who will then have the "Its not our problem" attitude.....

I was almost wiped off the face of the earth my a ute pulling onfront of me. After leaving 10 metres of skid marks all the happened to my car was a smashed indicator and a few scratches on the guard from colliding with the rear of the tray.....

The guy tried to do a runner in the ute, I chased and caught the scum bag after 4 km. He gave over his details and promised to fix what had happened. The ute was a work ute but I failed to record the company as I took him at face value.

The guy dodged every phone call, and eventually I had had enuf of chasing him. Went to the Cops, no help, went to the RTA, no help.

All I was asking was that either the RTA or a Cop would punch in the number plate and call the boss of the business DIRECTLY to tell them what had happened....

Was resolved eventually... but with NO help from the people you would assume can / should help.

Geeze what would it have cost them to make a 1 minute phone call???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Ring up and report it stolen. Then hang around the cop shop till they track it down.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last edited by GXL078; 26-01-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: dubbel post and can't speel
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rego authorities have what they call "privacy issues". Really helpful to protect criminals who move cars interstate and re-establish the regos, but not for much else. Be careful who you buy a used car off. Be carefull who you sell a car to: When you get "you don't need to know his/my name" (of the buyer) from both him and the person of the same ethnicity at the finance company you know its suss. Look out for them, the world is full of them, and so is You Tube.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
The rego authorities have what they call "privacy issues". Really helpful to protect criminals who move cars interstate and re-establish the regos, but not for much else. Be careful who you buy a used car off. Be carefull who you sell a car to: When you get "you don't need to know his/my name" (of the buyer) from both him and the person of the same ethnicity at the finance company you know its suss. Look out for them, the world is full of them, and so is You Tube.
Christ you spill some dribble..:
What has this to do with helping the guy find his dads old car?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
DTFRMONT

The Privacy act would prevent VicRoads, RTA, whatever from giving out this information out to you. For the person behind the counter, if they were caught accessing & giving out client information without authorisation, the loss of their job would be the least of their worries, they would proably be up before the courts as well. Put it this way, would you want Vic roads to give out your personal details to anyone who wanted it?
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #14
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Can just see them passing on your details.
Current owner gets a note about their 550,000kms rusted XD S-pac that someone really wants to buy back. They scratch their head, screw up the note and throw it over their shoulder. Try to get in XD & door handle #1,056 breaks. reach inside window & open door from inside. Try to start. no go, get out of car and walk to shop instead :P
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote