Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
goldfire

Default Self Learn mechanics?

Heya everyone,

I'm desperate to learn mechanics, I've always loved it ever since my first real mechanical experiance with my dad pulling apart his XB (i think) Falcon engine and transmission and putting it all back together again.

I really really want to go to TAFE and get one of them Mature Age Apprenticeships in the industry but can't due to the financials (I've heard the wages where utter crap) and i have responsibilites and a current full time job.

So i was wondering, is there a way for me to have my cake and eat it to?, currently i'm trying to fix a good friend of mines car (see here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=85184 please if you can help)

And truth be told my knowledge is extremely limited to what i learnt from work experiance at MIDAS in adelaide and from what i've learnt from this site (i read pretty much everything and try to learn from it, has saved me some heartache with my AU)

So i was wondering what would you fine ppl do?

Currently i'm scouring google to try and find a diagram/schematic/location of the water pump for an EA falcon so i can remove it cos it's cactus.

Any help you could give i would deeply appreciate as mechanics has always been a real love for me but now i fear i'll never get to get into it like i want to.

Thanks very much in advance and i hope you have a great day.

goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
chris-cool

Is it possible for you to do Tafe part time? I know that some Tafes do night courses for people who have full time jobs?
I said "I'll have one of those!"
chris-cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
goldfire

physically possible.. well not really.. i'm on a rotating roster so that sorta stuffs things a bit.. then there's the wife to deal with.. but hey if you wanna take her on good luck to you sir!.

maybe i'll just have to be content with lurking car forums and reading lots and lots of books :(
goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

sounds like a difficult thing for you to do, personally i just learn as i go, the more i tinker the more i develop a better general understanding how everything under the hood works.

plus the internet makes it so easy, youve got sites to explain in full detail how specific components function, you can order rare workshop manuals online, and youve got forums like this to give you heaps of info and support.

and yes, apprentice wages are absolute shite.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'm pretty sure that there is one of those on line tafe's that you can do everything by correspondence. Either that or you may have to go in for one day a week. Thompson's or something like that IIRC.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Wally
XP Coupe

Go to the wreckers and buy a clapped out 3 or 4 pot motor with transaxle, buy a workshop manual and rebuild it.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
gotanxr6

mate keep reading books and asking questions whether you think they are
stupid or not.there`s a saying i was told when i was an apprentice.it is "a person who hasnt made mistakes hasnt made anything" and man its true.
good luck to you mate
Dean
gotanxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote