Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Compression Loss

Hi all
I just got a bit of bad news tonight. I had a feeling that something was a bit off after the last couple of poor showings i have had at the track, and i was right. It turns out that i have lost 60% of the compression in my engine. How does this come about? Would it be because i have a heavy foot, or do i just have a Friday afternoon motor? I am a little disappointed, but i guess its no ones fault but my own. Is there any way i can redeem my motor, or is that it for it?
Cheers
Evan

p.s. Yes Woosha, you were right! :P

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Engine bits wear out - simple as that. Every engine needs a rebuild at some stage, or replacement. It's probably the EF lid that's done it - made the engine feel older than it really is. LOL.

The good news is that turbos like low compression!

Seriously, you can pick up a second hand AU engine for around $600 (talk to FTG, or just search on ebay), then just have to get it installed. Or get a rebuild for around $3k to $5K for something half decent (maybe mild cam, bit of headwork, better pistons/rings etc) - actually if you get it rebuilt, may as well drop the compression ratio properly and bolt on a turbo. Not much change out of $10k though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I will have an I6 motor for sale within a month. Runs very well, always serviced Mobil1 oil and premium fuel. PM me if you like.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

This must have happened pretty quickly then. To pull 120+rwkw late last year means you certainly were not losing compression at that time.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sorry to hear the news Evan.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Not good news, but can i ask what is the actual problem? did someone do a cyl leak down test and tell you what the issue is ie, rings or valves not seating 100%, maybe just a reco head will set you off again.
I have done engines at work with over 200k on them that come in for a headgasket and the valves are usually never seating 100%, i new valve job and it will still have about 90% of original comp as no rings seal 100%.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

AU i6 engines are everywhere.. Don't fret about it.. A good set of leads and plugs will cost you half as much as a 2nd hand engine does..

I pay $500 inc. GST and just bought another 2 yesterday. One has 46xxx and the other 63xxx klms.. Great value. 2 engines delivered for 1k

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
AU i6 engines are everywhere.. Don't fret about it.. A good set of leads and plugs will cost you half as much as a 2nd hand engine does..

I pay $500 inc. GST and just bought another 2 yesterday. One has 46xxx and the other 63xxx klms.. Great value. 2 engines delivered for 1k
Whats the reason for stocking up?

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I like to put a fresh engine into my cabs when they retire.. I usually sell them to my own drivers and for 5 hundred bucks + 3 hours fitting it is a nice bonus to make sure they have that tight feel..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason i asked was when i got home from work last night my old man hit me with this news. I don't know if he got it tested or anything like that. I did, however, call my mechanic this morning to ask what the deal was, and he had no idea what i was talking about!!
The only reason i believed him was because that last couple of times i have been on the track it has pulled really bad numbers. At the time it was put down to the conditions though. But as Casper mentioned, only three months or so ago it pulled 121rwkW after an edit. Hence why i am so puzzled! Is there an easy way of testing this to see how the motor is going, or do i need to go and see my mechanic?

Evan
Old 09-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Thanks for the replies guys. The reason i asked was when i got home from work last night my old man hit me with this news. I don't know if he got it tested or anything like that. I did, however, call my mechanic this morning to ask what the deal was, and he had no idea what i was talking about!!
The only reason i believed him was because that last couple of times i have been on the track it has pulled really bad numbers. At the time it was put down to the conditions though. But as Casper mentioned, only three months or so ago it pulled 121rwkW after an edit. Hence why i am so puzzled! Is there an easy way of testing this to see how the motor is going, or do i need to go and see my mechanic?

Evan
like neisha said you can get a leak down test done ,this will let you know whats going on .

just remember when running at the drags your times will vary a fair bit depending on conditions .its not uncommon to loose 2/3mph and .4/.5 of a sec in ET's going from winter to summer.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it using oil?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Dont Tell me where not going to run each other at Heathcote now evan ,,,

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will check the oil tomorrow, but i don't think it is. Would that be an indicator of compression loss? I will try and get a test done tomorrow if i can, if not next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Dont Tell me where not going to run each other at Heathcote now evan ,,,
Well Daniel, if the motor does turn out to be shagged, then h'm afraid that wouldn't be much of a match up then would it? But if all goes well then its on like Donkey Kong buddy!!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #15
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

good luck man, i hope its nothing serious that a head job wouldnt fix.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its using a fair bit of oil is and its not leaking you could bet its pretty tired, but usually if they use excessive oil they also blow some blue smoke, some times if its a small amount of blue smoke that clears after a while, thats worn valve guides /stem seals if it blows smoke all the time rings are sad as well, thats my understanding of it anyway, someone will correct me if i`m wrong no doubt :yeees:,compression test will tell, if the engine gets cooked (overheated)that will suck the life out of the rings as well,
good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that mik. I did check the oil, and the dip stick is actualy over full, and the oil was changed over 2000kms ago. So it doesn't look like it is using any oil. But you did mention overheating, and that reminded me of a bit of an incident that happened a while ago. I blew the top radiator hose on the way to work, and didn't notice until the car actually cut out on me. I ended up almost emptying the radiator, as i had kept driving with no hose for about ten minutes. But my mechanic checked it and he said it was fine, and it was over a year ago anyway.
I think i am just being paranoid. I will try and get a comp test anyway, just so i feel better!

Evan
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

actually we should be ok in think these, au`s have the fail safe cooling..... forgot about that, but anyway it sounds like another issue to me, not using oil, no smoke will something small and cheaper i think ,
cheers