Mitsubishi Evo 81 64.29%
Subaru Wrx Sti 45 35.71%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #61
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I agree completley about the STi, however, sad fact is that Evo's are driven by much the same people.

I would never buy either car, but personally I'd choose the STi. Subaru make far superior quality vehicles to Mitsubankrupt and the new 2.5 version has the torque to make Evo's cry. If only we got the full 220kW 400Nm version they got in the USA, rather then out half-a***d 206kW 392Nm effort, the Evo would get slaughtered.
I wouldn't have thought the US market got a 220kW version given their fuel is worse than ours?

Where did you get this info Steff?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #62
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
I wouldn't have thought the US market got a 220kW version given their fuel is worse than ours?

And the Japs use the EJ20 as far as I know so I don't think it's a JDM car. Maybe that's just the STi's?
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #63
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

They got a 220kW 2.5 STi in 2003 or something, way before we got the 2.5 engine. And their fuel is not worse then ours, ours is worse then theirs.

US Regular, by US measuring standards = 87 octane
Our 91 RON, by US measuring standards = 86.75 octane

US Premium, by US measuring standards = 93 octane
Our 98 RON, by US measuring standards = 92.25 octane

They also have some servo's that sell higher stuff, 95 and such, by their measuring standard.

As for their STi...

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview....mmand=overview

Subaru USA's own site.

http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/S...preza_WRX_STi/
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #64
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there you go. Didn't know that :

Maybe that's why it's cheap to get a US EJ257 short block.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #65
kooky
WRX terrorist

Thanks Steff ;)

Closed Deck 2.5 is what you need Mitch......
Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #66
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Why is there a poll on 2 non Ford cars on a Ford forum?

Id go the Evo. Looks better than the STi. Ive never driven either, couldnt afford to buy either and definitely wouldnt want to have to pay for insurance for either lol.

Is the Evo X out yet? Wern't previous EVOs stripped down to make them lighter and have race bred suspension. Dunno if I could live with that every day. Be great for a track fang though!.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #67
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
A friend bought her dads new WRX to church the other night and she lets me drive everything It wasn`t much faster than her VTEC Honda Prelude. I was very dissapointed.

STI on the other hand is suposed to make the normal WRX look like a peice of junk
: : : : : :

:MrT_anim:

Evo for me... The STI's are always great but the Evo has that harder edge that appeals to the racer in me...

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #68
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks Steff ;)

Closed Deck 2.5 is what you need Mitch......
What Steffo said, makes RexNero look even more stupid re the WRX tuning :

What is the WRX standard block? I hear alot about Liberty RS closed deck but not so much about WRX/STi blocks.

I'm still very new to these cars. Still haven't found the sparkplugs :. I found the BOV and the turbo though :

Is there anyone here who could discuss the EVO in a bit more detail rather than vote?

BTW there are two polls because some people including myself thought that the oringinal one could be misleading as WRX and EVO aren't competitors. It's EVO and STi. Yes there is a big difference!

I didn't think we needed a new thread though and no one asked for a new poll.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #69
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GLI
Why is there a poll on 2 non Ford cars on a Ford forum?

Id go the Evo. Looks better than the STi. Ive never driven either, couldnt afford to buy either and definitely wouldnt want to have to pay for insurance for either lol.

Is the Evo X out yet? Wern't previous EVOs stripped down to make them lighter and have race bred suspension. Dunno if I could live with that every day. Be great for a track fang though!.
becuase the 1st one was spose to be closed.

The Evo x is out 2008
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #70
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
They got a 220kW 2.5 STi in 2003 or something, way before we got the 2.5 engine.
U.S got the 2.5L in 2004 (V9)
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #71
RS027
Perth XR5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuGoStaR
Ah good old 22B, a fantastic car.
MITCHAY I have seen two that were for sale in the trading post here im Melb, and they were $39k and $47 each. So you can find reasonably priced ones.

God I would love to have that car...

By the way, I voted Evo. It's a no brainer.
Only 4 22B's were impoted into Australia. 1 stayed at Subaru Aust. I doubt 2 were for sale in vic for that price.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #72
kooky
WRX terrorist

There was a special order one built to the specs of the 22B owner purchased a 2-door STi and had it stripped and re-built with all genuine 22B gear, rumoured to be worth 150K on top of the 2-door STi donor car purchase.

Ill just hunt up a couple of pics ;)
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #73
kooky
WRX terrorist

Here are the pics

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #74
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

haha, Nice integra:P

EDIT:
my mate just sent me some pics of the new STI

The pic from the front reminds me of the new astra

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #75
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be unveiled in two months. Until then I won't believe any photos

Can't wait

22B :sm_drool:
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #76
WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Is there anyone here who could discuss the EVO in a bit more detail rather than vote?
What do you want to know Mitchay? I own a modified Evo IX that I use pretty much exclusively for track events/motorkhanas and the odd fang in the hills.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #77
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Nice one Kooky.... thats also the only time a VTEC powered Honda's going to be passing it too I'd say ;)
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #78
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"
Wink

Hmmm. So that means that all of the V8’s and turbos that I’ve passed in 30 odd fun days, drive days, training days, sprints and super sprints have either had major mechanical problems or fcuktards for drivers? I’m not saying that my VTEC will necessarily beat you, but it WILL keep a standard V8 Commodore or Falcon very honest and it has surprised a lot of people.

Back to the topic at hand. I can remember doing a stinking hot sprint years ago with a 2 lap format, the first timed lap was with a standing start and the second lap was a flying lap. This forced everyone to accelerate quickly when the timing lights went out. Most of the rear wheel drives went sideways off the line painting the track with rubber like Mr Squiggle and the front wheel drives (including me) had the front end thumping looking for traction off the line. There was an Evo 6.5 up there and it just took off from the line leaving faint marks on the track from all 4 wheels, very impressive. I’ve also attended a couple of WRX club days and a well driven STi can be a weapon and a half.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #79
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC
What do you want to know Mitchay? I own a modified Evo IX that I use pretty much exclusively for track events/motorkhanas and the odd fang in the hills.
Anything and everything. Mate whatever you feel like because it has been pretty one sided in the discussion :
Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #80
WRC

Well how about this then.

I took my stock Evo IX out to a Barbagello track day last December. The only modification it had was R-Spec rubber. At the same track day was an 06 STi with $6k in DMS coilovers (the 50mm stuff), plus R-Specs, plus a cat back exhaust system along with his back seats out. Said STi was piloted by an experienced punter who's won a number of competitive events.

He managed a 58.52 on the short track. My first ever Barbagello track day (and second in total for my entire life), I managed a 59.38. An instructor got in my my car and peeled off a 58.60 with both of us in the car. His comment on getting out was: "Why would anyone bother using an STi for this sort of thing when you can buy an Evo that is this quick straight out of the box?"

Another guy who may be on this forum (hi Ben ) for all I know, has an F6 ute that was pumping 280rwkw out on his last outing at Barbs. His best on stock supension and tyres was a 1.01 something. For reference a stock IX probably only puts out about 160kW at all four. Be interesting to see what he runs this coming track day as I believe he's turned up the wick even more and has some decent suspension and tyres.

They may not be the best car in the world, but Evos are pretty damn good value for money in their price bracket.

I'm looking foward to going back myself as I've done a few things myself since the last track day and I'm now putting down about 200kW at the wheels.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #81
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the pig is a bit of a pig : Subaru have gone for mass market now I reckon, hence why the cars aren't neccesarily getting quicker.

No longer the cult they once were, whilst EVO has remained a cult car. Should be interesting when they bring the GSR back.

Had an EVO 8 or 9 (It had the fins on the back window) flog the absolute **** out of me. Fair enough he was modded and mine was stock but **** it was fast.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #82
WRC

Well as I've advanced in years I very rarely do the traffic light grand prix thing, but the other night I actually had a go with a modded WRX from a stand still onto one of the entry ramps of the Mitchell freeway here in Perth. It was me then <crickets> then the WRX.

Still Evo's aren't really about straight line speed. The v8s have it all over us for that. They are about handling. The electronic diffs in these things are amazing.

Fins on the back could have been either an 8 or a 9. The Vortex Generators fit both. Trick to telling a 9 from the rear is the rear diffuser at the bottom of the rear bumper.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #83
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen many EVOs and many WRXs hand a V8 it's **** : But yeah they are no way intended for that hence the shorter gearing as well. Made for corners and you can quickly get out of them.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #84
WRC

That's mainly because of the advantage of 4wd off the line, but in rolling acceleration some of the current crop of Fords/Holdens are damn scary. For example the F6 I mentioned above does an 11.8 1/4. That's waaaaaay faster than my Evo could do. I haven't had a chance to run it down the strip, but I figure if I get everything perfect I can do maybe mid 12s max.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #85
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC
That's mainly because of the advantage of 4wd off the line, but in rolling acceleration some of the current crop of Fords/Holdens are damn scary. For example the F6 I mentioned above does an 11.8 1/4. That's waaaaaay faster than my Evo could do. I haven't had a chance to run it down the strip, but I figure if I get everything perfect I can do maybe mid 12s max.
You can make an 8 or T6 go fast in a line but can you make it handle like a T4? The thing that ****es me off in the EVO WRX/STi debate is that the boxer should handle better since it sits lower and is more balanced ala Porsche but still gets its butt kicked all over the place :
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #86
Aeron
DJR Fan

EVO FTW!! I love 'em.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote