Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
BOF Cross8

Default Switched Camps

Hello,

After a few years in the dark side, I have traded the Cross8 and purchased a AWD Territory TS.

What a change!!

After spending several years with the Cross8 and getting into the Territory I can report the following.

The AWD system in the Territory is so far ahead of the system in the X8 that they can't really be compared, drove along the beach yesterday, the same beach I have driven along many times before in the X8 and the X8 was always applying the brakes, traction control on, as the system creeked and groaned along and unable to be turned off, the territory system did not even come on and I was not left wishing I could turn it off until I really got into it and then I have the luxury of an "off" switch which was great.

The ride is not so trucklike however to be fair I am not comparing apples with apples here (ute with wagon)

The gearbox (4 speed) in the TS feels like it came out of a spaceship, the X8 felt like I had a guy swinging an axe changing gears.

The fuel consumption of the TS is actually worse than the X8 and by a significant amount, on the road the X8 was good for an average of around 11.8 - 12.0 per 100kms (after edit), at the same speed the TS is up around 12.8-13.2 which isnt all that good and actually significantly worse than I expected.

Getting used to the engine in the TS is the hardest part, from an Edited LS1 to a stock IL6 it feels like mmmmm doesnt feel too damn good at all, taking off from the lights the territory is like trying to move a ship and until around 3000rpm they just do not want to move, not to mention the lack of V8 rumble (although only just)

All in all, very happy with the Territory and do no regret the change for a second.

Now a Territory with an LS1 up front. NICE! :

BOF Cross8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOF Cross8
Hello,

OR a Hairdryer!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe you should have looked at the Territory Turbo... Only be missing the V8 rumble then.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Welcome aboard!! I am sure you will never look back. The Territory was ground up designed sourcing Falcon parts for cost but a lot of thought went into it. The X8 was a cheap band aid fix for a market segment Holden needed to enter.
Old 15-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Welcome aboard!! I am sure you will never look back. The Territory was ground up designed sourcing Falcon parts for cost but a lot of thought went into it. The X8 was a cheap band aid fix for a market segment Holden needed to enter.
No offence to the original poster, but cars like the X8 (and equivalents/derivaties) were simply demonstrating that Holden could design the biggest piece of crap on earth and their marketing department could sell anything to the generally one-eyes blind Holden devotee, who bought them without question.

I think only now are Holden drivers starting to realise they have been served with inferior products and are waking up to what else is currently in the market.

If he thinks the TS is good (which it is a bloody good car) he should try the same model with a 6 speed auto... Nearly feels like a different car. Or a Terry with the turbo. Everything a quick toorak tractor should be.

Last edited by arm79; 15-02-2007 at 12:48 PM.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
No offence to the original poster, but cars like the X8 (and equivalents/derivaties) were simply demonstrating that Holden could design the biggest piece of crap on earth and their marketing department could sell anything to the generally one-eyes blind Holden devotee, who bought them without question.
It might be a small market segment, but I'd be happy to own a X8 .. where else can you get an AWD, 4-door ute with V8 power, up to 2300kg towing capacity that drives like a car, not a truck like Yank/Jap stuff ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Ringo
I see you....

bad decisions are made in good times.....holden really haven't had the success they hoped for considering the investment.

interesting write up BOF.....and welcome
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The fuel consumption of the TS is actually worse than the X8 and by a significant amount, on the road the X8 was good for an average of around 11.8 - 12.0 per 100kms (after edit), at the same speed the TS is up around 12.8-13.2 which isnt all that good and actually significantly worse than I expected.
On a few occasions I've had Territory's as hire cars the best fuel economy figure I could get was 14.5 l/100 km (rural driving) & then I had to baby it :

So your doing alright
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you reckon the 4 speed is good you should try the 6 speed auto. I am pretty sure I saw a territory with a supercharged 5.4L V8 at the Holden vs Ford show a few years back.
Yes, here it is: http://www.trueblueford.com/discussi...pic.php?p=7529
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
mowog
Discovery 4

Hey mate

Come down and join us in the Territory section...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

I have myself just purchased a SY TX AWD (yes havent changed sig yet) and I must say the 6 speed auto is a way better unit than the 4 speed in the BF RTV ute.

Economy has been around 10.5l/100 highway straight out of the box, average is about 12.3l/100 so very happy with that.

Has only done about 500km so far
Old 15-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Hello,

The AWD system in the Territory is so far ahead of the system in the X8 that they can't really be compared, drove along the beach yesterday, the same beach I have driven along many times before in the X8 and the X8 was always applying the brakes, traction control on, as the system creeked and groaned along and unable to be turned off, the territory system did not even come on and I was not left wishing I could turn it off until I really got into it and then I have the luxury of an "off" switch which was great.

Interesting comment given they both have the same 4wd system under them.

Also you can get the Turbo, but economy is even worse.

Personally I'd have the TS as well, but the X8 is a good bit of gear (for its market). I came close to buying a Ghia but in the end decided less power, worse fuel economy, worse handling and no V8 noise just wasn't worth it. I wouldn't have the X8 either as I don't like wagons. Can't wait for a Turbo Diesel Ghia on the Orion platform.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
Interesting comment given they both have the same 4wd system under them.

Also you can get the Turbo, but economy is even worse.

Personally I'd have the TS as well, but the X8 is a good bit of gear (for its market). I came close to buying a Ghia but in the end decided less power, worse fuel economy, worse handling and no V8 noise just wasn't worth it. I wouldn't have the X8 either as I don't like wagons. Can't wait for a Turbo Diesel Ghia on the Orion platform.
System is the same however the calibration is different....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
BOF Cross8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
System is the same however the calibration is different....
Whatever it is they drive like poles apart on the soft stuff! Cant be compared.
Old 16-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #15
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, what were you thinking trading the powerful LS1 for the humble barra?!!! Lol just joking :
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
BOF Cross8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
Hey mate, what were you thinking trading the powerful LS1 for the humble barra?!!! Lol just joking :
If I was just selling and engine and buying and engine then I would shoot myself, 182 Barra Vs Ls1 with edit!

As the X8 and Terry weigh about the same the Ls1 is a gem, feels like twice the grunt and about 10% less fuel!!

As this is FF I understand that many of you have not owned Holdens for long periods of times, I have owned BAXR6, EDXR8, EA, ED, VS, VT, VX.

Many of you bag the Gen3 for oil issues, while that may be true, when you get a good one the engine is a killer, plenty of grunt, bulletproof and cheap on fuel, cant ask for much more really!
Old 17-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
If you reckon the 4 speed is good you should try the 6 speed auto. I am pretty sure I saw a territory with a supercharged 5.4L V8 at the Holden vs Ford show a few years back.
Yes, here it is: http://www.trueblueford.com/discussi...pic.php?p=7529
not much territory left underneth that car....
all the suspension and steering is XR8 stuff....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #18
mustang70

Quote:
Many of you bag the Gen3 for oil issues, while that may be true, when you get a good one the engine is a killer, plenty of grunt, bulletproof and cheap on fuel, cant ask for much more really!
yeah i love the LS1,would give up the clevo to shive one under my bonnet,especially beacause it would annoy so many people to do so,shame about the fuel on the territory but they sure do seem like a good vehicle,and from limited driving of both vehicles the territory is much smoother than the X8

scott
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

The problem is finding that "1".
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Homer
Poor IT dude

Welcome back BOF :dr_Evil:
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote