Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Best bang for your bucks small car under 25 grand poll
Ford : Fiesta 21 9.33%
Ford : Focus 55 24.44%
Holden: Astra 10 4.44%
Holden: Viva 0 0%
Honda: Civic 5 2.22%
Honda: Jazz 0 0%
Hyundai: Accent 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Elantra 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Getz 4 1.78%
Kia: Cerrato 2 0.89%
Mazda: 2 1 0.44%
Mazda: 3 46 20.44%
Mitsubitchi: Colt 2 0.89%
Mitsubitshi: Lancer 10 4.44%
Nissan: Pulsar 0 0%
Nissan: Tida 0 0%
Peugeot:XR 5dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XR 3dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XT 5dr 1.6 1 0.44%
Peugeot: C 5dr 1.6 0 0%
Suberu: Impreza 15 6.67%
Suzuki: Swift 11 4.89%
Toyota: Corolla 7 3.11%
Toyota: Yaris 3 1.33%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.9 TDI 23 10.22%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.6 3 1.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #181
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
How can anyone not like the feel of a Golf interior? All it takes to notice the difference (re - world benchmark quality) is to sit in the GTI then its competitors (XR5 Turbo, Megane 225 etc). I was at the motorshow today, and well, I was unimpressed by the XR5's interior. In all seriousness, my WP Fiesta Zetec feels like a more expensive car inside, and its often complained about seats are way better. The stupid XR5 seat is very narrow, one of the bolster things is directly under my thigh/bottom. Have to sit all weird in it to get anything remotely comfortable. The leather on the wheel felt like it was plastic and the dash was pretty bad feeling.

The Golf... it doesn't feel like a $39,990 car. It feels like a $139,990 car. They're not praied without reason. And then there's also the fact that the interior... stays together (so does the whole car but...). After a decade everything will still work, and still feel like it did when it was new. Few cars can lay claim to that, even some that are supposedly world-leading (try a 10+ yr old Lexus out and prepare to be unimpressed at the leather that's gone hard and started cracking, rattles, squeaks, and little switches that don't work properly anymore).
Well I have no hesitation in believing you on the Golf's quality/reliabilty - that is withought question - but I really thought the interior LOOKED seriously cheap and very boring, very plasticy and THAT 80's radio...shudders...

Someone mentioned changing the head unit in some of these cars - I imagine it would be difficult given that most are not a standard size (about 4 inches high) and many simply cannot be changed ala BA/BF Falcon's, so factory head units need to look good these days.

As far as the Golf interior vs its competitors I didnt get to sit in a Fiesta so cant comment on that vs XR5T but you didn't mention the Mazda 3 MPS interior, which looks very modern and a lot classier not to mention the car is a over a full second quicker down the quarter mile, quicker to 100 and around a track - there is a huge difference in performance. The exterior styling of the Golf looks better than the MPS, I will give it that though, but I still don't think it deserves the tag of best hot hatch (even the old model TS Astra turbo was quicker and had a more luxurious interior (full heated leather seats ect). once again though I take your point on build quality).

Out of all the cars I sat in at the show the interiors I liked the most were the new Liberty GT (though at $62K no thanks) and (the big surprise for me) the new BFII Fairmont Ghia interior which at $46K is a bargain - very nice.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 31-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #182
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Someone mentioned changing the head unit in some of these cars - I imagine it would be difficult given that most are not a standard size (about 4 inches high) and many simply cannot be changed ala BA/BF Falcon's, so factory head units need to look good these days.
You can buy a facia that fits right into the hole left behind from the standard unit. Most on the market actually blend into the centre console really well too so it looks factory after installation. Pretty sure its the same for Fiesta too.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 31-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #183
BlackLS

Quote:
I find this interesting. How can it have better reliability when they are the exact same car? The same 2.0 Duratec 4cyl, the same chassis, the same manual and automatic gearboxes, the same suspension, the same brakes, hell, the wheels & tyres are even the same specification. And on that note, how can the driveability be better - when its the exact same car?

Oh and as for being underpowered, there's a 1kW difference between the current Mazda 3 (108kW) and the Focus (107kW), and the pre-minor update Mazda 3's had 104kW. Though it is the exact same 2.0 Duratec engine, with an ECU tweak here or there.
Steffo, suspension is different.

Most people would comment the Focus is a better drive than the 3.

Old 31-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #184
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The mazda3 and Focus share the same platform this doesn't mean they are exactly the same car.

The engine is almost the same but the mazda has VVT and puts out (108kw, 182nm) while the focus unit puts out (107kw, 185nm). The gearbox are different with different ratios in each. The focus has a wider track front and back and they weight pretty much the same.

IIRC correctly the Focus has 15,000km service intervals while the Mazda has 10,000km intervals.
Old 31-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #185
plee

Quote:
The stupid XR5 seat is very narrow, one of the bolster things is directly under my thigh/bottom. Have to sit all weird in it to get anything remotely comfortable. The leather on the wheel felt like it was plastic and the dash was pretty bad feeling.
Actually, I thought the XR5 seat was great, so comfortable, I just sunk into it, I'd love to be able to get some for my Focus...
Old 20-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #186
pb02
inconceivable!

I'm currently looking at these options for my wife. We are both leaning towards the focus at the moment. I have to say I was dissapointed with the interior of the Polo and Golf, I'm sure they are great cars but both my wife and I thought they were both very bland. (not Gti's)
The focus was great, dealer is also going to get us one for a couple of days to see what we think. Volkswagen, on the other hand, told me to go to another dealer to get a test drive...
I have to say I was very impresssed with the focus interior. Sat in the XR5 and, in my opinion, thought it was great!! Loved the seats layout and look. Looking to see what we have to do to upgrade to the XR5 now. lol
Old 23-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #187
StookEB

I was able to drive a Mazda 3 the other and found it a great package. Good power, brakes, drivability. I'm used to a EA CFI 5Sp so it fell very sensitive to drive, although it was the 5sp version, definetly needs the 6SP. On the highway at 100kph it was sitting on around 3000. I was never a fan of 4cyl but i have definetly changed my mind.
Old 24-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #188
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having driven the Astra CDTi, Polo TDi, Golf 2.0TDI, Mazda 6 MZR-CD, Mazda 3 SP23 - I found the Astra CDTi the more sporty and fun car to drive than all of the others, and felt as well made as the Golf, but lacked some interior comfort features of the Golf- but the actual car and the way it drives outdid ALL the others, and not badly priced - definately worth a look for those who want a pocket rocket
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #189
j4mes
Starter Motor

anyone considered a suzuki ignis sport? very hard to come across but well worth it if u get your hands on one. it will beat a fiesta zetec and barina. 0- 100kmh in 8.9 sec and 1/4 mile in 16.9 pretty fast for a sml car. 85kw 1.5 litre dohc and weighs 915 kg. though the car really is more so a track car. recaro seats standard etc well worth a look. but good luck finding one i tried for 3 months and finaly got one no regrets.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:25 AM   #190
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the golf/polo interior is overrrated. Sure... the quality may be top notch but it's too conservative IMHO especially the centre console. I prefer the mazda 3's interior which is more modern and hi-tech looking.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #191
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4mes
anyone considered a suzuki ignis sport? very hard to come across but well worth it if u get your hands on one. it will beat a fiesta zetec and barina. 0- 100kmh in 8.9 sec and 1/4 mile in 16.9 pretty fast for a sml car. 85kw 1.5 litre dohc and weighs 915 kg. though the car really is more so a track car. recaro seats standard etc well worth a look. but good luck finding one i tried for 3 months and finaly got one no regrets.
Hey James, Ignis Sport? or Swift Sport? I dont think anything with "Ignis" badge can run that fast in a straight line.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #192
j4mes
Starter Motor

definately an ignis sport dude. look it up for yourself. they really are a rare find though. im aware i sound crazy putting suzuki ignis and 8.9secs in the sentance but i cant lie. its great too see all the suprised faces when you take off.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #193
j4mes
Starter Motor

a link to follow if anyone is curious to observe the ignis sport.
p.s i said 16.9 1/4 but its actually 16.5secs my bad

http://www.suzukiautoco.com/Ignis_Sport.htm
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #194
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
I have not ever made it personal by calling someone a tool...

If you are insulted about the negative comments about your car then I would suggest that at some level you think my doubts about the Fiesta have some truth in them...
You can't just come into a thread and say a car is rubbish and expect that everyone will agree with you let alone anyone who owns one

Who looks at brakes on a 20k car anyway? maybe on an xr8 or a gt or something you might consider upgrading the brakes but come on it's a fiesta

personally i'd consider a polo TDi, very nice design, excellent engine, unbeatable fuel economy and nice interior plus it's the cheapest diesel in Australia
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #195
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

I dont know about under 25 grand, but i bought mine for 26k on road and i would fair say its the most fun this side of $26,001.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #196
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
You can't just come into a thread and say a car is rubbish and expect that everyone will agree with you let alone anyone who owns one

Who looks at brakes on a 20k car anyway? maybe on an xr8 or a gt or something you might consider upgrading the brakes but come on it's a fiesta

personally i'd consider a polo TDi, very nice design, excellent engine, unbeatable fuel economy and nice interior plus it's the cheapest diesel in Australia
This thread was over done months ago... :yeees:

But while we are here... Maybe the ball park with change with the XR4/ST coming... I might even go give one a drive... It could be a good choice for my daughter.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #197
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
This thread was over done months ago... :yeees:

But while we are here... Maybe the ball park with change with the XR4/ST coming... I might even go give one a drive... It could be a good choice for my daughter.
ok forgive me my bad look at the time of my post, kinda tired.

anyway I didn't mean to mine thread I did a search for something and this was the first to come up so i naturally assumed it was a recent thread but I guess it wasn't
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #198
plext
Forum Director

You will both warrant a holiday if you don't stop dragging this from thread to thread.

Please cut it out.
Closed Thread