Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What to you do when the heavens open?
Pull over and stop immediately 3 1.99%
Continue to a low traffic area and pull over 6 3.97%
Continue slowly to planned destination with headlights on 138 91.39%
Continue slowly to planned destination with hazard lights on 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #61
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

I vouch for the safety vests, I got one in my Monty just incase I need to be bent over changing a right front or rear. I've heard the stories of people killed by other less observant truckies and drivers alike.

In regards to rain, on the way to Goulburn early last year a sudden down pour and I mean sudden as if someone tipped a bucket over us saw all these cars suddenly brake and pull to the side. I couldn't believe it!

Sure if you have so little confidence you need to stop, do it, but do it with caution for fricks sake.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #62
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I got given a high-vis safety vest for work (courier) .... and I always keep it in the car ... it's necessary around busy loading docks ... and I do keep it on when I have to make my way through the city streets on foot as well .. just as an extra precaution.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Mitchay wrote: I reckon rear fog lights should be standard on any car.
I agree completely, and like most of us - dislike their being used in clear or near clear conditions.

My personal view is that it would be "actionable negligence" where both the government (Comm) and manufacturer *could* be liable for damages as defendants, in that the lamps are not mandatory or fitted under the 'optional' allowance (Commonwealth liability), should a person be injured or killed, where it could be shown the lamps could in all probability have saved the life of the person/s or reduced the crash severity, under seriously reduced visibility. The lamps are designed to serve a specific purpose. A manufacturer would be liable for not giving the consumer the cost effective protection that he or she deserves.

In recent months, the ADR's have become effectively 'parliamentary law', they are listed in full on the web, where each is downloadable in Pdf.

What makes ADR52 (our copy of UNECE38) mandatory or not, is part 8.5 of ADR13 - for MA, MB, MC vehicle categories. (Passenger cars, vans, 4WD's).

Here, ADR13, 8.5.1 references the lamps as 'optional', and that the UN regulation which stipulates 'mandatory' (UNECE38) is opted out domestically.

That needs to change and Lloyds department should make determined effort in that regard. The FCAI should get its collective efforts together to give consumers the best the world has to offer by way of safety. What we get now by way of 'additional equipment' afforded to markets in EU and China as standard equipment, is very third world.

I have particular concern seeing as we seem to be coming out of a decade and more of drought conditions, meaning that the incidence of wet weather crashes and fog like conditions will again increase, resulting in an increase in the number of multi-vehicle impacts we have seen, such as here in NSW during the 80's; 56, 14, 9 car pile-ups. The last number was one I saw at Ourimbah one morning in fog on the F3. A SAAB was involved, it had a rear fog, but the driver didn't know it had one! The 56 figure was an F6 occurrence that resulted in the NSW hazard lights allowance of 1988. That well-meaning but ludicrous allowance should NOT have happened. NSW should have found a way of mandating ADR52 for THIS STATE ALONE INSTEAD.

And might yet. . . .for 'new market entries', IF the Commonwealth doesn't get its collective s... together.

Quote:
Ozfords wrote: I vouch for the safety vests, I got one in my Monty just incase I need to be bent over changing a right front or rear. I've heard the stories of people killed by other less observant truckies and drivers alike.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story...005940,00.html
This one involved a Falcon, by accounts with hazard lights on. Triangle? Doubt it, vest? Nope. Each of these items are law to use at all breakdown and crash scenes in Europe, except GB.

Mechan1k, thanks for your feedback sport.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #64
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Interesting topic, I'll read in depth when I have more time.

I got caught in serious rain on Monday 26th Feb on my way from Coffs to Sydney - it rained most of the way, and got very heavy around the Central Coast. It was the first time I've had a chance to evaluate the AWD properly, and I came away very impressed. It shimmied once or twice when it tried to aquaplane, but it sorted itself out straight away, and for most of the trip I was able to maintain 110km/h (slowing around other traffic of course). AWD gets a big thumbs-up from me. If we'd been in my VT Berlina we'd have been travelling far more slowly.

It helps to remember that AWD is only of such benefit when under power - the car will still slide off the road just like any other car if you overdo it. And braking distances don't change with AWD.

The only other cars travelling at the same speeds as me were other Subies, and the odd 4WD. Oh, and a black Corvette which looked like it had 285s on the back, and must have had a driver with cojones the same size!

Where's our AWD BF GT-HO? : )
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #65
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I got given a high-vis safety vest for work (courier) .... and I always keep it in the car ... it's necessary around busy loading docks ... and I do keep it on when I have to make my way through the city streets on foot as well .. just as an extra precaution.
Safety vests (with reflective coatings) are a great idea.

It gives Forkies something to aim for!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #66
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is one reason why i would like to have standard steel wheels on my car. (in my case I dont) Main reason being, is if I was to say get a flat tyre along the highway *single lane, no shoulder road such as up between Townsville and Ingham. There is literally no place to stop. there is no shoulder on the road, and there is a four metre drop over the side of the road into swampy stuff...
so I would rather continue on at a slower safer* speed until such time as it is safe to change the wheel... and being a steelie, who cares if its got scratches and the tyre is stuffed... I bet the driver of that car would have driven it home if he had a choice in the matter.. better than being roadkill!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #67
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Safety vests (with reflective coatings) are a great idea.

It gives Forkies something to aim for!

Yeah ... i think the buggers deliberately aim for me on occasion. :
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #68
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Mechan1k, thanks for your feedback sport.
Anything to be seen ... hee hee .... some drivers out there really are that blind that you need to be in flouro at all times ... hee hee